Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:54:20 pm

Author Topic: Which form should I classify my work as?  (Read 3774 times)  Share 

zooshki

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Which form should I classify my work as?
« on: January 21, 2019, 09:03:20 pm »
Hi,

For a piece that mixes poetry and non-poetic writing (like a story that is majorly a poem, but still has parts that aren't a poem), which form should I classify it as? Short story or poetry?

And which word count do I use? 3500 for poetry or 6000 for a short story?

Thanks!

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
Re: Which form should I classify my work as?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 09:05:29 pm »
Hi,

For a piece that mixes poetry and non-poetic writing (like a story that is majorly a poem, but still has parts that aren't a poem), which form should I classify it as? Short story or poetry?

And which word count do I use? 3500 for poetry or 6000 for a short story?

Thanks!

Hi zooshki!

I believe mixing forms makes your work multimodal - the requirements for that should be on the NESA website.
I'd definitely check with your teacher to make sure :)

Hope this helped!
meerae
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 09:18:25 pm »
+1
Hey, zooshki!

As suggested by meerae, check with your teacher to see what they recommend you classify it under. I would recommend classifying it under the most form in which your Major Work has the most defining features of. For example, if you have poetry that has elements of prose, it would be classified as prose poetry and, thus, placed under Poetry for Extension 2 English. However, if your Major Work is largely prose with elements of poetry and poems interspersed throughout the piece, then I would place it under Short Story. You would consequently use the word count for whichever form you end up choosing. Consult with your teacher to see what they think  :) Hybrid pieces are always really fascinating to see in the HSC  ;D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

zooshki

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 09:30:18 pm »
+2
@meerae and @angewina_nauguen (I'm sorry if these don't notify you both) but thanks for your speedy suggestions! I'll check with my teacher, but for now would probably classify my work as a short story. Thanks for your help!