Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 07:39:43 am

Author Topic: SPONTANEOUS GENERATION I AM SO STUCK  (Read 3362 times)  Share 

I.09

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
SPONTANEOUS GENERATION I AM SO STUCK
« on: May 18, 2021, 06:08:22 pm »
Hey Guys,

I know that the Theory of Spontaneous Generation is about the development of living things from non living matter. I am so confused as to how this theory can account for the development of infectious diseases before the Germ Theory?

Please,
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
Re: SPONTANEOUS GENERATION I AM SO STUCK
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 07:42:09 pm »
+3
Hey Guys,

I know that the Theory of Spontaneous Generation is about the development of living things from non living matter. I am so confused as to how this theory can account for the development of infectious diseases before the Germ Theory?

Please,
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hey I.09! :D

Your definition of Spontaneous Generation is spot on! :)

These are my thoughts:
The Theory of Spontaneous Generation was capable of accounting for the development of infectious diseases because of the "Miasma Theory". Miasma theory is the theory that a poisonous "cloud" or some kind of invisible "bad air" causes infectious diseases.

For Example, it was thought that infectious diseases were caught from the odour of rotting foods or decomposing matter, not from "germs" on surfaces or skin etc. (We now know that this is wrong)

This theory is now obsolete and so too Spontaneous Generation. The current theory we refer to is, "Germ Theory", as supported by Louis Pasteur's Swan Necked Flask experiment, demonstrating that infectious agents do not randomly generate.

These videos may help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9LC-3ZKiok&ab_channel=TED-Ed

The first few minutes of this one --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7zgHcxNAX4&ab_channel=Audiopedia

I hope this helps!
Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

I.09

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 11:02:17 pm »
Thank you so much:)

So then would I be right in saying that:
Spontaneous generation believed that living matter such as germs were produced by non-living matter such as decaying matter, which gave a "miasma" into the air which was responsible for infectious diseases.

And is the spontaneous generation accounting for the development of decay and diseases or is it infectious diseases?

I.09

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 04:39:13 pm »
Hi,
 I have another question about Pasteur's experiment. Is there a reason why the flasks are not exposed to sunlight?

Please any advice/info
Thank you in advance