Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:52:44 am

Author Topic: Unit selections (Bachelor of Commerce) question  (Read 2140 times)  Share 

ychi

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Unit selections (Bachelor of Commerce) question
« on: June 15, 2021, 09:19:27 pm »
Not really sure whether this is the right place to ask this but hopefully it is. I'm planning out the units that I'm gonna take for year 1-3 and I'm trying to make it easier on me in year 3 by adding in some level 1 units as well. The problem is this means that I'm going to have to take some level 3 units in year 1 & 2.

Does anyone know whether it'll be too much to handle and an overkill if I were to take acc2400 + acc2100 + etc1000 + btc3150 in year 1 (sem 1, next year). I've heard people say that acc2100 is one of the harder units and the load for acc2400 and btc3150 is a lot so I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle it in year 1. The thing is I'll be taking the prerequisites for these units in sem 2 (this year) anyways so is it really doable or no? Really hoping that someone can help or if you know another place where I can ask this too, let me know please.

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Unit selections (Bachelor of Commerce) question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 11:48:55 pm »
+2
Howdy,

I'm really not sure this is a good idea. I was somewhat in the same shoes as you - I did a long double degree, and in fifth year, I still had first-year management left to do. It was a pretty shit experience. A lot of the first-year unit stuff gets pretty annoying later on, and you're stuck with a bunch of first-years (do we still call them jaffys?) who don't really know how to uni.

Second, I think it's actually a good idea to try out those various first-year subjects early on in your degree, as they give you a taste of what's available in the degree. I would say this is the case even if you're absolutely sure you want to major in accounting, as you could discover a second interest or some interesting electives you might be interested in taking.

I don't know anything about the accounting units and the tax law unit. How difficult or easy you find ETC1000 will depend a lot on your mathematical/stats background.

ychi

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 12:25:46 am »
Hello! Thank you for replying. May I know why you found it annoying?

The thing is, I'm absolutely certain that I'll be majoring in accounting. I'm not really interested in the other majors so I'd rather do something that I've tried before. That's the reason why I decided to get right into it in year 1 but I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle the workload or whether learning other units first beforehand would help me understand the lvl 2&3 units better, even if they're not the prerequisite units. 

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 03:01:13 pm »
+1
Not really sure whether this is the right place to ask this but hopefully it is. I'm planning out the units that I'm gonna take for year 1-3 and I'm trying to make it easier on me in year 3 by adding in some level 1 units as well. The problem is this means that I'm going to have to take some level 3 units in year 1 & 2.

Does anyone know whether it'll be too much to handle and an overkill if I were to take acc2400 + acc2100 + etc1000 + btc3150 in year 1 (sem 1, next year). I've heard people say that acc2100 is one of the harder units and the load for acc2400 and btc3150 is a lot so I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle it in year 1. The thing is I'll be taking the prerequisites for these units in sem 2 (this year) anyways so is it really doable or no? Really hoping that someone can help or if you know another place where I can ask this too, let me know please.

Hey, and welcome to Monash!

Tricky. I'm not an accounting student myself, but I've done similar knowledge in BTC3150 and would not recommend that with the other 3 units. 2400 is straightforward from what I know, but ETC1000 can be a bit up and down. It depends on the exam, but there is a lot of group work and effort to put in so I would recommend doing it with 2100 & 2400 and something else (perhaps ECC1000 / MKC1200 if you haven't done those) as they're pretty good units.

I didn't take any L2 units in my first year and it made sense that way, because I eased myself into the harder content later on. Would recommend that you save the harder units until later, so that way you have a greater understanding of the knowledge like @Professor Polonsky has said.

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 07:58:11 pm »
+1
Hello! Thank you for replying. May I know why you found it annoying?
A lot of "this is how you write an essay", "this is how you submit an assignment", "this is how you research and cite", and various things like that. And a lot of jaffy questions.

ychi

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 02:22:44 pm »
Hey, and welcome to Monash!

Tricky. I'm not an accounting student myself, but I've done similar knowledge in BTC3150 and would not recommend that with the other 3 units. 2400 is straightforward from what I know, but ETC1000 can be a bit up and down. It depends on the exam, but there is a lot of group work and effort to put in so I would recommend doing it with 2100 & 2400 and something else (perhaps ECC1000 / MKC1200 if you haven't done those) as they're pretty good units.

I didn't take any L2 units in my first year and it made sense that way, because I eased myself into the harder content later on. Would recommend that you save the harder units until later, so that way you have a greater understanding of the knowledge like @Professor Polonsky has said.

Thank you for replying! I'll take it into consideration when planning my course map again. Have a nice day!

ychi

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 02:23:34 pm »
A lot of "this is how you write an essay", "this is how you submit an assignment", "this is how you research and cite", and various things like that. And a lot of jaffy questions.

I see, thank you for answering my question. Have a good day!