Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:06:22 pm

Author Topic: Nation States: Create Your Own Nation  (Read 4554 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Nation States: Create Your Own Nation
« on: June 04, 2018, 04:27:38 pm »
+7
Is anybody aware of this game here? It's apparently quite popular for those interested in political economy, or just politics, or just any type of social issue!

I'm just getting started, but the website sums it up pretty well:

"NationStates is a nation simulation game. Create a nation according to your political ideals and care for its people. Or deliberately oppress them. It's up to you."

I'm enjoying it, and I thought a bunch of others on here would also!

@Caleb @vox, for some reason I particularly thought of you two.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 04:41:04 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Nation States: Create Your Own Nation
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 04:41:04 pm »
+2
Looks interesting!  I'll definitely have to check it out after exams

Only looked very briefly,  but could we create an AN region?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 04:42:57 pm »
Looks interesting!  I'll definitely have to check it out after exams

Only looked very briefly,  but could we create an AN region?

Honestly I'm still getting my head around how it works and the whole region thing. But if so, this should definitely be a thing!

The auto-written description of my nation at the moment is as follows, but it's quite turbulent at the moment as I'm just starting out (I think):

"a tiny, genial nation, remarkable for its irreverence towards religion, absence of drug laws, and suspicion of poets. The compassionate, democratic population of 14 million enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct."

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 04:46:42 pm »
+5
If I didn't have exams I need to study for, I could see myself playing this- it looks quite interesting!

suspicion of poets.
@secretly_a_poet :P
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 04:47:25 pm »
+3
@miniturtle @insanipi - definitely get on it after exams!

In regard to the above, that's the one part of the description I don't think I like haha.

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 04:50:08 pm »

In regard to the above, that's the one part of the description I don't think I like haha.
So that was completely computer-generated?  ::)  ;)
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 04:51:48 pm »
+3
Honestly I'm still getting my head around how it works and the whole region thing. But if so, this should definitely be a thing!

The auto-written description of my nation at the moment is as follows, but it's quite turbulent at the moment as I'm just starting out (I think):

"a tiny, genial nation, remarkable for its irreverence towards religion, absence of drug laws, and suspicion of poets. The compassionate, democratic population of 14 million enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct."

Probably not ideal for @secretly a poet,  but otherwise it sounds like a pretty great place! 
[Beaten by insanipi]

I'm sure we can find a way to make an AN community on there - if it hasn't been discovered beforehand  I'll investigate next week

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 05:00:47 pm »
+3
Is anybody aware of this game here? It's apparently quite popular for those interested in political economy, or just politics, or just any type of social issue!

"NationStates is a nation simulation game. Create a nation according to your political ideals and care for its people. Or deliberately oppress them. It's up to you."

I am: The Democratic States of Kadonome and for some reason i am classified as an Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

With this description: The Democratic States of Kadonome is a fledgling, socially progressive nation, remarkable for its burgeoning lion population. The hard-working, democratic population of 5 million Kadonomeans have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.

"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 05:03:15 pm »
I am: The Democratic States of Kadonome and for some reason i am classified as an Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

With this description: The Democratic States of Kadonome is a fledgling, socially progressive nation, remarkable for its burgeoning lion population. The hard-working, democratic population of 5 million Kadonomeans have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.

I think dealing with the issues that arise is where some of the changes will come. It's a good bit of fun!

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 05:08:42 pm »
+6
Ooh, I'm excited! I am pretty sure that Civ V single-handedly dropped my study scores in 2016, so this is right up my alley ;)

I thought it'd be interesting to go a different direction...

The Empire of The Goose is a fledgling, safe nation, notable for its state-planned economy, compulsory military service, and punitive income tax rates. The cynical population of 5 million Gooseans are ruled without fear or favor by a psychotic dictator, who outlaws just about everything and refers to the populace as "my little playthings."

🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 05:09:59 pm »
+1
Ooh, I'm excited! I am pretty sure that Civ V single-handedly dropped my study scores in 2016, so this is right up my alley ;)

I thought it'd be interesting to go a different direction...

The Empire of The Goose is a fledgling, safe nation, notable for its state-planned economy, compulsory military service, and punitive income tax rates. The cynical population of 5 million Gooseans are ruled without fear or favor by a psychotic dictator, who outlaws just about everything and refers to the populace as "my little playthings."

I knew you'd get right into this hahaha. 😂

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 05:23:42 pm »
+2
The Armed Republic of WildenHirsch is a fledgling, pleasant nation, remarkable for its barren, inhospitable landscape, compulsory military service, and irreverence towards religion. The hard-nosed, hard-working population of 5 million WildenHirschians are either ruled by a sleek, efficient government or a conglomerate of multinational corporations; it's difficult to tell which.

The tiny government is dominated by the Department of Defense, with Law & Order, Public Transport, and Education also on the agenda, while International Aid and Spirituality are ignored. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 7.3%.

The strong WildenHirschian economy, worth 290 billion baht a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is broadly diversified and led by the Gambling industry, with major contributions from Arms Manufacturing, Book Publishing, and Automobile Manufacturing. Average income is 58,084 baht, with the richest citizens earning 8.4 times as much as the poorest.

Crime is a problem, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. WildenHirsch's national animal is the emu, which can occasionally be seen sifting through garbage in the nation's cities.
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 05:30:32 pm »
+3
I may have been slightly too harsh on my economy

The Rogue Nation of Kiresterione is a fledgling, safe nation, notable for its irreverence towards religion and devotion to social welfare. The democratic population of 5 million Kiresterioneans love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.

The large, socially-minded, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Education, and Healthcare. The average income tax rate is 46.3%, but much higher for the wealthy.

The developing Kiresterionean economy, worth 143 billion dollars a year, is led by the Tourism industry, with major contributions from Uranium Mining, Book Publishing, and Furniture Restoration. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 28,694 dollars, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.

The government awards prizes to television shows featuring stereotype-breaking minority roles, the latest Harry Potter book is a bestseller, organ donation rates are among the lowest in the region, and the "war on terror" doesn't seem to be making Kiresterioneans any less frightened. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Kiresterione's national animal is the dugong.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 08:44:44 pm »
+1
So anyone can create a region here. The person who creates it automatically has control over everything, they can choose when creating it to have no control. If they choose not to have control then the delegate has sole control over it. I'm pretty sure that a delegate is elected regardless (unless that box is unchecked) and has the same power as the founder. The delegate is the nation that has the most votes (endorsements?) in the World Assembly - So they have to join the WA and then other nations in the region can endorse them. So it's effectively voting for who you want to lead. I'm not really sure what power regions have over nations, but it is possible to make an AN one (dibs not it though)
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 08:55:34 pm »

Aww damn this looks like the shit. Will definitely get onto this on exams.

As an aside, has anyone played Tropico? It's kind of like this, except it's mainly about oppressing your people :p
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd