Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 08:50:29 pm

Author Topic: Should I do maths in year 11?  (Read 1473 times)

Nickmate

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Should I do maths in year 11?
« on: June 15, 2019, 12:20:59 pm »
Hello, I am currently in year 10.
I am good in maths, but actually hate it, whenever I do math classes I just find myself blanking out and day dreaming and watching the clock. It is by far my least favorite subject.
I tried methods and hated it, the subject just took too much time away from my other subjects because the amount of study I had to do.
However my parents really want me to do a math subject in year 11 such a further maths, but I think there is no point of doing further maths and choosing a math subject may impact my atar negatively.
I am more interested in picking business and humanities subjects such as economics, legal studies, business management, global politics, History and even accounting.
Is it wise to pick a maths in year 11?

Gianni Farfaglia

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Re: Should I do maths in year 11?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 12:58:00 pm »
+4
I am good in maths, but actually hate it, whenever I do math classes I just find myself blanking out and day dreaming and watching the clock. It is by far my least favorite subject.
I tried methods and hated it, the subject just took too much time away from my other subjects because the amount of study I had to do.
However my parents really want me to do a math subject in year 11 such a further maths, but I think there is no point of doing further maths and choosing a math subject may impact my atar negatively.
I am more interested in picking business and humanities subjects such as economics, legal studies, business management, global politics, History and even accounting.

Hi Nick

I think if you feel you're good at maths then picking up further won't take too much away from your other subjects, if you are capable its definitely manageable and would be a good foundation if you were looking to do study in the business area. Also I know it's really early to think about it but some university courses even in the commerce/business areas require you to do methods as a prerequisite so maybe have a look into that. However if you know what exactly what you want to do and that doesn't require it don't stress heaps.

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Re: Should I do maths in year 11?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 01:01:19 pm »
+3
Hey Nickmate! Welcome to ATAR Notes :)

In your case, I'd only suggest to keep maths if it is a prerequisite for any tertiary courses you're interested in. Keep in mind that you may change your mind - after all, Year 12 is still a little while away!

You can check out prerequisites here.

If you do find that you need maths, think about why you hate it and what you can do to work around that. Additionally, it might help to read the study design for further maths (link here) to see if any of the topics interest you more than the ones in methods.

Good luck with your decision! 8)

P.S. I was typing this while Gianni Farfaglia posted but I'll leave this here as it has links.
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash