Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:14:13 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 347830 times)  Share 

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #1350 on: November 16, 2020, 10:23:26 am »
Hey,

My teacher tells me to hand-write my notes, but I am more interested in learning the content and gathering large, neat, comprehensive digital notes of which I can quickly read over and reference to when I need it.

I was wondering what other students do? Or what other high achievers in Modern History did for their notes?

Perhaps I ought to do a combination of both...I'm not sure......
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 05:26:45 am by 0447940204 »
"Nobody minds having what is too good for them." Jane Austen.

jaidaswift

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1351 on: September 16, 2021, 11:29:08 am »
Hi, year 11 going to year 12 here. I was wondering what equipment you recommend for modern history and what is useful when studying? My school hasn't provided an equipment list and I wanted advice from people who have done the course.

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #1352 on: September 16, 2021, 09:33:58 pm »
Hi, year 11 going to year 12 here. I was wondering what equipment you recommend for modern history and what is useful when studying? My school hasn't provided an equipment list and I wanted advice from people who have done the course.

Hey jaidaswift,

I'd say equipment doesn't really matter, and you should already have a pretty good idea of what your setup is from your prelims. At least in my school, we were given textbooks and printouts as required, and I opted to use a binder and loose leaf with pens and highlights since that worked really well for me in prelims (although I ended up switching to fully digital later in the year for ease of use and online learning). If you really do want a definitive equipment list though, I recommend you reach out to your teacher and see what they recommend, as they'll be able to give you some advice on how they plan to teach and if they expect you to take notes/do essay plans and whatnot (although you should also have a fair idea of this from prelims!)

Year 12 really isn't that different from year 11, so much of what you already know can be applied here. Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 09:36:37 pm by Justin_L »
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

tessach004

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1353 on: November 01, 2021, 06:20:16 pm »
Would anyone please be able to check this essay scaffold and suggest what I could do a third paragraph on?

– Japanese foreign policy 1937–1941 (ACHMH144)

To what extent was Japanese foreign policy from 1937 to 1941 responsible for the increasing tensions that eventually led to war?

Thesis: To a large extent, Japanese foreign policy was responsible for the increasing tensions that led to war, as it was their nationalism that imperialistic actions that led to US and British embargoes, causing Japan to require natural resources on top of their initial nationalistic desire to eliminate US opposition and prove themselves equal to the West. 

Para 1: Japanese nationalism 

-Asia for Asians
-Versailles didn’t acknowledge Japan as they wished – Japan wanted racial equality in the Treaty but was declined by the Allies - angered by this, Japan wanted to restore pride and prove that they were equal to the West
-Wanted to build the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere
-Japanese foreign policy served the best interests of Japan without consideration for other nations - led them to invade China and Indochina - this caused tensions to increase

Para 2: Japanese imperialism and US/British policies

-Japan’s invasions of China and Indochina created tensions because China and Indochina were Allied ally's – thus the Allies wanted to protect/help them, [causing tensions to rise due to the fighting]
-Japan invaded China (1937)
-Japan invaded northern Indochina (September 1940) - caused US to place an embargo on all steel and iron
-Japan invaded southern Indochina (July 1941) - caused US and Britain to issue an oil embargo and freeze all Japanese assets 
-Japan relied on the US for 80% of its oil, - thus the embargo meant Japan was lacking in oil and needed to either withdraw from China and Indochina or attack other nations to gain resources e.g., Dutch East Indies, which was rich in oil
-Demonstrates how although the US and British policies spurred on Japan to invade other countries to gain resources, if Japan hadn’t imperalised into China and Indochina, the policies wouldn't have been issued and thus tensions wouldn’t have risen as much

Para 3: ?

Sorry It's not very good - appreciate any feedback!