Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:13:01 pm

Author Topic: PROCRASTINATION  (Read 2254 times)

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
PROCRASTINATION
« on: August 25, 2018, 12:12:32 am »
+5
HEY, I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS THE RIGHT PLACE BUT I NEED URGENT HELP!!!!

PROCRASTINATION

WE ALL DO IT AND WE'RE GUILTY OF IT

BUT HOW DO WE STOP???

I PROCRASTINATE SO HARD THEN I FEEL GUILTY SO I GO TO BED AND I CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP BECAUSE IM IN PAIN AND I FEEL HOPLESS FHAF I WASTED A DAY. I EVENTUALLY FALL ASLEEP AFTER TURNING AND TWISTING IN BED. THEN I  WAKE UP AND DO THE SAME THING AGAIN. AND MY TRIALS HAVENT EVEN STARTED. WHAT DO I DO???? PAPER 1 IS ON MONDAY AND I HAVE NOT PREPARED. ITS LIKE I HAVE ALREADY DECIDED MY FATE. I KNOW IM GOING TO FAIL ANYWAYS SO WHY SHOULD I EVEN BOTHER.

PLEASE ANY HELP/ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!!!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 12:59:14 am by 3.14159265359 »

• Trendsetter
Re: PROCRASTINATION
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 12:19:36 am »
+1
ALSO

I AM LACKING THE MOTIVATION TO DO ANYTHINGGGGGGGGG!!! IM JUST SO NOT BOTHERED ANYMORE. I KNOW THAT I SHOULD BE WORKING MY HEAD OFF BUT IM NOT AND IM SO SCARED AND STRESSED OUT THAT I DONT KNOW WHERE TO START OR HOW TO START! I WAKE UP AND MAKE A LIST OF IM GOING TO DO REVISE THIS MODULE FOR BIO OR CHEM OR DO A PAPER FOR MATH BUT THEN I SIT AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE. I JUST STARE AT MY BOOKS THEN SPEND HOURS ON YOUTUBE. I EVEN GAVE MY PHONE TO MY MUM TO AVOID DISTRACTIONS BUT THEN I GO ON MY LAPTOP INSTEAD. SO WHATS THE POINT OF NOT USING MY PHONE IF I GOING ON MY LAPTOP!!! AND I KNOW WHAT IM DOING IS WRONG BUT I JUST CANT HELP IT OR STOP MYSELF.

LAST YEAR I WAS DOING ACCELERATION AND I WAS ALWAYS STUDYING AND I ALWAYS DID EXTRA OF WHAT WAS REQUIRED OF ME. I WAS ALWAYS ON TOP OF MY GAME AND THERE WAS NOT ONE MOMENT THAT I WAS NOT STUDYING. I WAS ALWYAS DOING PAPER AFTER PAPER. AND IT ALL PAID OFF BECAUSE I DID NOT JUST GET A BAND 6, I OVERACHEIVED THAT BAND6. BUT NOW, I DONT CARE ANYMORE AND I HAVE GIVEN UP AND IM LETTING IT ALL SLIP AWAY. AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO REGAIN MY FOCUS. MY MINDS BEEN SO OCCUPIED LATELY BECAUSE I LOST 2 GOOD FRIENDS OVER A STUPID THING, AND MY DEPRESSION IS PLAYING UP WITH VARYING MOOD SWINGS  LEADING ME TO SUICIDAL THOUGHTS. AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE.  IM LETTING MY PARENTS DOWN. IM LETTING MY FAMILY DOWN. IN LETTING MYSELF DOWN. IM LETTING EVERYONE DOWN. I HATE HOW IM FEELING BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. AND WORSE THING IS, I HAVE NO ONE TO TALK TO. THE ONE FRIEND THAT I USED TO RANT TO IS NO LONGER PRESENT IN MY LIFE AND I DON'T TRUST ANYONE ELSE TO RANT. IM ALL ALONE NOW AND IM JUST HOPELESS IN EVERYTHING I DO.

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME! :(
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 12:55:15 am by 3.14159265359 »

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 12:40:52 am »
+3
Lol. I think it's scientifically proven that the majority of people just procrastinate until they think the task is impossible, and then just declare the task "Not possible".

But although time is not on your side, time can make even the unbearable bearable (To use a phrase that smacks of the Irishman).
So basically, although it is not healthy for you, it is possible to have just a two hour nap and work through the night... :)
Experienced procrastinator talking here... ;D

So what I am saying is. Go get your laptop. Install ad blocker ultimate (cause ad's suck). get a bloody long YouTube music playlist going.
And then just sit the fuck down and work your arse off. Trust me. Get enough pressure, that pressure turns into motivation. A bourbon might help this transformation

So, out of curiosity, what is your first paper?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 01:15:05 am by S200 »
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 01:03:33 am »
Lol. I think it's scientifically proven that the majority of people just procrastinate until they think the task is impossible, and then just declare the task "Not possible".

But although time is not on your side, time can make even the unbearable bearable (To use a phrase that smacks of the Irishman).
So basically, although it is not healthy for you, it is possible to have just a two hour nap and work through the night... :)
Experienced procrastinator talking here... ;D

So what I am saying is. Go get your laptop. Install ad blocker ultimate (cause ad's suck). get a bloody long playlist going.
And then just sit the fuck down and work your arse off. Trust me. Get enough pressure, that pressure turns into motivation. A bourbon might help this transformation

So, out of curiosity, what is your first paper?

That added pressure causes me to break down and then I won't get anything done.

First exam is Monday English paper 1.
Tuesday English paper 2
Thursday Chem
Friday bio
Monday and Tuesday is math

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 01:13:26 am »
+1
Hmmm. I really suck at english, but if you need any help for anything, my inbox is open, so do PM if you need any advice..
(word of warning... I am a pretty much expert procrastinator.. :()
Carpe Vinum

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 01:26:03 am »
Hmmm. I really suck at english, but if you need any help for anything, my inbox is open, so do PM if you need any advice..
(word of warning... I am a pretty much expert procrastinator.. :()

Thank you so much!! DW I suck at English too. Pretty much HATE the subject. Thanks for your help. Ranting it out cleared my head. Thanks again xx

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 01:30:51 am »
+1

Thank you so much!! DW I suck at English too. Pretty much HATE the subject. Thanks for your help. Ranting it out cleared my head. Thanks again xx
Anytime. Ranting is the number one way of cleaning up an issue... :D

May I politely suggest that if you aren't in a focussy mood rn, you get a good night's rest (for what is left of the night).
For a bit of piece of mind, you still have ~200000 seconds until 9 am Monday... :D
Carpe Vinum

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 04:07:26 pm »
+9
In regards to using your laptop to procrastinate you might find an extension such as StayFocusd useful, to restrict your access to specific sites for particular times/durations.

For the lists that you are making, I would recommend breaking them down further. Eg. instead of "revise bio module" and "revise chem module" you could have
   Revise bio module
          Complete 10 multiple choice questions
          Spend 5 minutes on flashcards
          Draw out labelled diagram for (process)
   Revise chem module
          Complete 5 short answer questions
          Make post on atarnotes summarising (concept in module)
          Watch video on (concept)

(not necessarily suggesting doing those things, but breaking tasks down into smaller chunks can help)

I'd also suggest you try and do some exercise, as this can help a lot with stress and being able to sleep later on.

If you find that you're feeling like this for a few weeks I would also highly encourage you to see a professional about it if you aren't already. From my experience, I found talking to a counsellor in year 12 to be very helpful.

If you want to rant, there are people here who will listen and do their best to help (me included) so try not to feel like that isn't an option. I'm glad you found ranting helpful this time :)

I have a tendency to catastrophise - I convinced myself during my first SAC that I would get a terrible ATAR, not get into any good courses etc. , and this is something it's very easy to do in year 12, especially if you have other things going on that make it more difficult to take care of your mental wellbeing. I want to remind you that these exams are NOT the sole contributor to your ATAR, and your ATAR does NOT determine your future. In my experience of uni, nobody cares whether you got into your course from transferring from a easier-admission course, your ATAR, a pathway, or anything else. Even if you don't follow the most ideal path to your future career, you can and will get there.

Even though it doesn't seem like it, this year is just a year. It doesn't define you or your academics. You and your circumstances will both change, and things will get better - eventually the trying pays off.

• Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 05:47:54 pm »
+1
In regards to using your laptop to procrastinate you might find an extension such as StayFocusd useful, to restrict your access to specific sites for particular times/durations.

For the lists that you are making, I would recommend breaking them down further. Eg. instead of "revise bio module" and "revise chem module" you could have
   Revise bio module
          Complete 10 multiple choice questions
          Spend 5 minutes on flashcards
          Draw out labelled diagram for (process)
   Revise chem module
          Complete 5 short answer questions
          Make post on atarnotes summarising (concept in module)
          Watch video on (concept)

(not necessarily suggesting doing those things, but breaking tasks down into smaller chunks can help)

I'd also suggest you try and do some exercise, as this can help a lot with stress and being able to sleep later on.

If you find that you're feeling like this for a few weeks I would also highly encourage you to see a professional about it if you aren't already. From my experience, I found talking to a counsellor in year 12 to be very helpful.

If you want to rant, there are people here who will listen and do their best to help (me included) so try not to feel like that isn't an option. I'm glad you found ranting helpful this time :)

I have a tendency to catastrophise - I convinced myself during my first SAC that I would get a terrible ATAR, not get into any good courses etc. , and this is something it's very easy to do in year 12, especially if you have other things going on that make it more difficult to take care of your mental wellbeing. I want to remind you that these exams are NOT the sole contributor to your ATAR, and your ATAR does NOT determine your future. In my experience of uni, nobody cares whether you got into your course from transferring from a easier-admission course, your ATAR, a pathway, or anything else. Even if you don't follow the most ideal path to your future career, you can and will get there.

Even though it doesn't seem like it, this year is just a year. It doesn't define you or your academics. You and your circumstances will both change, and things will get better - eventually the trying pays off.

honestly that made me smile and cheered me up. I will take your advice on board. thank you so much. sometimes I forget that year 12 isn't the be all end all. and it was a nice reminder that year 12 isn't the end of the world.
thank you again xxx