Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 09:37:13 pm

Author Topic: English Extension 1 Romanticism ESSAY HELP!  (Read 1640 times)  Share 

HomozygousRomantic

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
English Extension 1 Romanticism ESSAY HELP!
« on: May 29, 2018, 01:53:26 pm »
Hello all I need help with writing my romanticism essay and I am struggling to write my essay paragraphs for each text, I know so much but writing without a set structure is really hard and I dont even know how to write my body paragraphs for each text!!! Is there someone who can help me with giving a structure to write the essay and a structure to write each body paragraph!

Sincerely
homozygousromantic :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: English Extension 1 Romanticism ESSAY HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 03:30:56 pm »
+1
Hello all I need help with writing my romanticism essay and I am struggling to write my essay paragraphs for each text, I know so much but writing without a set structure is really hard and I dont even know how to write my body paragraphs for each text!!! Is there someone who can help me with giving a structure to write the essay and a structure to write each body paragraph!

Sincerely
homozygousromantic :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Hey! Not much I can help with you without knowing your texts and main ideas!

Structure wise - do what is comfortable!

Don't challenge yourself too much with an integrated style if not ready as it will come out a bit hard to understand otherwise.

Personally my structure was:

PARA 1: Text 1
PARA 2: Text 2
PARA 3: Text 3
PARA 4: Text 4

Within paragraphs 2, 3 and 4 I would make links to the other texts, which sort of integrated it.

Examples:

Similarly to Coleridge in Lime Tree Bower, Mary Shelley in her novel Frankenstein also represents an individual protesting against the logic of the Enlightenment period. However, unlike Coleridge who celebrates this quality, Shelley manipulates this idea to present the potential dangers of rebellion against reason, if the Romantic individual is given too much freedom.

I will break down one of my paragraphs to show you how to set it out too! :)

Example:

William Blake’s ‘The Chimney Sweeper’ is heavily influenced by rebellion as at the heart of Blake’s poem is a protest against the exploitation of the individual within Industrial England. Blake’s poem appeared in Songs of Innocence in 1789, the year which marked the outburst of the French Revolution, revealing his revolutionary attitude towards the treatment of chimney sweepers, with the 1788 Chimney Sweepers Act yet to bring any great change to their conditions. Blake’s work intellectually challenged the responder as it mirrors the ways of thinking put forward by philosopher Jean Jacques Rousseau in Emile (1762). Rousseau argues that innocence is a child’s essential quality, which is menaced by social institutions such as family and the state. The exploitation of the children is established by Blake through the line “in soot I sleep” which displays the bleak hope of escape from the inhumane conditions of child labour. The tale of “little Tom Dacre” is introduced by Blake to give a sense of identity to the child sweeper, thus also emphasising to the responder his individuality, a key aspect of the Romantic way of thinking. Yet, this is abruptly destroyed when Tom’s hair, “curled like a lamb’s back” is “shaved” so “soot cannot spoil your white hair.” The juxtaposition between soot and lamb contrasts the angelic nature of childhood with the darkness of the soot, and thereby, alluding to the malevolence of those who exploit him, namely adults. Central to the poem is the dual contrast between the grim realities of the sweeps’ lives and the ecstatic vision of liberty contained in the dream of Tom Dacre. The power of the condition of innocence is powerfully symbolised by Blake through Tom’s dream where they are “set free” from their “coffins of black” by an “angel”, the epitome of purity and innocence, to run over “a green plain.” To this extent, Blake’s poem reveals the protest of English Romantic intellectuals against the perversion of individual spirit as a result of the modern industrial world.

Here is my breakdown of it (in the spoiler):

Spoiler
William Blake’s ‘The Chimney Sweeper’ is heavily influenced by rebellion as at the heart of Blake’s poem is a protest against the exploitation of the individual within Industrial England. Opening sentence answers the question which is how Romanticism demonstrated rebellion against conformity and gave the central idea of his piece, being the protest against exploitation of the individual spirit in his context, Industrial England. Blake’s poem appeared in Songs of Innocence in 1789, the year which marked the outburst of the French Revolution, revealing his revolutionary attitude towards the treatment of chimney sweepers, with the 1788 Chimney Sweepers Act yet to bring any great change to their conditions. Contextual link - but make sure it is relevant. I included this as it was the year of the French Revolution and therefore was relevant as the French Revolution was all about rebelling against conformity, thereby linking again to the question Blake’s work intellectually challenged the responder as it mirrors the ways of thinking put forward by philosopher Jean Jacques Rousseau in Emile (1762). Try blend philosophy into your piece as this is Texts and WAYS OF THINKING. Philosophy = ways of thinking = ideas that influenced the writers. Rousseau argues that innocence is a child’s essential quality, which is menaced by social institutions such as family and the state. The exploitation of the children is established by Blake through the line “in soot I sleep” which displays the bleak hope of escape from the inhumane conditions of child labour. See how I explained Rousseau's philosophy and then directly linked it to Blake's poem and a specific line within it. Try do that!The tale of “little Tom Dacre” is introduced by Blake to give a sense of identity to the child sweeper, thus also emphasising to the responder his individuality, a key aspect of the Romantic way of thinking. Blended in a paradigm of Romanticism (individual) Yet, this is abruptly destroyed when Tom’s hair, “curled like a lamb’s back” is “shaved” so “soot cannot spoil your white hair.” The juxtaposition between soot and lamb contrasts the angelic nature of childhood with the darkness of the soot, and thereby, alluding to the malevolence of those who exploit him, namely adults. Central to the poem is the dual contrast between the grim realities of the sweeps’ lives and the ecstatic vision of liberty contained in the dream of Tom Dacre. The power of the condition of innocence Link back to Rousseau's Way of Thinking, it wasn't simply put there itself but is instead applied consistently throughout the paragraph is powerfully symbolised by Blake through Tom’s dream where they are “set free” from their “coffins of black” by an “angel”, the epitome of purity and innocence, to run over “a green plain.” To this extent, Blake’s poem reveals the protest of English Romantic intellectuals against the perversion of individual spirit as a result of the modern industrial world.Link back to question and context of time

So essentially, based off that, in each paragraph aim for:

1. Link to question.
2. Link to context.
3. Link to philosophy/way of thinking.
4. Compare or contrast in one sentence to previous texts you have dealt with in the essay.
5. Analyse the poem making links to how it reflects context/philosophies so it all comes together into one coherent paragraph!

Hopefully that example helps you! If you need more specific help with your texts let me know :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

HomozygousRomantic

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Extension 1 Romanticism ESSAY HELP!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 04:07:52 pm »
Hey! Not much I can help with you without knowing your texts and main ideas!

Structure wise - do what is comfortable!

Don't challenge yourself too much with an integrated style if not ready as it will come out a bit hard to understand otherwise.

Personally my structure was:

PARA 1: Text 1
PARA 2: Text 2
PARA 3: Text 3
PARA 4: Text 4

Within paragraphs 2, 3 and 4 I would make links to the other texts, which sort of integrated it.

Examples:

Similarly to Coleridge in Lime Tree Bower, Mary Shelley in her novel Frankenstein also represents an individual protesting against the logic of the Enlightenment period. However, unlike Coleridge who celebrates this quality, Shelley manipulates this idea to present the potential dangers of rebellion against reason, if the Romantic individual is given too much freedom.

I will break down one of my paragraphs to show you how to set it out too! :)

Example:

William Blake’s ‘The Chimney Sweeper’ is heavily influenced by rebellion as at the heart of Blake’s poem is a protest against the exploitation of the individual within Industrial England. Blake’s poem appeared in Songs of Innocence in 1789, the year which marked the outburst of the French Revolution, revealing his revolutionary attitude towards the treatment of chimney sweepers, with the 1788 Chimney Sweepers Act yet to bring any great change to their conditions. Blake’s work intellectually challenged the responder as it mirrors the ways of thinking put forward by philosopher Jean Jacques Rousseau in Emile (1762). Rousseau argues that innocence is a child’s essential quality, which is menaced by social institutions such as family and the state. The exploitation of the children is established by Blake through the line “in soot I sleep” which displays the bleak hope of escape from the inhumane conditions of child labour. The tale of “little Tom Dacre” is introduced by Blake to give a sense of identity to the child sweeper, thus also emphasising to the responder his individuality, a key aspect of the Romantic way of thinking. Yet, this is abruptly destroyed when Tom’s hair, “curled like a lamb’s back” is “shaved” so “soot cannot spoil your white hair.” The juxtaposition between soot and lamb contrasts the angelic nature of childhood with the darkness of the soot, and thereby, alluding to the malevolence of those who exploit him, namely adults. Central to the poem is the dual contrast between the grim realities of the sweeps’ lives and the ecstatic vision of liberty contained in the dream of Tom Dacre. The power of the condition of innocence is powerfully symbolised by Blake through Tom’s dream where they are “set free” from their “coffins of black” by an “angel”, the epitome of purity and innocence, to run over “a green plain.” To this extent, Blake’s poem reveals the protest of English Romantic intellectuals against the perversion of individual spirit as a result of the modern industrial world.

Here is my breakdown of it (in the spoiler):

Spoiler
William Blake’s ‘The Chimney Sweeper’ is heavily influenced by rebellion as at the heart of Blake’s poem is a protest against the exploitation of the individual within Industrial England. Opening sentence answers the question which is how Romanticism demonstrated rebellion against conformity and gave the central idea of his piece, being the protest against exploitation of the individual spirit in his context, Industrial England. Blake’s poem appeared in Songs of Innocence in 1789, the year which marked the outburst of the French Revolution, revealing his revolutionary attitude towards the treatment of chimney sweepers, with the 1788 Chimney Sweepers Act yet to bring any great change to their conditions. Contextual link - but make sure it is relevant. I included this as it was the year of the French Revolution and therefore was relevant as the French Revolution was all about rebelling against conformity, thereby linking again to the question Blake’s work intellectually challenged the responder as it mirrors the ways of thinking put forward by philosopher Jean Jacques Rousseau in Emile (1762). Try blend philosophy into your piece as this is Texts and WAYS OF THINKING. Philosophy = ways of thinking = ideas that influenced the writers. Rousseau argues that innocence is a child’s essential quality, which is menaced by social institutions such as family and the state. The exploitation of the children is established by Blake through the line “in soot I sleep” which displays the bleak hope of escape from the inhumane conditions of child labour. See how I explained Rousseau's philosophy and then directly linked it to Blake's poem and a specific line within it. Try do that!The tale of “little Tom Dacre” is introduced by Blake to give a sense of identity to the child sweeper, thus also emphasising to the responder his individuality, a key aspect of the Romantic way of thinking. Blended in a paradigm of Romanticism (individual) Yet, this is abruptly destroyed when Tom’s hair, “curled like a lamb’s back” is “shaved” so “soot cannot spoil your white hair.” The juxtaposition between soot and lamb contrasts the angelic nature of childhood with the darkness of the soot, and thereby, alluding to the malevolence of those who exploit him, namely adults. Central to the poem is the dual contrast between the grim realities of the sweeps’ lives and the ecstatic vision of liberty contained in the dream of Tom Dacre. The power of the condition of innocence Link back to Rousseau's Way of Thinking, it wasn't simply put there itself but is instead applied consistently throughout the paragraph is powerfully symbolised by Blake through Tom’s dream where they are “set free” from their “coffins of black” by an “angel”, the epitome of purity and innocence, to run over “a green plain.” To this extent, Blake’s poem reveals the protest of English Romantic intellectuals against the perversion of individual spirit as a result of the modern industrial world.Link back to question and context of time

So essentially, based off that, in each paragraph aim for:

1. Link to question.
2. Link to context.
3. Link to philosophy/way of thinking.
4. Compare or contrast in one sentence to previous texts you have dealt with in the essay.
5. Analyse the poem making links to how it reflects context/philosophies so it all comes together into one coherent paragraph!

Hopefully that example helps you! If you need more specific help with your texts let me know :)

HI THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT IT REALLY REALLY HELPED SO MUCH!