Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 08:08:42 pm

Author Topic: Sample Section II Questions  (Read 4782 times)  Share 

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Sample Section II Questions
« on: February 19, 2018, 09:53:34 pm »
+9
Hey, everyone!

I compiled a bunch of Section II Extended Response questions for the HSC Visual Arts exam. You can use these to practise under exam conditions with or just to familiarise with the style of questions that may be asked. I will add more to this thread as the year progresses and I find more! Hope this helps!

Artist's Practice:

Account for the changes in the practice of artists, art critics or historians over time. (25 marks)

'I spend a lot of time researching in-situ as nothing compares to the real life experience of a place. As an architect, I have always believed that I need to understand the world before acting in the world.' (Alfredo Jaar) Analyse the role of research and experimentation in artmaking practice. (25 marks)

Evaluate how technology affects the practice of artists. (25 marks)

'Art is not only made with your hands.' With reference to this statement, discuss the significance of conceptual practice to artmaking. Refer to a range of examples in your answer. (25 marks)

Explain how multi-sensory experiences are explored in artmaking practice. (25 marks)

Assess the effect of time on the practice of artists. (25 marks)

Discuss how the practices of architects and/or designers are shaped by material and conceptual choices. (25 marks)

Unforseen events are often responsible for the new directions that artists take. Evaluate this view in relation to practitioners you have studied. (25 marks)

'Bias is unavoidable in the practice of art critics, art historians or artists.' Evaluate this statement making reference to at least ONE of the practices.
(25 marks)

'Art critics and historians create myths and generate debates.' Do you agree or disagree? Give reasons for your views. (25 marks)

Compare and contrast bodies of work by two artists you have studied. In your discussion, address the significance of intentions to their practice. (25 marks)

Explain how artistic conventions shape artists’ practice. (25 marks)

Explain how beliefs, motives and actions are reflected in the practise of artists. Refer to particular examples. (25 marks)

Conceptual Framework:

Artists can look inward and work intuitively or look outward and work rationally. Discuss this statement in relation to specific artists and their artworks. (25 marks)

What is the role of art in public spaces? In your answer you may refer to events, festivals, community projects, memorials, street art, cyber artworks, site specific artworks and/or other examples. (25 marks)

Analyse the role of audiences in the changing reputation and significance of artists and their works over time. In your answer you could consider audience to include the public, critics and/or historians, patrons, sponsors and curators. (25 marks)

'Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.' (Banksy, artist). With reference to this quotation, examine how art can be a social commentary in response to world events and/or issues. (25 marks)

'Contemporary art often demands interactions between artworks and audiences.' Explore this statement, with reference to the ways artists, galleries and/or curators can affect audience's interaction with works. (25 marks)

Assess the importance of time and place to interpretations of works such as installations, happenings and site-specific works. (25 marks)

'As the audience changes, so too does the meaning of artists' works.' Argue a case for or against this statement. (25 marks)

Explain how contemporary art has shaped our understanding of the different roles of artists. (25 marks)

The artist does not draw what he sees, but what he has to make others see’ – Edgar Degas, 1834 - 1917. Examine how artists represent their world. (25 marks)

New art has to compete with the real world so it must challenge and shock to engage its audience. Explain this statement with reference to particular artists and their artworks. (25 marks)

Investigate how ideologies and beliefs influence the ways artists represent their world in artworks. Refer to a range of artists in your response. (25 marks)

'Art exhibitions are not important to the process of art making.' Discuss this statement in relation to an art exhibition you have seen or read about. (25 marks)

Examine the significance of relationships between curators, artists and the public to the popularity of exhibitions. (25 marks)

Examine a range of artworks as representations of ideas about social identity. (25 marks)

Frames:

Discuss how artists have used intuition and imagination as a way of communicating deeply felt experiences. refer to a range of examples in your response. (25 marks)

Explain how artists have used various means to generate emotional responses from the audience. (25 marks)

'Art does not need to imitate life.' With reference to this statement, analyse how and why artists have used approaches other than realism. (25 marks)

'Cultural identity is constructed and challenged by stereotypes.' Evaluate this statement referring to artists and/or designers and/or filmmakers and/or other practitioners. (25 marks)

'Cultural context plays a significant role in the ways artists represent ideas about identity and place.' Discuss this statement, with reference to artists from different times and places. (25 marks)

Artists invent new ways to communicate with their audience using signs, symbols and visual codes. Do you agree with this view? Give reasons for your answer. Refer to particular artists, artworks and how audiences can respond. (25 marks)

‘The making of art is an intuitive act rather than a planned process’. Evaluate this statement. (25 marks)

'What I like so much about contemporary art is its ambiguity, its uncertainty. It is precisely this quality that engages and unsettles us’. How does this view challenge traditional ideas about art? Discuss particular examples of artworks to support your argument. (25 marks)

How do artists and/or curators challenge conventional ideas about what an exhibition can be? Refer to specific examples in your answer. (25 marks)

In what ways are contemporary art practices a challenge to cultural traditions? Refer to particular examples. (25 marks)

Analyse how artworks represent and document cultural histories. (25 marks)

Toodles,

Angelina  :D

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:48:49 am by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: Sample Section II Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 10:07:19 pm »
+3
This will be unbelievably helpful and time saving! :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 10:10:38 pm »
+1
Reading all these questions is making me miss doing the VA exam under time pressure aha ;)

Awesome compilation Angelina! Will definitely add this onto the VA Resource thread :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 11:18:44 pm »
+2
Ahhhhhhhh thank you soooo much for these!!! These are sacred to me right now (art exam tomorrow) hahah
2018 HSC

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 07:59:52 pm »
+1
Ahhhhhhhh thank you soooo much for these!!! These are sacred to me right now (art exam tomorrow) hahah

Hope the exam went well! ;D