Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:12:41 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231795 times)

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4635 on: July 29, 2020, 01:23:03 pm »
Hey everyone! :)

I was just wondering if anyone had advice on writing clear, concise and sophisticated introductions and what differentiates a Band 5 introduction from a Band 6 introduction?

Thanks in advance!
Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #4636 on: July 29, 2020, 03:04:51 pm »
+3
Hey everyone! :)

I was just wondering if anyone had advice on writing clear, concise and sophisticated introductions and what differentiates a Band 5 introduction from a Band 6 introduction?

Thanks in advance!
Coolmate 8)

Hey Coolmate,

As much as I would love to help you, I don't really have enough expertise/knowledge of the HSC English Advanced subject to give you a solid and definite answer to your question as I'm a QCE student. But I would be more than happy to provide some links below which I think can help you with structuring an effective HSC essay introduction, below:

https://artofsmart.com.au/band-6-hsc-english-essay/
https://artofsmart.com.au/hsc-english-essay-thesis/

Sorry that this answer isn't as in-depth as my answers usually are but hopefully, these articles can help you just a little bit. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions, queries or concerns as I would be more than happy to help with proofreading, editing or providing feedback for your essay.

Have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4637 on: July 29, 2020, 07:06:40 pm »
+2
Hey Coolmate,

As much as I would love to help you, I don't really have enough expertise/knowledge of the HSC English Advanced subject to give you a solid and definite answer to your question as I'm a QCE student. But I would be more than happy to provide some links below which I think can help you with structuring an effective HSC essay introduction, below:

https://artofsmart.com.au/band-6-hsc-english-essay/
https://artofsmart.com.au/hsc-english-essay-thesis/

Sorry that this answer isn't as in-depth as my answers usually are but hopefully, these articles can help you just a little bit. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions, queries or concerns as I would be more than happy to help with proofreading, editing or providing feedback for your essay.

Have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.

Hey s110820!

Thanks for your help, I will definitely check these resources out :)

Coolmate 8)
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

svnflower

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4638 on: July 31, 2020, 05:30:24 pm »
Hello :)

Which words, apart from "ultimately" and "thus", are good to use for linking sentences at the end of a paragraph?

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4639 on: July 31, 2020, 07:06:09 pm »
+5
Hello :)

Which words, apart from "ultimately" and "thus", are good to use for linking sentences at the end of a paragraph?

Hey svnflower,

Great question!
I would suggest the following words for "Ultimately":
✔Consequently
✔As a result
✔It is thereby evident that.....**Insert Text Here**

And the following for "Thus":
✔Therefore
✔Evidently
✔Clearly
✔Hence

When finding synonyms I like to use: https://www.thesaurus.com/

I hope this helps and goodluck with Trials! ;)
Coolmate 8)

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

mrsc

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4640 on: August 01, 2020, 12:41:28 am »
Hey just needed help identifying two main stylistic features of Nam le's Love and Honour and Pity and Pride and
Compassion and Sacrifice for my Module C reflection. So far I've only mentioned the use of a first-person narrative voice.

svnflower

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4641 on: August 01, 2020, 09:50:30 am »
+1
Hey svnflower,

Great question!
I would suggest the following words for "Ultimately":
✔Consequently
✔As a result
✔It is thereby evident that.....**Insert Text Here**

And the following for "Thus":
✔Therefore
✔Evidently
✔Clearly
✔Hence

When finding synonyms I like to use: https://www.thesaurus.com/

I hope this helps and goodluck with Trials! ;)
Coolmate 8)

Thankyou! Hope your trials run smooth too!  :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4642 on: August 01, 2020, 02:56:46 pm »
+3
Hey just needed help identifying two main stylistic features of Nam le's Love and Honour and Pity and Pride and
Compassion and Sacrifice for my Module C reflection. So far I've only mentioned the use of a first-person narrative voice.

Hey, mrsc!

There's plenty to talk about with Nam Le for Module C  :D Some of the defining form features of the prescribed text include the use of anecdote, incorporation of foreign language and the role of dialogue in forwarding narrative purposes.

In writing your reflection, you want to justify how you have been stylistically influenced by the prescribed text. For example, you might discuss how you also used anecdote from the perspective of an imagined speaker to enable them to reflect personally on a significant event. You could also highlight where you have deviated from the prescribed text's reasons for using that stylistic feature. An instance could be incorporating foreign language to ultimately reveal the barriers that it creates in communication between two characters in your creative piece, rather than to illustrate its capacity to unite people culturally. It all comes down to your purpose as a writer and what your response intends to evoke in the reader, having been influenced by Le  :) Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4643 on: August 02, 2020, 01:01:47 pm »
+1
Thankyou! Hope your trials run smooth too!  :)

That's ok and thankyou! :)

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4644 on: August 09, 2020, 08:08:17 pm »
Hey Everyone, :)

This might sound like a cliched question, but how many quotes should we put in an essay. Currently, I am planning on putting 11 into each essay for both Paper 1 and Paper 2 (that are integrated). Is this enough?

Thanks!
Coolmate 8)

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4645 on: August 09, 2020, 08:35:18 pm »
+4
Hey Everyone, :)

This might sound like a cliched question, but how many quotes should we put in an essay. Currently, I am planning on putting 11 into each essay for both Paper 1 and Paper 2 (that are integrated). Is this enough?

Thanks!
Coolmate 8)

Hey, Coolmate!

A cliche it may be but an important question nevertheless! I usually recommend at minimum 3 quotes and at maximum 5 quotes, so 4 is a nice number to work with. This is particularly the case with integrated essays which I've illustrated below with two different structures you might use!

STRUCTURE 1
•   Introduction
•   Body 1- Theme 1
o   Text 1+Text 2 (4 quotes; 2 quotes per text)
•   Body 2- Theme 2
o   Text 1+Text 2 (4 quotes)
•   Body 3- Theme 3
•   Conclusion

STRUCTURE 2
•   Introduction
•   Body 1- Theme 1
•   Body 2- Theme 2
o   Text 1+Text 3 (4 quotes)
•   Body 3- Theme 3
o   Text 2+Text 3 (4 quotes)
•   Conclusion

It ultimately doesn't matter whether you use 3, 4, 5 or even 6 quotes per paragraph. What's important is that you analyse them effectively using techniques and constructing a convincing direction of argument with those examples. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4646 on: August 10, 2020, 08:35:33 am »
+1
Hey, Coolmate!

A cliche it may be but an important question nevertheless! I usually recommend at minimum 3 quotes and at maximum 5 quotes, so 4 is a nice number to work with. This is particularly the case with integrated essays which I've illustrated below with two different structures you might use!

STRUCTURE 1
•   Introduction
•   Body 1- Theme 1
•   Body 2- Theme 2
•   Body 3- Theme 3
•   Conclusion

STRUCTURE 2
•   Introduction
•   Body 1- Theme 1
•   Body 2- Theme 2
o   Text 1+Text 3 (4 quotes)
•   Body 3- Theme 3
o   Text 2+Text 3 (4 quotes)
•   Conclusion

It ultimately doesn't matter whether you use 3, 4, 5 or even 6 quotes per paragraph. What's important is that you analyse them effectively using techniques and constructing a convincing direction of argument with those examples. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

Angelina  ;D

Thanks Angelina for the help! I really appreciate it ;D

Coolmate 8)

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Fozia

• Adventurer
« Reply #4647 on: September 30, 2020, 12:37:34 pm »
Hey,
I'm a little scared I made a big mistake. I made no notes. Like none. I thought I wouldn't need them and I didn't really know how to learn from them. What do I do? There's only 20 days left!
Also, would making flashcards for English be a could idea? What would I make them about?
Also ,should I memorise the Course Content from the syllabus?
Thanks (I know that's a lot of questions)

Fozia

• Adventurer
« Reply #4648 on: September 30, 2020, 12:44:29 pm »
Is having a related text necessary? If it is, how much related texts should we have?
(I know it's a little late to ask this but a few books from the related texts lists, i've read previously since i'm a huge bookaholic)

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #4649 on: September 30, 2020, 12:56:55 pm »
+3
These still 20 days until your exam so it’s not too late. Try doing some practice essays and get the marked and get feedback for you to improve. Do some past papers.

Prepare some quotes, themes and ideas .Write out a study plan and do a bit for each module every day. You could make some flash cards and have like quote and technique. Use only quotes that are relevant to your themes and contain techniques. You should write out essay plans so you are more confident and prepared in answering questions in the exam.

Some people like to write a prepared response and then adapt it to suit the question in the exam. Make sure you get a good nights sleep the day before you exam

Good luck!