Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:09:23 am

Author Topic: Why the bad rep?  (Read 42849 times)  Share 

John Smith

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Why the bad rep?
« on: October 26, 2009, 03:45:04 pm »
Why does VU have such a bad rep? Many of its business subjects have an enter similar to Monash? so why the bad rep?

xXNovaxX

Re: Why the bad rep?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 03:57:50 pm »
Why does VU have such a bad rep? Many of its business subjects have an enter similar to Monash? so why the bad rep?
Because most of its courses "only" need 50-60%, so people tend to think low ENTER= Bad. To be honest I also go along with this idea, because compare Melbourne Uni and Monash= ENTERS in the high 80's and 90's, and they are good. But there are obviously other factors involved.

And because MORE people go to Monash for example they tend to have more funds, more reputation, more money available for better courses/teachers/ R&D. Whereas you rarely (if ever) hear Vic Uni discovered something.

As a result if people had the option to go into either Vic Uni or Monash/Melbourne/RMIT etc they choose the latter because they think it sounds better.

Oh and also Monash etc obviously offer a LOT more courses and subjects.

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 04:03:52 pm »
+1
Because most of its courses "only" need 50-60%, so people tend to think low ENTER=

The ENTER is a rank.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

mypurpleundercracka

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 04:05:22 pm »
OH GOD DONT LET ME GET STARTED ON VU HAHAHAH

[IMG]http://hosting11.imagecross.com/image-hosting-19/4554VU.jpg[/img]Image Hosting

In all seriousness though, u know whats even more efd up, my mate's sister got 90 on her enter and chose to do a business degree at VU where u need 50.5 or somethin for banking and finance

xXNovaxX

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 04:36:04 pm »
Because most of its courses "only" need 50-60%, so people tend to think low ENTER=

The ENTER is a rank.

I was merely saying people and understandably so tend to associate ENTER with University. High demand= higher ENTER, so yeah, it sort of is explained in my subsequent points
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 04:38:14 pm by xXNovaxX »

xXNovaxX

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 04:41:27 pm »
OH GOD DONT LET ME GET STARTED ON VU HAHAHAH

[IMG]http://hosting11.imagecross.com/image-hosting-19/4554VU.jpg[/img]Image Hosting

In all seriousness though, u know whats even more efd up, my mate's sister got 90 on her enter and chose to do a business degree at VU where u need 50.5 or somethin for banking and finance
hahahahah, nice. Well I have heard of people form this site who had chance to go Monash/Melbourne and go to RMIT instead or something. LOL, at least with RMIT they sort of ADVERTISE the fact they are a Uni/TAFE lol/ well offer both. Look, it really comes down to the individual person, what they think best suits them.

Vic Uni needs to come out of the closet

xXNovaxX

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 05:00:51 pm »
50-60% ?? %?? firstly its a rank not percentage. Secondly some Vic uni courses need a higher ENTER than melbourne commerce so get your facts straight. Thirdly RMIT is renowned in areas such as Architecture and Accountancy so they may even compete Monash in those areas. One last thing, while Vic uni isn't the best uni, you sure as hell bet yourself that it's had some successful people in the past and the Vic Uni = TAFE thing is DRAINEDDDD.

that is all
QUOTE Because >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>most<<<<<<<<<<<< of its courses etc......

I KNOW some courses in Vic Uni are higher, you'd be stupid to think otehrwise.  And I KNOW RMIT is reknowned in accountancy and Architecture.

Get YOUR facts right. And I will continue writing it as 50-60% because thats how I want. People understand so meh.

You offer generalisations=  People try and point out flaws
You offer opinions=people try and point out flaws
You are biased= people point out flaws

Of course that's only the MINORITY like you, what can u expect from a 16 year old.

I wasn't offering any info which had bias, unless I pointed out IMO, furthermore, I am using generalisations because in this case it was necessary since I don't go to Vic Uni.

Vic Uni in my opinion is a CRAP UNI, yet I didn't say that.  However for some people it is suitable for their course so they go there, and I respect that. Better than you who just types up "rebutallls" over NOTHING, rather than offering any relevant advice.  Does anyone CARE you think VIC Uni=TAFE?

I am more than happy to get CORRECTIONS or ask for clarification, but YOU seem to just shoot out criticism, and abuse. One would tend to expect more from a figure such as urself, and the ROLE that you have on this site.

Nope, couldn't care less. It was merely a joke used by mypurpleudnercracker. He at least ended it on a ntoe which was relevant and useful.

Now to the OP,
  • Try talking to your careers teacher, they offer honets advice about Uni's etc to tailor it to suit YOU
  • Attend Open Day (too late LOL), and try and get a FEEL for it, learn more about ur course
  • Check their website and comapre with otehr Uni's to see what subject you learn, maybe Vic Uni is mroe suitable??
  • Does Vic Uni offer Work Exp? That's always a plus

Wish you well! And don't always just go bye rumours and people dissing this uni over another. I fell for it, until I explored ALL my options.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 05:26:16 pm by xXNovaxX »

xXNovaxX

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 06:32:55 pm »
1= http://www.vtac.edu.au, search it yourself, most Vic Uni coruses have an ENTER of b/w 50-60%
2=Just liek you got a 49 in legal, you got a 31 in Vis comm, and a predicted 28 in chem, big whoops, irrelevant.
3=Quote from your post "Vic Uni = TAFE thing is DRAINEDDDD. ", u did say it
4=I will generalise, its a commonplace occurence, you didn't really clarify yourself here, since I did state it is necessary to generalise since I DON'T GO TO VIC UNI.
5=Look at Uni ranking as a START, Vic Uni never makes the list, or does at a very low place
6= I know RMIT is good in those fields, just like you know it is. You don't see me asking YOU how you know, because it is common sense, you hear it here and there. But after doing some of my own research including talking to several career teachers, my cousins who work in architecture, and some friends who have moved from one Uni to another to do Arch. I concluded this
= Makes me look retarted, haha, nice. Can you now sleep at night now?

Oh, and yeah I don't shy away from saying your Moderator? HAHA you think im to stubborn and self centred to say that? LOl, what's it to me, your Mod, yeah. Cool.

And now if we refer to my original post, I still fail to see what I said which condones your reply. Everything I said was practically true, I was providing some possible reasons to why VU is seen as "bad". Oh but I am glad you were able to pick out "%" and "rank".

And I will stop here. This topic has been grossly off topic. You can argue against each one of those Hard, or ignore them, or say something witty about me. But in the end we are each gonna stay having our same embedded opinions :D, and nothing either one of us says will change that. I won't reply anymore if you do choose to say something which I may disagree with, won't be fair to the OP.

Cya   :laugh:

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 06:50:17 pm by xXNovaxX »

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 06:33:28 pm »
1. VU passes everyone
2. the courses are of ridiculously poor quality (eg. my family friend from VU has a mid sem test that he can do at home)
3. it's fail
4. did i mention its fail?
5. lol vu
6. it's vu
7. Their open book exams are stupid because students use the book samples to get HD -_-
8. lol ur sister is fail mypurpleundercracka 90, 55 damn.
9. They have poor resources
10. They are restricted to H&R Block
11. 80% of their graduates find full time employment... at maccas or nandos if they're lucky.

:)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 06:42:02 pm by AppleXY »

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 06:55:33 pm »
It's VU for crying out loud.

As for what people are saying, the ENTER requirement is between 50 and 60. Most people on VN get in the high 80's - high 90's (a few even getting 99.95). So when you especially have places like RMIT or UoM or Monash offerding courses for high ENTER's, you will find that people on VN will go for these 3 uni's.

At the end of the day Monash and Melbourne (not too sure about RMIT) try and compete on global scale, whereas VU is trying to compete against UoM and Monash.
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

kurrymuncher

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 06:59:43 pm »
1. VU passes everyone
2. the courses are of ridiculously poor quality (eg. my family friend from VU has a mid sem test that he can do at home)
3. it's fail
5. lol vu
6. it's vu
7. Their open book exams are stupid because students use the book samples to get HD -_-
11. 80% of their graduates find full time employment... at maccas or nandos if they're lucky.

Thats a pretty pathetic response Apple. I didnt know you could go that low, even if it is about Vic Uni.

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 07:41:37 pm »
1. VU passes everyone
3. it's fail
5. lol vu
6. it's vu

Thats a pretty pathetic response Apple. I didnt know you could go that low, even if it is about Vic Uni.

Reality, it hits hard.

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 07:50:30 pm »
Most people on VN get in the high 80's - high 90's

I dunno...Could just be that only those in the 90s make their score known publicly.

mypurpleundercracka

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 08:01:16 pm »
1. VU passes everyone
3. it's fail
5. lol vu
6. it's vu

not my sister, twas a sister of a mate of mine

d0minicz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 08:07:52 pm »
Oh you can learn a lot from a 16 year old ;) p.s. i did get moved up a year level and did get 49 in legal and did make it to states in DAV debating; just saying... and oh is school captain.

lol smart ass :D
Doctor of Medicine (UoM)