Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:04:46 pm

Author Topic: International Relations Degree  (Read 960 times)  Share 

pianodish

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
International Relations Degree
« on: December 01, 2017, 07:49:53 pm »
Hi everyone!!

Was wondering if anyone does international relations or knows anything about it and would be happy to give me brief run down of what sort of things you learn and what the tutorials are like? (in terms of tutorials, I would be interested to know what they are like for any degree).

Thanks!!

extremeftw

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +25
Re: International Relations Degree
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 11:44:39 pm »
 I would definitely recommend looking online at some universities you are interested in as you could see for yourself precisely the units and areas that different IR majors/degrees cover.  For example, here is the handbook entry for an IR major at Monash: https://monash.edu/pubs/2017handbooks/aos/international-relations/ug-arts-international-relations.html.

As for tutorials, for Arts units they will be held weekly and almost always last for one hour. You basically just discuss the weeks content as covered in the lecture + readings + upcoming assessment tasks.

Happy to answer any other questions you have if I can be of any help to you!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 11:50:33 pm by extremeftw »

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
Re: International Relations Degree
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 08:17:05 pm »
+2
hi

I've done a couple of international relations subjects this year at ANU!

in the first year courses, what we looked at this year was IR theories (realism, liberalism, constructivism etc.) as well as concepts re interests, interactions & institutions, role of international organizations (e.g.  UN, World Bank, IMF etc.) as well as issues that we faced in the past as well as currently (e.g. terrorism, civil wars, environment, economy, human rights, nuclear weapons) and their strategies used in such things like war.

tutorials pretty much go over the stuff we learnt in class, but we did do simulation activities where we play the role of certain actors and what we would do in a certain hypothetical situation etc.

if you have any more questions feel free to ask :)
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams