Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:39:28 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568066 times)  Share 

NowYouTseMe

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1845 on: December 02, 2017, 11:54:22 pm »
Sure!

The inefficiency of society's unhealthy reliance on forensic technology renders the Criminal Investigation Process as ineffective. Saying 'unhealthy' in this context is a bit of a colloquialism, so you can probably ditch that bit. Outlining the standards of DNA collection, the Crimes (Forensic Procedures) Act 2000 (NSW) was passed to ensure forensic evidence is ethically obtained and free from interference. Good. However, in R v Jama (2008), Jama was wrongfully convicted for rape due to "CSI" effect, where jurors are, “seduced” (SMH 2014) by DNA due to their misconceived notions of it being a foolproof mechanism. Despite compelling evidence corroborating Jama’s alibi being elsewhere at time of the attack, the jury’s reach of a guilty verdict solely on the basis of DNA profiling emphasises the way in which the prosecution tactfully allows this “CSI effect” to cloud their genuine judgement by drawing their focus on the existence of the match, rather than the possibility of contamination. I think this is a tiny bit too long to be delving into the specifics of a single case - You don't need to lay out how the CSI effect played out in this case if you don't want to. You can be quicker and punchier - The audience can garner how the effect would have impacted the verdict themselves, so you can focus on evaluative judgements ("Thus showing the ineffectiveness of...") and introducing additional evidence :)

further onto this, despite the paragraph being an 'inefficiency' themed one, there needs to be some sort of evidence leading towards the criminal investigation process being at least partially efficient as within the legal system, there is no entirely efficient or entirely inefficient portion; imo you need to make a judgement on to what extent the criminal investigation system is effective in achieving justice, ideally based on the criteria outlined at the end of the prelim 'Law in Practice' syllabus. Also, I feel like there are stronger body paragraphs than just forensic evidence ie bail/remand, anti-terrorism laws relating to preventative detention, straight up police powers etc
HSC 2016
Information Processes and Technology: 90

HSC 2018
Advanced English: 95 | Extension 1 English: 47 | Extension 2 English: 42 | Legal Studies: 95 | Modern History: 94 | French Continuers: 84 | Mathematics Advanced: 89

LAT 2018: 88 (90th Percentile)

ATAR: 98.05

millie.w

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1846 on: February 04, 2018, 03:41:41 pm »
What is the difference between the term 'life imprisonment' and 'imprisonment for life'? Or do they mean the same thing?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1847 on: February 04, 2018, 04:01:01 pm »
What is the difference between the term 'life imprisonment' and 'imprisonment for life'? Or do they mean the same thing?

Welcome to the forums!! Yep, those mean the same thing ;D

millie.w

• Adventurer
« Reply #1848 on: February 04, 2018, 09:48:39 pm »
+1
I'm not sure if I heard wrong, but Elyse mentioned in her latest lecture something about two terms (something like 'life imprisonment' and 'imprisonment for life') that sound similar but do not actually mean the same thing?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 09:50:14 pm by millie.w »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1849 on: February 04, 2018, 10:30:17 pm »
I'm not sure if I heard wrong, but Elyse mentioned in her latest lecture something about two terms (something like 'life imprisonment' and 'imprisonment for life') that sound similar but do not actually mean the same thing?

hey!

your question has been answered above. :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #1850 on: February 04, 2018, 11:28:11 pm »
+3
Hey there! 'Life imprisonment' refers to a 25 year sentence, and I think the other term that you're referring to might be 'natural life imprisonment' - this means that the sentence applies for the rest of the offender's life :)
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1851 on: February 05, 2018, 11:06:45 am »
+3

Hey Millie! Just echoing the above - sometimes people will be imprisoned for the full term of their natural life. I see this mostly when there are compounds of sentences put together for different charges usually regarding a similar event - maybe a murder, an assault, and interference with a corpse, for example. Then there is 25 years "life" imprisonment which is far more common and typically what any kind of HSC question will mean when referring to life imprisonment.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

millie.w

• Adventurer
« Reply #1852 on: February 05, 2018, 08:08:34 pm »
Does NSWPD stand for New South Wales Police Department? Because it's in the Course Notes but I'm not entirely sure what it means

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #1853 on: February 05, 2018, 11:37:25 pm »
Does NSWPD stand for New South Wales Police Department? Because it's in the Course Notes but I'm not entirely sure what it means
Hey Millie, can you give me the sentence where you found NSWPD for some context? I think it might stand for NSW Parlimantary Debates, but I just want to make sure :)
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1854 on: February 06, 2018, 09:45:33 am »
+2

I'm 99% sure it's meant in the context of the New South Wales Police Department :)

Nadim

• Adventurer
« Reply #1855 on: February 12, 2018, 04:30:47 pm »
Hello! I'm currently studying human rights in class, we've only had one lesson, but any tips you would personally recommend for this specific topic in terms of cases, essays or legislation?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1856 on: February 12, 2018, 05:12:58 pm »
+1
Hello! I'm currently studying human rights in class, we've only had one lesson, but any tips you would personally recommend for this specific topic in terms of cases, essays or legislation?

Hey Nadim! I could say lots, but I'll stick to something I think is the most important. You study the Nature and Development of Human Rights early on - slavery, trade unionism, education, etc. Make sure you understand all of these equally well. It's not a "pick your favourite" because the exam could examine you on any one of them! So make sure you give them all equal attention, which I'm sure your text book does, as you learn them. This way you're not putting all of your energy into slavery, and then ignoring environmental rights - which could potentially be what you're examined on solely for a short answer!

Claudiaa

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #1857 on: February 12, 2018, 05:23:52 pm »
+1

My school did the Human Rights topic first (before crime) and what I would personally say is to really make sure your notes are detailed on each nature of development of human rights - have at least one case (if possible) I know for the abolishment of slavery I knew it was article 4 of the UDHR and I knew a contemporary case (R v Wei Tang in Aus) but also something that's REALLY important is to remember the characteristics of Human Rights (i.e. inalienable, inherent, indivisible, interdependent etc) I see these questions coming up all the time in multiple choice

Human rights (personally) isn't content heavy and since you are only getting short answers on it I recommend DOING SHORT ANSWERS! All of the past hsc exams are what I used in preparation for my assesment task and I ranked 1st (because these practice questions helped me significantly) Also since it's not content heavy, you can really use the extra memorising space in your brain (does that make sense haha) to just go that extra step and add MORE detail (cases, know sections of the constituion really well and legislations)
HSC 2018: English Advanced | Math Ext 1 | Studies of Religion I | Economics | Legal | Modern History

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #1858 on: February 12, 2018, 11:29:46 pm »

Hi! The others have already responded but I thought I'd chuck in my two cents too :) For the Human Rights topic, make sure you know or are familiar with EVERYTHING, because they can literally chuck any question at you in the exam (Short answers section... Yay!....) I had cases, international AND domestic legislation, and media articles for nearly every dotpoint in the Human Rights syllabus. Case studies are so important when responding to short answer questions and you want to make sure you've got evidence to back up what you're saying.

The general structure that I used when talking about a Human Rights concept in my notes: Definition --> Description or extra information --> Examples (cases, media articles, legislation) --> Ineffective and effectiveness

For the contemporary issue, you want to make sure you know a good amount of information because they usually allocate a large amount of marks to the question (6 or 8) In my notes, I usually wrote about the non-legal and legal responses of the domestic and international responses, and the effectiveness and ineffectiveness of each.

And I totally agree with Elyse's point! Definitely learn all those types of rights equally and don't favour one over the other. When I was studying, I put alot of my time into learning about the right to education (because it was super interesting) and in the HSC, trade union rights (which I didn't study much at all) was the short-answer question thrown at us. Whoops....
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

Nadim

• Adventurer
« Reply #1859 on: February 13, 2018, 02:27:27 pm »
Hey Nadim! I could say lots, but I'll stick to something I think is the most important. You study the Nature and Development of Human Rights early on - slavery, trade unionism, education, etc. Make sure you understand all of these equally well. It's not a "pick your favourite" because the exam could examine you on any one of them! So make sure you give them all equal attention, which I'm sure your text book does, as you learn them. This way you're not putting all of your energy into slavery, and then ignoring environmental rights - which could potentially be what you're examined on solely for a short answer!

Thanks so much! This will really help me since I tend to focus on parts I really enjoy!