Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 09:32:58 pm

Author Topic: Melbourne JD v. Bachelor of Laws Monash  (Read 4335 times)  Share 

MathsQuestIsBad

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
Melbourne JD v. Bachelor of Laws Monash
« on: December 06, 2017, 12:32:17 am »
Hey guys! I'm looking between these two courses for uni and I would love to get some first hand feedback about your experiences with either course and also an evaluation between the two. I also wanna get some confirmation about guaranteed admission into JD with a 99 ATAR given you study a UoM undergrad?

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: Melbourne JD v. Bachelor of Laws Monash
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 07:36:02 am »
+2
There is a really good thread about this here: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=171704.msg955301#msg955301

:)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

MathsQuestIsBad

• Forum Regular

MathsQuestIsBad

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 10:15:29 pm »
Yeah so I'm currently considering the JD at Melb Uni. The Melbourne Model is ideal for those who, like me, haven't entirely made up their mind regarding which profession they wish to pursue in the future. For instance, I've still only narrowed my post-grad options down to three (law, med and teaching)  ::)

As to which of the two degrees is more 'useful' or 'prestigious', that's up for debate. While I've heard that the Melb JD has a greater international recognition (it's recognised by India for example) than the Monash LLB, I wouldn't say there is too much of a difference between the two. Most of the big law firms want graduates from either Melbourne or Monash, so out of the two it probably doesn't matter much which one you do end up going to.

And yes, if you do end up with an ATAR of 99+, you are guaranteed a full fee place (costing ~100K) in the JD so long as you maintain an average mark of 75 throughout your undergraduate degree. However, if you wish to obtain a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) (costing ~30K), you must take the LSAT (which I incidentally just did on Sunday). In any case, for both types of place, you can take out an interest-free loan (either HECS or FEE-HELP) covering the entire cost of the degree.

Good luck with your decision!  :)

Thank you so much for the insight! I'm just wondering if guaranteed entry also takes into account SEAS, I know access Melbourne isn't a thing though. I'm honestly really set on law but I definitely prefer the atmosphere and the proximity of UoM over Monash, what a struggle! :(

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 10:53:53 pm »
+1
Thank you so much for the insight! I'm just wondering if guaranteed entry also takes into account SEAS, I know access Melbourne isn't a thing though. I'm honestly really set on law but I definitely prefer the atmosphere and the proximity of UoM over Monash, what a struggle! :(

Guaranteed entry doesn't take into account SEAS or Access Melbourne but the JD has a Graduate Access Melbourne (GAM) scheme which you can apply for if you are from under-represented group (indigenous, refugee, rural, low SES background) or experienced difficult circumstances during uni. The scheme doesn't guarantee anything but increases your chances of getting a full-fee or CSP one.

If a CSP place is important to you, Monash is probably the best option, since you are set on law. A full-fee place/bursary place is fairly achievable at Melbourne (70-75 WAM with 155-165 on the LSAT), but CSP places are fairly limited (but still achievable).

As for me personally, I was never set on law or gave it much consideration until uni. And not doing law isn't the be and end all to me, so the lack of CSP places wasn't much of a concern.
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

MathsQuestIsBad

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 11:01:27 pm »
Guaranteed entry doesn't take into account SEAS or Access Melbourne but the JD has a Graduate Access Melbourne (GAM) scheme which you can apply for if you are from under-represented group (indigenous, refugee, rural, low SES background) or experienced difficult circumstances during uni. The scheme doesn't guarantee anything but increases your chances of getting a full-fee or CSP one.

If a CSP place is important to you, Monash is probably the best option, since you are set on law. A full-fee place/bursary place is fairly achievable at Melbourne (70-75 WAM with 155-165 on the LSAT), but CSP places are fairly limited (but still achievable).

As for me personally, I was never set on law or gave it much consideration until uni. And not doing law isn't the be and end all to me, so the lack of CSP places wasn't much of a concern.

Does GAM lower the required WAM and LSAT scores to get into JD? UoM is going to make me sweat blood at this rate. Anyway, I'll think (cry) about it later.

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 11:33:48 pm »
+1
Does GAM lower the required WAM and LSAT scores to get into JD? UoM is going to make me sweat blood at this rate. Anyway, I'll think (cry) about it later.

Yes, although since the JD doesn't have strict WAM requirements for entry (apart from the 99+ ATAR, 75 WAM, no LSAT, guarantee), GAM mainly increases your chances of entry or attaining a CSP place as opposed to a full-fee one (the difference that the GAM makes may be substantial according to the UoM website). In most instances, a WAM of below 70 won't make the cut for a full-fee place, unless your LSAT scores are very high, but the scheme increases your chances if you are eligible. If you are mainly concerned about entry, not about getting a CSP place (which seems fairly achievable under the scheme), a 75 WAM which guarantees you a place if your ATAR is 99+ or a full-fee/bursary/CSP in rare circumstances with a decent LSAT is fairly achievable. The selection committee is also fairly forgiving about mediocre grades early in the undergrad degree (they appreciate improvement). Monash JD is also an option if you don't get into UoM JD.
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb