Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:55:47 am

Author Topic: 29 Study Score in Biology as a year 11 should I pick up a new subject?  (Read 5013 times)

chipchipchip

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Welp, that was disappointing. Not sure if 28 is trash, average or just bad. I managed to attend every class of biology this year as the only year 11 in my class, did exam revision and still managed to mess it up. I'm genuinely jealous of the people who are disappointed by their 35s and 40s. Should I just pick up another subject or try to do extremely well in my classes next year? :'( Will a 29 study score affect me that badly?

I see most people did well and got the ATAR and study scores they wanted and I'm happy for you guys.  :)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: 29 Study Score in Biology as a year 11 should I pick up a new subject?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 06:50:39 pm »
Welp, that was disappointing. Not sure if 28 is trash, average or just bad. I managed to attend every class of biology this year as the only year 11 in my class, did exam revision and still managed to mess it up. I'm genuinely jealous of the people who are disappointed by their 35s and 40s. Should I just pick up another subject or try to do extremely well in my classes next year? :'( Will a 29 study score affect me that badly?

I see most people did well and got the ATAR and study scores they wanted and I'm happy for you guys.  :)
Do you mean pick up another subject as in do 6 subjects next year instead of 5? I would say no - I don't think the benefit would be worth losing the time that could be spent on your other subjects. FTR My 35 in outdoor ed scaled to a 28.8 and I got 28 in English so one 29 definitely isn't going to completely screw you up.

Assuming it's your 5th or 6th best score, it'll only count as 10% anyway.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 06:57:35 pm »

Correction: most people who decided to post on atarnotes are happy with their results*

28 is average-ish 

If you do decide to do one more subject next year than you had planned, you could make that subject biology - that way the workload could be lower than doing an entire new subject.

(Also, I agree with phoenixxfire )

SemiAdapted

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 07:45:36 pm »
People who post here have generally some very very well, but the average ATAR this year was somewhere around 65 according to the Age, so it's mostly confirmation bias.
I got a horrible mark in Japanese in year 11, but my ATAR was still around the mark I needed, and really that's all that matters. It's an entry mark. You don't need to stress about how well you did or how many 40+ study scores you got - what matters is you got the mark you wanted. That's an average mark, and it's not a bad one.
When you say pick up an extra subject, do you mean you were intending on doing 4 subjects in year 12? I wouldn't recommend that if you're relying on an ATAR-based course regardless of how well you went in your year 11 subject, as many as possible is usually best if you can manage the workload, and 5 in year 12 is fine, worst case pick up an 'easy' subject you enjoy and you've simply got a backup.

chipchipchip

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 08:04:40 pm »
Since I completed 1/2 Biology in year 10 I was planning on only doing 4 in year 12. I'll probably pick up another subject like you suggest.