Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:40:14 am

Author Topic: PSMT - Bivariate Data  (Read 3696 times)

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
PSMT - Bivariate Data
« on: February 21, 2020, 11:44:20 am »
+1
Hi,
I would just like some feedback regarding my General Mathematics assignment on bivariate data. Any tips at all would be appreciated thanks :)
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: PSMT - Bivariate Data
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 11:29:26 am »
+2
Hey,

I think that your assessment has good potential but your communication is letting down your ideas, research and understanding so this is what I will mostly focus on in my feedback. Although I am focusing on things to improve please also note that there are things you have done well, such as including formulas and references.

You could see a lot of improvement from addressing your use of language. Even though this isn't an English assessment, you do need to "communicate using mathematical, statistical and everyday language and conventions " fluently and at the moment there's a fair bit of room for improvement here. In particular, you need to be careful with how you use mathematical terminology like "statistics" to ensure you are using terminology correctly and making appropriate word choices.

Sometimes it comes across like you are trying to make your writing sound sophisticated through use of complex sentences and unfamiliar words but this is reducing your clarity and ability to communicate clearly and accurately. There are also a few typos / missing words / added words so you'll want to go back through and correct these. For example this issue occurs in "According to The Conversation article written by McGuigan and Salo, that although the world records have improved, it  does not necessarily imply that the development of the record is ‘speeding up’  rather, the human limits in a short-term perspective must be observed and considered in this investigation" and  "However, with the two outliers found at (1931, 12) and (1973, 10.8 ) may counteract these findings with the possibility of a moderate, negative correlation". This example sentence also shows another area for improvement - making sure that you build a logical argument that clearly supports your conclusions. Your conclusions and thinking makes sense but you could improve your explanations of why you have drawn them. Please also make sure you maintain consistency (e.g. in how you report your R^2 value).

You may also want to check your use of subheadings (e.g. "data collection" in "The Plan" section also includes data processing) and consistency with tense (i.e. past, present, future).

I also highly recommend you read or reread the sample assessment information for the PSMT. In particular, I advise you to mostly focus on the high scoring sample response and the comments attached to it.

Best of luck and please let me know if you have any follow up questions! :)

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 07:11:51 am »
+1
Hi Bri,

Thank you so much for your feedback -- I really appreciate it. However, my assignment is due soon (in eight days) and I was just wondering if you could provide some specific examples of how my communication is "letting down on my understanding" so I can further refine my assignment based on the feedback.

Thank you :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 10:57:01 am »
+1
Hey,

Happy to help :)

Do you understand what I was referring to with my examples here?

In particular, you need to be careful with how you use mathematical terminology like "statistics" to ensure you are using terminology correctly and making appropriate word choices.

Sometimes it comes across like you are trying to make your writing sound sophisticated through use of complex sentences and unfamiliar words but this is reducing your clarity and ability to communicate clearly and accurately. There are also a few typos / missing words / added words so you'll want to go back through and correct these. For example this issue occurs in "According to The Conversation article written by McGuigan and Salo, that although the world records have improved, it  does not necessarily imply that the development of the record is ‘speeding up’  rather, the human limits in a short-term perspective must be observed and considered in this investigation" and  "However, with the two outliers found at (1931, 12) and (1973, 10.8 ) may counteract these findings with the possibility of a moderate, negative correlation". This example sentence also shows another area for improvement - making sure that you build a logical argument that clearly supports your conclusions. Your conclusions and thinking makes sense but you could improve your explanations of why you have drawn them. Please also make sure you maintain consistency (e.g. in how you report your R^2 value).

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 03:59:12 pm »
Sorry not really :(

Can you elaborate further please?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 08:10:45 pm »
+2
Sorry not really :(

Can you elaborate further please?

Nothing to apologise for :)
I just wanted to know where you were at so I could tailor my response to that.  On mobile atm but I'll edit in a more detailed explanation and pm you when that's ready :)

I've gone with annotating the document for providing feedback as I hope this will be more clear to you - if there is anything you still don't understand please feel free to ask :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:21:55 am by Bri MT »

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 09:53:53 am »
+2
Thank you so much :)

Your feedback has helped me so much to improve my assignment :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 08:27:49 am »
Thank you so much :)

Your feedback has helped me so much to improve my assignment :)

You're absolutely welcome :)

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 11:38:37 am »
Hi Bri,

I was also just wondering if you could help me mark my assignment against the criteria of task to give me an indication of my result? I have attached the criteria as a reference.

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 11:41:31 am »
Here is the other page of the criteria if you would like to look at it :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 10:16:09 am »
+1
Hi Bri,

I was also just wondering if you could help me mark my assignment against the criteria of task to give me an indication of my result? I have attached the criteria as a reference.

Hey,

I'm going to present my marking feedback in the form of low-mid-high for each of the categories. Please note that this is based on my interpretation of the criteria and that other people may interpret this differently. I do not, for example, recommend that you use this for score prediction purposes - imo that's counter productive anyway even if you can get it fairly accurate. This feedback is based on the document you originally uploaded

Formulate: high
Solve: high
Evaluate and verify: mid-high
Communicate: mid-high

You can also find the criteria information you uploaded on the QCAA website. I again strongly recommend that you read through the information and sample assessments there :)