Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:57:16 pm

Author Topic: Deakin University Study Score Calculator  (Read 7664 times)  Share 

DumpleDorf

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Deakin University Study Score Calculator
« on: August 13, 2020, 06:13:26 pm »
+1
I was wondering if anyone really knew how accurate the Deakin University study score calculator was. It doesn't seem the most stable or reliable ahah.

Here's the link: https://atar-calculator.deakin.edu.au/vce-study-score-calculator/

Thx
2019: Software Development [34]
2020: English Language, Methods, Physics, Accounting, Systems Engineering
ATAR Goal: 80.00
1st Course Preference: Bachelor of Computer Science @ RMIT University

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: Deakin University Study Score Calculator
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 06:16:46 pm »
+5
Having used it (but not actually tried it out because obviously I haven't finished my subjects yet, so dunno if it's accurate) I think it's not accurate, at least not this year. This year, so many unknowns, so I think probably don't trust it one little scrap. Maybe as a very general guide, but not the be-all and end-all, if you know what I mean.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

mathsTeacher82

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 08:37:37 pm »
+5
I tried the Deakin calculator and to me the VTAC scaling part looks fine, the exam score part looks fine, but the missing part is that it makes no effort to moderate SAC scores. An 80% SAC score can mean a completely different thing in two different schools, depending on the difficulty of the SAC and the cohort of students. That is the whole reason VCAA uses a SAC moderation process.

Mod edit: removed link to competitor site. :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 08:17:43 pm by insanipi »

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 10:13:12 pm »
Hey, sorry to bring up an older topic but I was wondering if the Deakin calculator would be accurate for sacs which don't scale?
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 10:22:36 pm »
+3
Hey, sorry to bring up an older topic but I was wondering if the Deakin calculator would be accurate for sacs which don't scale?
I entered my scaled SAC scores and exam score for a subject I did in year 11, but it gave me only 46-48 if I remember correctly. So, I'd say it's not very accurate even if you assume the entered SAC scores are the final ones that will be used to calculate your study score. This is because cohort performance on the exam changes every year, so it's impossible to say any calculator is 100% accurate - there will always be inconsistencies.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 10:29:26 pm »
+5
I entered my scaled SAC scores and exam score for a subject I did in year 11, but it gave me only 46-48 if I remember correctly. So, I'd say it's not very accurate even if you assume the entered SAC scores are the final ones that will be used to calculate your study score. This is because cohort performance on the exam changes every year, so it's impossible to say any calculator is 100% accurate - there will always be inconsistencies.

"only 46-48" as a study score? Because like, trying to tell the difference between is a 48 and 50 is really, REALLY, difficult, and I don't think any calculator is going to be able to do that. Kudos on managing to do so well, btw

Fun fact: statistically, more people will get a 50 study score than will get a 49, and the same amount that get a 48 will get a 50, because that's how the maths works.

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 06:08:23 am »
+1
Thank you whys and keltingmeith for answering!!

Fun fact: statistically, more people will get a 50 study score than will get a 49, and the same amount that get a 48 will get a 50, because that's how the maths works.
Wow that's really cool!  Especially how less people get 49's than 50's!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 09:41:25 am »
+1
"only 46-48" as a study score? Because like, trying to tell the difference between is a 48 and 50 is really, REALLY, difficult, and I don't think any calculator is going to be able to do that. Kudos on managing to do so well, btw
Yep haha, so my experience would more apply to the higher end then - the calculator is inaccurate when it comes to predicting around a 45+. But like you said, all calculators would be inaccurate here.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash