Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:17:33 am

Author Topic: Aus+Global Pol Experiences  (Read 3758 times)  Share 

da_coolest1

• Trailblazer
  • oof
  • Respect: +8
Aus+Global Pol Experiences
« on: October 13, 2019, 11:02:35 pm »
1. Do you enjoy it?
2. What do you like about it?
3. What do you dislike about it?
4. Do you do distance ed for it? If so, how much work do you get done in your allocated periods for it?
5. How much do you study at home/study period a week?
6. What are exams and sacs like?
7. Favourite topic?
8. Worst topic?
9. Tips/Tricks?
10. What are your teachers like?
11. Why are you taking aus+global pol?
12. Are you doing well/Have you done well in it?
13. Do you actually need to watch the news? Why?

I'm in Year 10 and need another subject for Year 11 and this one sounds pretty interesting. Please share. Thanks.
2020: Methods
2021: Chemistry | Biology | Indonesian SL | English | Australian/Global Politics

forever sleep deprived

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
Re: Aus+Global Pol Experiences
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 10:51:10 am »
+1
1. Do you enjoy it?
Global was my least favourite subject back when I did VCE, however now looking back on it, I do not regret picking it at all, and would happily redo the subject if you rewind the clock.

I liked the amount of short-answer questions in global as opposed to long extended response questions. As I also did literature and history (two heavily essay-based subjects) global gave me a nice break.

I didn’t like how each area of study was so separated from each other, you kind of get the feeling that you’re doing four different smaller subjects.

4. Do you do distance ed for it? If so, how much work do you get done in your allocated periods for it?
No

Global was my bludge, so I didn’t do any study for it at all throughout the year. I only started studying for global after I had finished all my other exams in November (the global exam is usually very late in the exam period).

Exam: 4 x 2 pages of short answer questions (2 pages per AOS); one extended response at the end.
SACs vary from school to school but generally you’d expect both short answer and extended response. At my school we also did a debate as a part of our final SAC, but that wasn’t common.

7. Favourite topic?
Unit 4 AOS 1 - Ethical Issues and Debates

8. Worst topic?
Unit 3 AOS 2 - Power in the Asia Pacific

9. Tips/Tricks?
   - Be up to date with current events
   - Read high scoring responses from past students
   - Do a LOT of practice essays.

I kind of won the teacher lottery as the first global teacher I had got fired after term 2 and the teacher who replaced him, who had never taught the subject before, had some family emergency so she wasn’t there for about 6 weeks. Pretty messy, but you hopefully will have a different experience.

I had to do 7 subjects in year 11 (due to having an external subject) so I picked politics 1/2 intending to drop it in year 12. But I ended up dropping psychology so I was stuck with it.
I picked politics 1/2 because I wanted to also do History Revolutions and thought it’d be a nice complement.

Considering that I got a raw 39 (scaled 42) with no studying I’d say yes lol. But that’s just my low standards.

Yes.
In global there is a “10-year rule” that says you can only use case studies if they are less than one decade old. Generally you’d want to stick within a 5 year time frame though.

I'll just link my subject review for global politics 3/4 if you haven't read it yet.

By the way, I don't know if you're aware but Australian and Global Politics are one subject at unit 1/2, but two separate subjects (Australian Politics, Global Politics) at unit 3/4.
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

da_coolest1

• Trailblazer
  • oof
  • Respect: +8
Re: Aus+Global Pol Experiences
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 08:16:38 pm »
1. Do you enjoy it?
Global was my least favourite subject back when I did VCE, however now looking back on it, I do not regret picking it at all, and would happily redo the subject if you rewind the clock.

I liked the amount of short-answer questions in global as opposed to long extended response questions. As I also did literature and history (two heavily essay-based subjects) global gave me a nice break.

I didn’t like how each area of study was so separated from each other, you kind of get the feeling that you’re doing four different smaller subjects.

No

Global was my bludge, so I didn’t do any study for it at all throughout the year. I only started studying for global after I had finished all my other exams in November (the global exam is usually very late in the exam period).

Exam: 4 x 2 pages of short answer questions (2 pages per AOS); one extended response at the end.
SACs vary from school to school but generally you’d expect both short answer and extended response. At my school we also did a debate as a part of our final SAC, but that wasn’t common.

7. Favourite topic?
Unit 4 AOS 1 - Ethical Issues and Debates

8. Worst topic?
Unit 3 AOS 2 - Power in the Asia Pacific

Thanks for replying. My school doesn’t offer it so no one really knows anything about it which makes me a bit of a guinea pig. That kinda scares me. I think i have to pick by next Monday too.

9. Tips/Tricks?
   - Be up to date with current events
   - Read high scoring responses from past students
   - Do a LOT of practice essays.

I kind of won the teacher lottery as the first global teacher I had got fired after term 2 and the teacher who replaced him, who had never taught the subject before, had some family emergency so she wasn’t there for about 6 weeks. Pretty messy, but you hopefully will have a different experience.

I had to do 7 subjects in year 11 (due to having an external subject) so I picked politics 1/2 intending to drop it in year 12. But I ended up dropping psychology so I was stuck with it.
I picked politics 1/2 because I wanted to also do History Revolutions and thought it’d be a nice complement.

Considering that I got a raw 39 (scaled 42) with no studying I’d say yes lol. But that’s just my low standards.

Yes.
In global there is a “10-year rule” that says you can only use case studies if they are less than one decade old. Generally you’d want to stick within a 5 year time frame though.

I'll just link my subject review for global politics 3/4 if you haven't read it yet.

By the way, I don't know if you're aware but Australian and Global Politics are one subject at unit 1/2, but two separate subjects (Australian Politics, Global Politics) at unit 3/4.
2020: Methods
2021: Chemistry | Biology | Indonesian SL | English | Australian/Global Politics

forever sleep deprived