Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 04:07:01 am

Author Topic: Comparative - I am Malala/Made in Dagenham  (Read 3450 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Comparative - I am Malala/Made in Dagenham
« on: October 22, 2018, 12:09:29 pm »
Prompt: Analyse whether social attitudes and expectations confine or define women in Made in Dagenham and I am Malala.

This is way too short so I particularly want feedback on where I should write more (everywhere?) But also please point out everything I did wrong (you're not going to offend me or anything, I promise). Thank you

Spoiler
I am Malala written by Malala Yousafzai and Made in Dagenham directed by Nigel Cole explore society’s role in confining and defining women. They both demonstrate that although social attitudes and expectations can be hard to break free of, it is possible for women to avoid being restricted by society. However, whilst Cole shows that women can overpower societal attitudes, Yousafzai demonstrates that a societal change is needed.

Women are not trapped by the constraints society places on them. In Made in Dagenham Cole conveys the doubt placed on the ability of the female machinists is partially due to ‘women hav[ing] never been on strike before.’ This lack of prior action incorrectly sets the expectations of the result of the machinists’ strike. Cole infers that these expectations can be overcome through fighting back by demonstrating that the machinists fight is successful. However, although Yousafzai also condemns a sexist society through explaining the attitude held by the majority that ‘girls should not be going to school,’ she instead describes how these confines can be escaped through manipulation. This is inferred through the portrayal of Malala having escaped restrictions by ‘pretending to be younger than’ she is in order for her to continue going to school under Taliban rule. Through these varied methods, both Cole and Yousafzai demonstrate that society cannot confine women.

Although society tries to define women, women cannot be defined by society. The societies that both Malala and Rita live in see women as fulfilling a domestic role. Cole condemns how men in society believe that women’s jobs have no value and that the wage they are earning is ‘just pocket money.’ This attitude reflects the lack of value placed in women. This is similarly condemned in I am Malala when Yousafzai describes how society sees ‘prepar[ing] food and giving birth’ as women’s ‘role in life.’ This conflicts with Malala’s hopes to become an ‘inventor…or politician,’ which infers society’s inability to define women. This inability is reflected in Made in Dagenham through Lisa and Rita’s victory when ‘Mr. Clarke [is] asked to leave’ after he had dismissed them as just ‘hysterical women.’ Through these individual characters triumphs, Cole and Yousafzai declare that society’s expectations do not define women.

Societal expectations can be hard to overcome. In Made in Dagenham Cole demonstrates that social attitudes through the media, who call Rita a ‘Revlon Revolutionary,’ conveying the inherent sexism in society. Similarly, I am Malala demonstrates that sexism is faced by women. Yousafzai uses Toor Pekai to convey society’s refusal to consider women valuable. Despite Malala considering her mother to be a strong parent, men in her society so not ‘think power is in the hands of women’ and instead consider men’s roles such as ‘earning money and ordering around others’ as powerful. Yousafzai expresses discontent with this sexism, similarly to Cole, however Cole also immediately condemns this though the use of camera angles that display Rita and the other female machinists occupying the majority of the frame indicating their power over the minority of sexist media. Both Yousafzai and Cole oppose the sexist attitudes demonstrated by society.

Yousafzai and Cole both condemn societal attitudes and expectations. They convey that women cannot be restrained or limited by society despite the sexist attitudes they face.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

happydays2

• South Australian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Norwood high
Re: Comparative - I am Malala/Made in Dagenham
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 07:52:23 am »
+1
I know this is almost a year late, but if anyone who is reading this and doing the same comparative - you show a good grasp understanding of the topic, but you need better evidence that will allow you to go deeper into the topic. You really need to mention the father, Falzulullah and the Taliban. You also could go into the role of males - Monty especially and the idea of collusion between males in power.