Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:44:20 am

Author Topic: How to revise for your Visual Arts exam  (Read 4461 times)  Share 

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
How to revise for your Visual Arts exam
« on: September 24, 2018, 08:38:38 pm »
+6
Hey everyone! With formals and graduation making their way to you this week, I've decided to create a quick guide on how to revise for your Visual Arts exam- especially after spending so much time on your body of work this year! Students usually neglect their HSC VA exam due to the tremendous amount of time dedicated towards the body of work. Though it is important to remember that the exam makes up for 50% of your external mark. Crazy.

(I also find that the VA exam this year is abnormally way toooo early in the HSC timetable since it's on Day 3/2nd week. Usually it is in the end of the third week. Nevertheless, this doesn't change things- it's still your VA exam)

During the interwar period between graduation and Paper One/Two, it is important to visit as many art galleries as much possible. Or at least our lovely Art Gallery of New South Wales (the real OG of art galleries in NSW). You will be able to see artworks in real life and consider aspects beyond the work itself- ie the exhibition space, audience interaction, the gallery it currently resides in. This will definitely help when answering questions relating to the conceptual framework and practice.

Another tip I would recommend is answering questions in timed conditions. It is both ridiculous and exhilarating at the same time that the VA exam is only 1.5 hours while other exams are 2/3 hours. Though, the best thing about this small allocated time is that- more bullshit comes out and yes bullshit in Visual Arts is the best way to succeed the subject. Check out 'The Art of Bullshitting' series here for more tips!

Know your artists for section 2 from top to bottom and submit practice essays to your teacher for feedback!! Section 2 is known for being (probably) the most flexible section in all HSC papers because you have SIX questions to pick from. It is safe to used a prepared essay for this section because you are bound to find a question that suits your thesis, essay and artists.

Check out what art critics have to say- no matter how pretentious they may sound, they provide a modern insight into works (whether it'd be contemporary or traditional). They will help you beef up your response and arguments for both Section 1 and 2.

And most of all- support your Visual Arts class. At this point, ranks don't matter so help each other out! Mark each others practice essays. Do a timed practice exam. Give suggestions for artists. Your class need to build each other up to maximise marks!!

Good luck ;D
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

annabellez

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: How to revise for your Visual Arts exam
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 01:15:37 pm »
Hi, that was super helpful. I'm new here so forgive me if I don't understand any rules of this community ahaha.
If I can't visit art galleries as often due to HSC being quite near, are there certain websites for news about artworks or online resources you recommend for me to access. Thanks!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: How to revise for your Visual Arts exam
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 01:33:52 pm »
+1
Hi, that was super helpful. I'm new here so forgive me if I don't understand any rules of this community ahaha.
If I can't visit art galleries as often due to HSC being quite near, are there certain websites for news about artworks or online resources you recommend for me to access. Thanks!

Hey hey! Welcome to the forums ;D

You can always check out the websites for the art galleries themselves (ie; AGNSW, MCA, White Rabbit Gallery etc.) since the information you will find onsite can also be found on their website. You can also try the Archibald prize or the Biennale of Sydney websites as well. Also have a check at the ARTEXPRESS website to check out how students have articulated their ideas and their choice of language/structure can help you with the exam :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.