Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:12:25 am

Author Topic: Chemistry 1 vs Fundamentals of Chemistry  (Read 1942 times)  Share 

mostmagicalmuggle

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Chemistry 1 vs Fundamentals of Chemistry
« on: March 01, 2018, 09:26:07 am »
Hi fellow unimelb students  :)

I'm a first year doing Bsc, and I need to do chem as a prerequisite for next year. I'm currently enrolled in chemistry fundamentals, and although I did do VCE chemistry, just thought I'd pick the easier chem because I didn't do so well last year and have always struggled with it.

I was wondering whether it would be easier to pass the chemistry 1 exam (50%) or to get 80% on the chem fundamentals exam, which is what is required to progress straight into chem 2 in semester 2. I really don't want to have to do chem 2 in the summer term    :-\

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

pippulup

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Chemistry 1 vs Fundamentals of Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 05:31:24 pm »
I did some chemistry study back in high school in year 10 but dropped out in the middle because my chem teacher sucked. So I had to start with fundamentals, and it was insanely easy. I scored 95 without effort or extra study (I did go to lectures, tutorials etc) and was offered to take chemistry 2 but unfortunately needed that extra credit from chemistry 1 after withdrawing from my other (physics) class.

Chemistry 1 wasn't too bad, a bit of new concepts / formula but most of the things I learnt in high school were repeated in that course. So if you did a VCE chemistry, I'm pretty sure you'll find it just fine. Doing chemistry 2 in the summer sucks a lot, so if you have the prerequisite, I'll say doing chem 1 will be a better option as it's not too hard compared to fundamentals.