Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:49:41 pm

Author Topic: HSC English Question Thread  (Read 30431 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
HSC English Question Thread
« on: November 11, 2018, 02:44:24 pm »
+8

What is this thread for?
If you have general questions about the HSC English Course, or questions relating to the common module (Texts and Human Experiences) this is the place to ask them!! We have other question threads where you can ask more specific questions about English Standard  and English Advanced too! :)

Who can/will answer questions?
Everyone is welcome to contribute; even if you're unsure of yourself, providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable.

Please don't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't finished Year 12, or didn't score as highly as others, or your advice contradicts something else you've seen on this thread, or whatever; none of this disqualifies you from helping others. And if you're worried you do have some sort of misconception, put it out there and someone else can clarify and modify your understanding! 

There'll be a whole bunch of other high-scoring students with their own wealths of wisdom to share with you. So you may even get multiple answers from different people offering their insights - very cool.

To ask a question or make a post, you will first need an ATAR Notes account. You probably already have one, but if you don't, it takes about four seconds to sign up - and completely free!

OTHER ENGLISH RESOURCES
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 07:28:02 am by jamonwindeyer »

Rohit Bhat

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC English Question Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 02:46:59 pm »
Hey,
So for short answers, since they can ask a question worth like 7 marks. How much are you expected to write because I had my teacher say like 2 and a half pages is that true?

Thanks,
Rohit

dani01

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 03:00:49 pm »
+1
Hey,
So for short answers, since they can ask a question worth like 7 marks. How much are you expected to write because I had my teacher say like 2 and a half pages is that true?

Thanks,
Rohit

yep it should be like a full mini essay. intro, 2 paragraphs (1 on each text), and then maybe like 2 comparative sentences and something overarching about the human experience to just top it off. It depends how big your writing is but 2 1/2 pages sounds about right!

Rohit Bhat

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 03:03:53 pm »
yep it should be like a full mini essay. intro, 2 paragraphs (1 on each text), and then maybe like 2 comparative sentences and something overarching about the human experience to just top it off. It depends how big your writing is but 2 1/2 pages sounds about right!

Oh ok thanks

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 09:14:41 pm »
Hello Everyone! ;D

I am currently studying the common module and have come across this quote within my prescribed text:

“When I was lonely, confused and angry”

I know this quote has something to do with Human Emotion and the experiences causing one to have these emotions, but how exactly would I incorporate and write about all of these ideas within a paragraph that sounds sophisticated and concise? ???

Thanks in advance! :D

Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 09:24:58 pm by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Tahlia De La Mare

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 11:40:14 am »
Hey Everyone. I've recently started the yr 12 HSC course and my teacher helping me understand the course. This term's assessment involves writing a forum script concerning human experiences within the text "go back to where you came from"- a social experiment of racism and refugees.

Would any of you have an idea on how you would do the task? I honestly have no idea how to start it.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 01:43:42 pm »
Hey Everyone. I've recently started the yr 12 HSC course and my teacher helping me understand the course. This term's assessment involves writing a forum script concerning human experiences within the text "go back to where you came from"- a social experiment of racism and refugees.

Would any of you have an idea on how you would do the task? I honestly have no idea how to start it.

Hey, Tahlia De La Mare!

I would start by drawing from the rubric and seeing what aspects of the human experience link to the text most. You could look at individual experiences, collective experiences, human motivations and behaviours as potential concepts to explore. I have never done a forum script myself; could you perhaps elaborate on more details of how the assessment is meant to be approached? That might give my response some more direction  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

mani.s_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 10:59:06 pm »
Hi, I'm currently studying English Standard and my prescribed text for the common module is 'Billy Elliot'. What's a good related text for Billy Elliot??? I'm not much of a reader so I don't know what to choose. I was thinking of choosing Percy Jackson just because I love that series and have read the book but I don't know?? Our teacher told us not to do a film as our prescribed text is also a film and I don't want to do a novel that I haven't read cause I really don't want to spend my time reading it. I possibly wanna do a poem, short story/film or an essay but I'm not too sure what to pick.

Any advice or suggestion would be really helpful. Thanks :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:00:38 pm by mani.s_ »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 10:12:24 am »
+1
Hi, I'm currently studying English Standard and my prescribed text for the common module is 'Billy Elliot'. What's a good related text for Billy Elliot??? I'm not much of a reader so I don't know what to choose. I was thinking of choosing Percy Jackson just because I love that series and have read the book but I don't know?? Our teacher told us not to do a film as our prescribed text is also a film and I don't want to do a novel that I haven't read cause I really don't want to spend my time reading it. I possibly wanna do a poem, short story/film or an essay but I'm not too sure what to pick.

Hey, mani.s_!

I agree with your teacher in that since you already have a film for your prescribed text, it would be wiser to choose a different form for the related text to give you room to compare and showcase your analysis skills. Novels do offer a wealth of knowledge and opportunity for being used as related texts but do require commitment and investment to work. I've offered a few options based on the themes of Billy Elliot below if you're thinking of using poetry or a TED talk. Both of these forms allow you to explore techniques unique to them (poetic techniques, performance techniques etc.) and still give you room to unpack ideas.

Poetry

Mother and Son
Big Dreams

TED Talks
How movies teach manhood
Why I'm done trying to be "man" enough
Change your mindset and achieve anything
Dance as Therapy
Body language and gender from a dancer's perspective

You can also check out our amazing related texts compilation for more pointers! They all link to Texts and Human Experiences so they'll be useful  :) Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 11:04:31 am »
+1

Hey!

I studied Billy Elliot as well, for my related text I chose Aquifer by Tim Winton. Its a short story that dwells on teenage rebellion and loss which are also human experiences found in Billy Elliot. It's really easy to get through and has a wide array of techniques including some paradoxes as well which link directly to the rubric (these are much harder techniques to identify in texts so including them in your response can help you get into higher bands).

Hope this helps you!  :D

HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

mani.s_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 11:16:06 am »
Hey, mani.s_!

I agree with your teacher in that since you already have a film for your prescribed text, it would be wiser to choose a different form for the related text to give you room to compare and showcase your analysis skills. Novels do offer a wealth of knowledge and opportunity for being used as related texts but do require commitment and investment to work. I've offered a few options based on the themes of Billy Elliot below if you're thinking of using poetry or a TED talk. Both of these forms allow you to explore techniques unique to them (poetic techniques, performance techniques etc.) and still give you room to unpack ideas.

Poetry

Mother and Son
Big Dreams

TED Talks
How movies teach manhood
Why I'm done trying to be "man" enough
Change your mindset and achieve anything
Dance as Therapy
Body language and gender from a dancer's perspective

You can also check out our amazing related texts compilation for more pointers! They all link to Texts and Human Experiences so they'll be useful  :) Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! :)

mani.s_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 11:16:51 am »
Hey!

I studied Billy Elliot as well, for my related text I chose Aquifer by Tim Winton. Its a short story that dwells on teenage rebellion and loss which are also human experiences found in Billy Elliot. It's really easy to get through and has a wide array of techniques including some paradoxes as well which link directly to the rubric (these are much harder techniques to identify in texts so including them in your response can help you get into higher bands).

Hope this helps you!  :D
THANK YOU SO MUCH, I'll make sure I check it out :)

literallygotnojams13

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 02:59:46 pm »
+1
Hi, I am currently studying English standard and my prescribed text is 'go back to where you came from'. I am planning on doing my presentation about Struggle with adversity in my prescribed text and related text which is 'On Her Knees' by Tim Winton. I really need help with finding scenes in both texts that correlate with struggle with adversity.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 10:49:12 pm »
+1
Hi, I am currently studying English standard and my prescribed text is 'go back to where you came from'. I am planning on doing my presentation about Struggle with adversity in my prescribed text and related text which is 'On Her Knees' by Tim Winton. I really need help with finding scenes in both texts that correlate with struggle with adversity.
"Go Back To Where You Came From" is such a fantastic show. Can you use any episode from any season or only one season in particular? A lot of the conversations in Episode 3 (S1) with families stuck in source countries could be really good examples of struggle and adversity. In Season 4, some of the participants face bomb and shooting threats; this is an example of the everyday adversity faced in war zones.

Best of luck!

literallygotnojams13

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 04:59:29 pm »
+1
"Go Back To Where You Came From" is such a fantastic show. Can you use any episode from any season or only one season in particular? A lot of the conversations in Episode 3 (S1) with families stuck in source countries could be really good examples of struggle and adversity. In Season 4, some of the participants face bomb and shooting threats; this is an example of the everyday adversity faced in war zones.

Best of luck!

Hi, yeah we have to focus on episodes 1-3 from season 3, I can maybe do a paragraph on families being stuck in source countries, thank you for your help :). Also would the interview with Masara (episode 1) where she talks about losing her baby be an example of struggle with adversity?
Thank you again for your help !