Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 09:35:15 pm

Author Topic: ThunderDragon's VCE Journey  (Read 13291 times)

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +110
ThunderDragon's VCE Journey
« on: April 22, 2020, 01:25:29 pm »
+13
Yo everyone
After reading everyone's VCE Journal and being stuck in quarantine, I decided that it would probs be a good idea to start my own VCE Journal since I've got a lot of time even though it's pretty late.
I'm currently in Year 12 and doing 5 subjects. I did 3/4 Geography last year as my early entry subject and got a 41 which I was quite surprised about since my Sac results weren't amazing.

Current Subjects:
English
Methods
Chemistry
Biology
Psychology

Here are some of my goals for this year:
I'm aiming for a 98.5 atar although deep down, I hope for a low - mid 99 atar. I hope to get into Medicine at Monash which is my dream course although I'm also considering Bachelor of Science, Biomed, Physio or Optometry.

English:
I've done 2 Sacs for far but I haven't got my results back due to Covid and schools being closed. Regardless, I'm alright at English and enjoy it to an extent however I find it's harder to study for English than my other subjects just because its more open-ended and creative. Aiming for a 43+ study score for English just cause it's in Top 4.

Methods
I hate Methods with a passion and I'm only doing this subject for prereqs for some of the courses I'm interested in. I pre much failed 1/2 Methods so not expecting much for this subject. Aiming for a 30 although would be really happy with a 35. Don't really care though since this is gonna be in my bottom 2.

Chemistry
I found 1/2 Chem quite difficult but 3/4 Chem has been slightly better. Despite this, I was pretty lazy for term 1 and stuffed up my first Chem Sac. Was a pretty depressing experience but I've decided that I still want to try and do well in this subject. Aiming for roughly a 42+ study score.

Biology
This is probs my 2nd favorite subject. Despite certain parts of Biology being rather boring like Photosynthesis and not caring much for it in Term 1, I'm determined for this subject to reach my Top 4. Once I understand the concepts, it is actually alright. Haven't had any Sacs for bio yet so I've still got a pretty clean slate to work with. Aiming for a 45+ study score.

Psychology
This is my favorite subject and I'm really enjoying it so far. Did Year 10 Psych and really enjoyed and kinda regretted not choosing 1/2 Psych tho it's not that relevant to 3/4. I'm finding Psych to be pre relevant to school and life in general which other subjects I do don't exactly do except maybe Bio. I have done a Sac for Psych and got a pretty decent result although I was slightly disappointed that I couldn't have gotten higher because I made a few dumb mistakes. Regardless, aiming for a 45+ study score.

I will try and post weekly. How's everyone dealing with VCE during this Corona pandemic?
2019 - Geography [41]
2020 - English, Methods, Chem, Bio and Psych [39]
2021 - 2023 Bachelor of Science at Monash

ThunderDragon's Journey to Med

Currently offering tutoring in 3/4 Psychology for 2022. PM if interested!

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
Re: ThunderDragon's VCE Journey
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 01:58:03 pm »
+5
Welcome to the Atarnotes!
It is never to late to start a journal, quite a few have been made a month before exams start, so you could think of yourself as early to the party. Awesome subject selection! Mine is quite similar except I didn't do geography and I am doing food studies instead of psych.
I believe we may be the same person in methods, I despise that subject so much, but a 35 would still be an awesome score!
I think alot people have screwed up their first SAC in one subject or another, I did in chem as well, so lets hope it just gets better throughout the year!
Bio was awesome so i'm glad you're enjoying it. Do you have any hobbies you do on the side? What are you doing with your spare time at the moment?
Looking forward to more updates.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 02:01:34 pm »
+3
Welcome to the Atarnotes!
It is never to late to start a journal, quite a few have been made a month before exams start, so you could think of yourself as early to the party. Awesome subject selection! Mine is quite similar except I didn't do geography and I am doing food studies instead of psych.
I believe we may be the same person in methods, I despise that subject so much, but a 35 would still be an awesome score!
I think alot people have screwed up their first SAC in one subject or another, I did in chem as well, so lets hope it just gets better throughout the year!
Bio was awesome so i'm glad you're enjoying it. Do you have any hobbies you do on the side? What are you doing with your spare time at the moment?
Looking forward to more updates.
Haha thanks! Yeah I despise methods so much. Bio is pre good so far! In terms of hobbies, I like reading, watching Netflix, playing games with friends, playing Tennis (haven't been able to cause Lockdown tho  :( ) and I just started clarinet this year. In my spare time, usually just watch Youtube , Netflix, Chicago Med and I've been working out everyday. What about you?
2019 - Geography [41]

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 03:11:59 pm »
+4
Hi ThunderDragon!! ;D

Welcome to the very addictive, VCE Journey Journals where once you start, you definitely won't be stopping anytime soon🤣.
I love the different subjects you have picked and your goals for them too ;D. Is there a reason you want to do medicine in the future? (or like similar sciences?)

Either way, I'm really looking forward to seeing new journal entry updates in the future ;D

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 03:40:10 pm »
+4
Hi ThunderDragon!! ;D

Welcome to the very addictive, VCE Journey Journals where once you start, you definitely won't be stopping anytime soon🤣.
I love the different subjects you have picked and your goals for them too ;D. Is there a reason you want to do medicine in the future? (or like similar sciences?)

Either way, I'm really looking forward to seeing new journal entry updates in the future ;D
Thanks! Yeah already addicting. Haha I thought my subject choices are rather similar except for Geo which could be considered different. Cliche as it may sound, the reason why I want to become a doctor is I just enjoy helping people. Kinda exacerbated by my positive experience at work experience in a hospital and my enjoyment for life sciences. What do you wan to do after high school?
2019 - Geography [41]

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 06:49:41 pm »
+1
Thanks! Yeah already addicting. Haha I thought my subject choices are rather similar except for Geo which could be considered different. Cliche as it may sound, the reason why I want to become a doctor is I just enjoy helping people. Kinda exacerbated by my positive experience at work experience in a hospital and my enjoyment for life sciences. What do you wan to do after high school?

That's great to see that work experience helped decide possible areas of work in the future! ;D
After high school, I really want to keep studying maths, science and design so I'm thinking right now to do engineering? I've been tossing both electrical and biomedical engineering for a while now (I'm leaning towards electrical more as it has a lot more physics going on). There is always a weird thought at the back of my head telling me to become a teacher though too which I think might actually happen in the future. I'm 100% positive I would like to do something STEM-related in the future but for right now, I think I'll just pick something that has the stuff I want to study and just see where life takes me;D.

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
  • GO BEYOND!!!! PLUS ULTRA!!!!
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 07:47:24 pm »
+2
Yo everyone
After reading everyone's VCE Journal and being stuck in quarantine, I decided that it would probs be a good idea to start my own VCE Journal since I've got a lot of time even though it's pretty late.
I'm currently in Year 12 and doing 5 subjects. I did 3/4 Geography last year as my early entry subject and got a 41 which I was quite surprised about since my Sac results weren't amazing.

Current Subjects:
English
Methods
Chemistry
Biology
Psychology

Here are some of my goals for this year:
I'm aiming for a 98.5 atar although deep down, I hope for a low - mid 99 atar. I hope to get into Medicine at Monash which is my dream course although I'm also considering Bachelor of Science, Biomed, Physio or Optometry.

English:
I've done 2 Sacs for far but I haven't got my results back due to Covid and schools being closed. Regardless, I'm alright at English and enjoy it to an extent however I find it's harder to study for English than my other subjects just because its more open-ended and creative. Aiming for a 43+ study score for English just cause it's in Top 4.

Methods
I hate Methods with a passion and I'm only doing this subject for prereqs for some of the courses I'm interested in. I pre much failed 1/2 Methods so not expecting much for this subject. Aiming for a 30 although would be really happy with a 35. Don't really care though since this is gonna be in my bottom 2.

Chemistry
I found 1/2 Chem quite difficult but 3/4 Chem has been slightly better. Despite this, I was pretty lazy for term 1 and stuffed up my first Chem Sac. Was a pretty depressing experience but I've decided that I still want to try and do well in this subject. Aiming for roughly a 42+ study score.

Biology
This is probs my 2nd favorite subject. Despite certain parts of Biology being rather boring like Photosynthesis and not caring much for it in Term 1, I'm determined for this subject to reach my Top 4. Once I understand the concepts, it is actually alright. Haven't had any Sacs for bio yet so I've still got a pretty clean slate to work with. Aiming for a 45+ study score.

Psychology
This is my favorite subject and I'm really enjoying it so far. Did Year 10 Psych and really enjoyed and kinda regretted not choosing 1/2 Psych tho it's not that relevant to 3/4. I'm finding Psych to be pre relevant to school and life in general which other subjects I do don't exactly do except maybe Bio. I have done a Sac for Psych and got a pretty decent result although I was slightly disappointed that I couldn't have gotten higher because I made a few dumb mistakes. Regardless, aiming for a 45+ study score.

I will try and post weekly. How's everyone dealing with VCE during this Corona pandemic?

Welcome to ATARNotes ThunderDragon!

That's a nice VCE choice overall. I'm doing similar subjects to you, except I did psych last year, and I cooked it, ooft, but it's alright cuz I have my other subjects to boost my ATAR. I'm currently doing four of the Asian 5, apart from physics, and I'm striving to get 98+ for my ATAR (I'd be thrilled if I get 99+ tho), just for my satisfaction. I'm not going for med cuz I'm TERRIBLY bad at dealing with gore, so I can't perform any dissections unfortunately. I'm still deciding with my uni preferences, and I'm still sitting on the fence between BSc. at UoM (pharmacology / bioengineering - leaning more towards bioengineering cuz it's more diverse) OR double BSc. (major: pharmacology) and BE (major: materials or mechatronics engineering) at Monash (had to underline them just to avoid confusion). I want to become a bioengineer, a researcher in drugs and mental health, and perhaps a writer.

Tbh, I kinda do regret my VCE choices cuz they're not v well rounded, so I would instead do literature (I'm a fan of classic books, especially cuz the language captures me a lot, and I enjoy writing. I actually wanna do BA too, but I'm already planning to do double degrees, might do it in the future tho), chem (one of my fav subjects), methods, spesh (another fav subject), glopo (I like politics and I care about justice, but don't ask me anything about it cuz I haven't been bothered with keeping up with it for ages, oops lmao), and probs psych (p interesting - it has changed my perception of the society a lot tbh, but not much of a memory person, more of a logic person).

Not sure what else to say, but good luck with VCE and your future endeavours!

From mi-xao-14 (you already know who I am from the beginning lmao, but dun expose me pls, kamsahamnida) ^^
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 07:59:13 pm by mi-xao-14 »

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 08:15:48 pm »
+4
Hey ThunderDragon! 
Looks like we have 4 similar subjects! Same though! Isn't Psychology absolutely amazing?  ;D What's your favourite topic so far? I really loved Stress and the Nervous System but Learning is okay as well.  :P

What are your favourite Netflix shows to watch?

It was nice to meet you and I can't wait to follow along on your VCE Journey!  ;D

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 08:39:31 pm »
Hey!
Looks like your doing all the subjects I’m doing! I also hate methods too. I really love the rest though. Are you sitting the UCAT was well? And is your school doing at home SACs?
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 08:48:25 pm »
Welcome to ATARNotes ThunderDragon!

That's a nice VCE choice overall. I'm doing similar subjects to you, except I did psych last year, and I cooked it, ooft, but it's alright cuz I have my other subjects to boost my ATAR. I'm currently doing four of the Asian 5, apart from physics, and I'm striving to get 98+ for my ATAR (I'd be thrilled if I get 99+ tho), just for my satisfaction. I'm not going for med cuz I'm TERRIBLY bad at dealing with gore, so I can't perform any dissections unfortunately. I'm still deciding with my uni preferences, and I'm still sitting on the fence between BSc. at UoM (pharmacology / bioengineering - leaning more towards bioengineering cuz it's more diverse) OR double BSc. (major: pharmacology) and BE (major: materials or mechatronics engineering) at Monash (had to underline them just to avoid confusion). I want to become a bioengineer, a researcher in drugs and mental health, and perhaps a writer.

Tbh, I kinda do regret my VCE choices cuz they're not v well rounded, so I would instead do literature (I'm a fan of classic books, especially cuz the language captures me a lot, and I enjoy writing. I actually wanna do BA too, but I'm already planning to do double degrees, might do it in the future tho), chem (one of my fav subjects), methods, spesh (another fav subject), glopo (I like politics and I care about justice, but don't ask me anything about it cuz I haven't been bothered with keeping up with it for ages, oops lmao), and probs psych (p interesting - it has changed my perception of the society a lot tbh, but not much of a memory person, more of a logic person).

Not sure what else to say, but good luck with VCE and your future endeavours!

From mi-xao-14 (you already know who I am from the beginning lmao, but dun expose me pls, kamsahamnida) ^^
Haha thanks I won't expose you lmao
2019 - Geography [41]

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 08:49:14 pm »
That's great to see that work experience helped decide possible areas of work in the future! ;D
After high school, I really want to keep studying maths, science and design so I'm thinking right now to do engineering? I've been tossing both electrical and biomedical engineering for a while now (I'm leaning towards electrical more as it has a lot more physics going on). There is always a weird thought at the back of my head telling me to become a teacher though too which I think might actually happen in the future. I'm 100% positive I would like to do something STEM-related in the future but for right now, I think I'll just pick something that has the stuff I want to study and just see where life takes me;D.
Oh cool! Lot of interesting choices. Teacher is also kinda on my list too.
2019 - Geography [41]

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 08:50:48 pm »
+1
Hey ThunderDragon! 
Looks like we have 4 similar subjects! Same though! Isn't Psychology absolutely amazing?  ;D What's your favourite topic so far? I really loved Stress and the Nervous System but Learning is okay as well.  :P

What are your favourite Netflix shows to watch?

It was nice to meet you and I can't wait to follow along on your VCE Journey!  ;D
Yeah Psych is good! Mine's probs Nervous System tho Learning isn't bad. I don't really watch Netflix shows but mainly movies. Tho I do enjoy watching Chicago Med which is on 9Now
2019 - Geography [41]

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 08:52:59 pm »
Hey!
Looks like your doing all the subjects I’m doing! I also hate methods too. I really love the rest though. Are you sitting the UCAT was well? And is your school doing at home SACs?
Haha yeah methods sucks. Yeah I'm sitting the UCAT. Nah our school pre much postponed Sacs tho we're just doing tasks which equate to an S/N and may be used incase of derived study score.
2019 - Geography [41]

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 01:47:54 pm »
+2
Haha thanks! Yeah I despise methods so much. Bio is pre good so far! In terms of hobbies, I like reading, watching Netflix, playing games with friends, playing Tennis (haven't been able to cause Lockdown tho  :( ) and I just started clarinet this year. In my spare time, usually just watch Youtube , Netflix, Chicago Med and I've been working out everyday. What about you?
I'm a bit of a reader when I get the time, what do you read? I am a huge scifi/fantasy fan, I love Brandon Sandersan's books and lee bardugo. Yeah, I think most sports have been put on hold, I haven't played sports in ages, but I use to do basketball. Youtube takes up most of my free time, this doesn't make me feel productive, but there is just so much content to watch and I end up going down rabbit holes at 3 am in the morning. Like on Monday night, I started researching sourdough starters, and I didn't get to sleep till 4....
I haven't watched much TV, I watch Brooklyn 99 from time to time, and I have only really watched one movie this year, being the first Star Trek film in the robot. I wish I had you motivation to work out everyday!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 02:03:01 pm »
+1
I'm a bit of a reader when I get the time, what do you read? I am a huge scifi/fantasy fan, I love Brandon Sandersan's books and lee bardugo. Yeah, I think most sports have been put on hold, I haven't played sports in ages, but I use to do basketball. Youtube takes up most of my free time, this doesn't make me feel productive, but there is just so much content to watch and I end up going down rabbit holes at 3 am in the morning. Like on Monday night, I started researching sourdough starters, and I didn't get to sleep till 4....
I haven't watched much TV, I watch Brooklyn 99 from time to time, and I have only really watched one movie this year, being the first Star Trek film in the robot. I wish I had you motivation to work out everyday!
I usually like reading generic teenage books or Scifi. Probs favorite books are Hunger Games though Lockwood and Co is also another series I really enjoyed. Yeah youtube can be good and bad. Haha I only really started working out because of lockdown but today I've just ordered fries and been surfing on Youtube so broke my chain of working out days in a row.
2019 - Geography [41]