Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:41:26 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231682 times)

dani01

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4545 on: October 15, 2019, 04:59:37 pm »
For the reflective, do we include quotes from the prescribed text we drew inspo from?

Also, I'm really panicked for Module C as I do not have a narrative prepared and don't know what to do if they ask us to "explore a moment of in the text from one of the persona's in your prescribed text." My teacher has not analysed with us any Module C texts in great depth or context. We did Picture A Vacuum but I don't know how to use that in a narrative. Plz help :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Hey I'm able to answer the first half of your question. So For your reflective yes. I think a good 3 or 4 quotes throughout stating where you drew inspo from. You would also use say the stylistic feature they have utilised, that you have also used in your piece of writing and probably give quote their working, giving an example.

As for the narrative- you should have done two prescribed texts for Module C. Lots of schools have done one a non fiction along with a speech/poetry so that they can answer this type of question in the test. Are you sure you didn't do another text? You should check with your teacher because those were the requirements. I think if they were to ask a question like this they would probably say "persona, character, speaker" catering to all types of prescribed texts. As for how to make it into a narrative maybe angelina can answer that for you when she sees this :)

Hope all this helps you out. Don't fret you will be ok

papa kwan

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4546 on: October 15, 2019, 05:22:18 pm »
Regarding Paper 2:

1) Is it ok to do 2 paragraphs for at least one of the essays? I've done quite a few practice papers now and I can't write 3 paragraphs for Mod A and Mod B, and then have a complete Mod C after that

2) Kinda building on the first question, is it better to do 2 paragraphs but with 5-6 quotes each or 3 paragraphs 4 quotes each or does it really not matter?

violet123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4547 on: October 15, 2019, 05:49:56 pm »
Hi,
For my HSC preparation. I have prepared 3 themes for each of my text. Is that enough or is there other stuff such as characters or whatever I still need to prepare?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4548 on: October 15, 2019, 06:11:44 pm »
+1
Regarding Paper 2:

1) Is it ok to do 2 paragraphs for at least one of the essays? I've done quite a few practice papers now and I can't write 3 paragraphs for Mod A and Mod B, and then have a complete Mod C after that

2) Kinda building on the first question, is it better to do 2 paragraphs but with 5-6 quotes each or 3 paragraphs 4 quotes each or does it really not matter?

Hey, papa kwan!

So in response to your first question, it depends on what you mean by two paragraphs. You can definitely still get a Band 6 with two ideas and a body for each. For Module A, two paragraphs to me would mean a theme per paragraph with both texts being discussed. If that's what you're referring to then that's completely okay to do! I would personally recommend that Module B have three paragraphs and your Module C can therefore have some room to be completed!

As for quotes and techniques, I always did three quotes per body paragraph for a three paragraph structure to have variety in ideas and to really allow my analysis to grow. If you're doing the Module A style essay structure I have suggested above, I would have four quotes (two for each text) per paragraph (so eight in total). Hope that makes sense!

Hi,
For my HSC preparation. I have prepared 3 themes for each of my text. Is that enough or is there other stuff such as characters or whatever I still need to prepare?

Hey, violet123!

That should be enough for you to go off of but just check the rubric and see if there's any concepts you feel might need backup quotes for in case you get them in the exam. Do you have something for a paradox question? Is there something you have ready for a human emotions question? Just see what else there is that might be targeted. This also goes for the other modules too. Always better to be over than underprepared  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Muir.mclennan

• Adventurer
« Reply #4549 on: October 15, 2019, 07:35:43 pm »
Hey, so I was just wondering, with a technique specific question, for example:

How has your understanding of anomalies in human behaviour been shaped by the composer's use of imagery and irony in your prescribed text?

Would your thesis have to directly address these techniques, or can it be a more broad statement?

Thanks a lot!

violet123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4550 on: October 15, 2019, 09:24:16 pm »
Hi,
For module C, do I need to prepare a discursive, creative and persuasive? Seeing the limited time frame, I only have a creative and a discursive currently.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4551 on: October 15, 2019, 10:21:19 pm »
+3
Hey, so I was just wondering, with a technique specific question, for example:

How has your understanding of anomalies in human behaviour been shaped by the composer's use of imagery and irony in your prescribed text?

Would your thesis have to directly address these techniques, or can it be a more broad statement?

Thanks a lot!

Hey, Muir.mclennan!

When it comes to specifying techniques in a question, NESA aims to still choose techniques that broad enough to be what I call "umbrella" techniques and that allow you to elaborate with related techniques. These specified techniques would be really general ones that allow room for further expansion. For example, setting could be specified in which you could then use techniques like imagery, camera angles, lighting, symbolism etc. to support your arguments on its construction. A question like the one you've provided is really specific; the HSC questions would only specify at most one technique (so either imagery or irony). Just wanted to clarify that in case you or anyone else was wondering  :)

As for how you would approach it, keep the thesis itself simply a response to the question in terms of the Human Experience. Say with that question there, a thesis you could write for it could be "Examining anomalies that emerge from complex behaviours and motivations provide readers with deeper insight into the human experience." I would then go on to raise the specified technique as the way you'll demonstrate the representation of these concepts in the essay. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D

Hi,
For module C, do I need to prepare a discursive, creative and persuasive? Seeing the limited time frame, I only have a creative and a discursive currently.

Hey, violet123!

A creative and discursive will suffice  :) I highly doubt in the first exam for the new syllabus that they'll specify a form to write in. I am almost certain that they will provide you an option so go with what you have already prepared and what you're confident with  :) You could also just turn your discursive into a persuasive if need be by choosing a perspective to really focus on and convince the reader to side with you as a result  :) Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

dani01

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4552 on: October 16, 2019, 09:59:24 am »
+1
Hey would someone be able to explain to me what modality in visual technique is? I know it is a literary technique but can't find anywhere a straight up explanation of what it means visually. Thanks! :D :D

EDIT: don't worry I just found something. For anyone else wondering high modality is when the image looks real e.g. photo or realistic illustration. Low modality is like a cartoon or drawing.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 10:04:01 am by dani01 »

violet123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4553 on: October 16, 2019, 11:50:20 am »
I need help getting my head around this.
I am studying The Crucible, why is intolerance of individuality a complex human experience?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4554 on: October 16, 2019, 12:22:04 pm »
+1
I need help getting my head around this.
I am studying The Crucible, why is intolerance of individuality a complex human experience?

Hey, violet123!

I wouldn't say the intolerance of individuality itself is a complex human experience, but rather the motivations and behaviours that drive the intolerance to be complex. You would want to consider what deeper intentions the character has that makes them exercise that intolerance. If we look at Danforth's intolerance to Proctor standing up for himself as an example, you could say that his motivations are complex; he wants to be rid of witches in the town like everyone else but he also wants to reinforce his own social position as a leader of morality. Therefore, you could say that his self-interests align with his sense of righteousness and gives his character, which represents intolerance of individuality, complexity. Hope that clarifies that!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

Muir.mclennan

• Adventurer
« Reply #4555 on: October 16, 2019, 04:58:05 pm »
Hey,

Just wondering how much textual evidence, like quotes and identification of techniques, is necessary for one of the larger short answer questions (6-7 marks)?

Any help would be appreciated!

louisaaa01

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #4556 on: October 16, 2019, 06:54:20 pm »
+2
Hey,

Just wondering how much textual evidence, like quotes and identification of techniques, is necessary for one of the larger short answer questions (6-7 marks)?

Any help would be appreciated!

I'd say to aim for about 6 quotes from throughout the piece with techniques + varied analysis. If you're comparing two short-answer texts, include about three quotes from each text.
2019 ATAR: 99.95

2020 - 2026

USYD BSci / Doctor of Medicine

jelena_nina2001

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4557 on: October 16, 2019, 09:01:18 pm »
how many quotes have you guys memorised for common mod?

phungies

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4558 on: October 16, 2019, 10:06:26 pm »
+2
how many quotes have you guys memorised for common mod?

5 per paragraph (I have 3 paragraphs), but I have three large quotes and 2 small ones (paraphrasing them)

Carolineee

• Adventurer
« Reply #4559 on: October 17, 2019, 01:47:26 pm »
How Are yous studying for Paper 2, especially Mod C, I was planning to memorise a discursive essay from someone's viewpoint and just adapt it and maybe memorise a creative. But after today, idk what to do after that curveball they threw at us.