Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:11:15 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231915 times)

GoboTheAlien

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4245 on: October 18, 2018, 10:49:44 pm »
WAIT HANG ON
For paper 2, mod A Joyce and Heaney, do you use 2 Joyce stories and 2 poems.... or just one of each ?!?!?!
Yeah.. I'm the master of stupid questions ;P

Grace Hatem

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4246 on: October 30, 2018, 04:28:54 pm »
Hey guys,
Can someone please tell me how to write a proper thesis, where should I gather my information from when writing it?
Thank you  :)

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #4247 on: October 30, 2018, 05:03:09 pm »
Heyy!!!!!

Welcome to the forum.

I did standard but what I always did was.....
Take a stance regarding the question.
Look at the rubric
Identify the aspects that apply to your text or you want to explore with the essay
Identify aspects of the questions that need to be directly addressed....

Write a killer thesis  :)

So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4248 on: November 11, 2018, 03:50:05 pm »
+3
Hello everyone! I know there have been a couple of questions already, but just putting this here as a marker for the new syllabus which kicks in for 2019 exams and beyond. Everything before this is still useful - Many of the general skills discussed previously are still relevant, and Module A-B are mainly unchanged from the previous syllabus too. But do keep in mind things might have changed a bit since previous questions were asked!

Keen to see this thread be just as much of a collaborative resource for the new course as it was for the old :)

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #4249 on: November 12, 2018, 04:46:57 pm »
+1
Hey guys,
Can someone please tell me how to write a proper thesis, where should I gather my information from when writing it?

Address the question specifically, and use the words from the question. However, try not to repeat it. I found that using 2 sentences could help me expand on my overall argument. Then you want to introduce your points which will prove your thesis true.
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

zuriah

• Adventurer
« Reply #4250 on: December 04, 2018, 08:54:38 pm »
Hey,
I'm currently writing an essay on 1984 for the common module and find myself constantly referring to the "human experience" and "collective" and "individual", I would LOVE some help with pinpointing some specific human qualities and emotions that reflect Winston's experience !! Thanks in advance :)

moq418

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4251 on: December 07, 2018, 10:12:35 am »
+8
THANKS ATARNOTES FOR HELPING ME THIS YEAR!!
Just finish HSC 2018 want to give back here is easy steps in structuring your essay and short response for english adv HSC exams and etc.
 Short Answer Section of Paper 1
1 mark    Answer the question in one statement using the words from the question and by providing ONE quote and ONE technique. However, if the question only asks for ONE quote or ONE technique or ONE theme/idea/concept, ONLY provide what the question asks for.
2 - 4 marks    Topic sentence which rehashes the question and lists the techniques being analysed. The number of techniques used will be determined by the number of marks the question is worth.

One analytical statement per technique. “Firstly, through the use of *technique*, in the *quote*, it can be seen that the composer represents discovery to be….” “Furthermore, through the *technique* in *quote* it is also suggested that….”

Concluding statement that provides a link between your analysis and the discovery rubric.
5 mark question   Mini Essay
Introduction: two statements
-   One statement that answers the question by linking it to the rubric.
-   Second statement that introduces the texts you will be analysing
Body Paragraph 1 (text 1)
-   Topic sentence that lists the techniques we will be analysing – 2 techniques.
-   Analysis statement 1
-   Analysis statement 2
-   Link to the rubric
-   Link to the question
Body Paragraph 2 (text 2).
-   Topic sentence that lists the techniques we will be analysing – 2 techniques.
-   Analysis statement 1
-   Analysis statement 2
-   Link to the rubric
-   Link to the question
Conclusion
-   One statement that reinforces the truth of what was stated in the introduction.

-   What if the question is worth 6 marks? – add one more
-   What if the question asks for 1 text only? Analyse the start and end.

Annotated Reading
Text 1 – Photograph and Quote.
-   “through an analysis of the interplay between the written and  visual text”
-   Family and relationships   this text has something to do with us discovering ourselves through our relationships with others
o   Salient image of the family
o   Father in the background smiling as he stands behind his children who are represented in the foreground
o   Close positioning indicates a sense of connection.
o   Symbolism of the eski suggests that the family is camping….that connectiosn to others are strengthened through shared experience.
-   Metaphor: “love is but the discovery of ourselves in others”
-   Enlarged font size: “delight”  emphasises the enriching qualities of connections to others. 
-   Use of the second person pronoun “ourselves” suggests a direct address being made to the reader.
Select TWO aspects of the text and explore how it reflects notions of individual discovery.

1.   Through an analysis of the written and visual elements in ‘Text 1’ a deeper understanding of individual discovery emerges.
2.   Within the written text, Smith employs a metaphor in “love is but the discovery of ourselves in others” to suggest that a deeper understanding of personal identity emerges from the construction of strong and meaningful relationships with others – particularly our family. The intentional enlargement of the font size of the word ‘delight’ helps the responder discover the extent to which strong relationships can have far reaching and transformative impacts on individual identity.
3.   Within the visual text, salience as well as the positioning of the father in the background and the children in close proximity in the foreground, reinforce the fact that personal contentment can be derived from strong connections to others. The figures’ facial expressions of joy, reinforce this.
4.   Thus, it is clear that ‘Text 1’ helps engender a more articulate understanding of how moments of wonder can be derived from self-discovery through our relationships.

Text 2 – Migrant Woman on a Melbourne Tram, Jennifer Straus (poem).
•   Rubric Links: discovery of new worlds, physical discovery, confronted within this new environment
•   Caesura
•   The use of parenthesis in stanza 3 has the effect of creating an aside.

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #4252 on: December 07, 2018, 01:37:50 pm »
+1
Hey,
I'm currently writing an essay on 1984 for the common module and find myself constantly referring to the "human experience" and "collective" and "individual", I would LOVE some help with pinpointing some specific human qualities and emotions that reflect Winston's experience !! Thanks in advance :)
Hey!
So with this, its important to think about how orwell describes winstons feelings towards things throughout the book.
Some specific ones could be:
Rebellion-Winston rebels against big brother
Hopelessness and dispair-he realises how futile his cause is
love-he loves julia
rejuvination-through his meeting with o brian, his reading of the manifesto and his discovery of julia's rebellion rejuvinates winston and gives him hope\

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need any more!  :)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #4253 on: January 09, 2019, 02:21:06 pm »
Help!!
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4254 on: January 09, 2019, 07:06:49 pm »

henrychapman

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4255 on: January 10, 2019, 12:38:03 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

I think a great thesis can be a combination of reading the text/s firstly (sounds obvious but seriously important), an understanding of the themes prevalent throughout the texts and then also, critical/academic readings. I used to scan over several of these and I would just pick maybe two-three word quotes that I understood that I could integrate into a thesis and explore more prominently throughout my essay.
Where people can become unstuck: DO NOT use something from a critical reading if you do not understand it, even if it sounds complex and "smart." English markers will be able to pick up immediately that you do not understand what the word/phrase means (trust me it happened to me at the start of year 12 and backfired).
And that's the planning stage. It really comes down to how well you address the question on the day. You could have this awesome thesis memorised word for word however if it does not link to the question, then you need to figure out a way to change it. The best students are the ones that have done thorough preparation and understand the text holistically and whilst they may have one particular area super prepared they also have other material to call on in case theres a curveball.
So in short:
- do lots of reading (the text and other critical readings)
- do something that is complex but makes sense (i.e has a layer or two to it and is interesting)
- ADAPT on the day !
HSC 2018
English Advanced: 90
Economics: 92
Legal Studies: 92
Modern History: 91
Studies of Religion II: 88
History Extension: 41
ATAR: 96.60

2019: B. Commerce/Laws @ UNSW
I offer tutoring in those top 4 subjects above, at a very reasonable price. Have numerous resources as well. Send me a message for more info :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4256 on: January 10, 2019, 12:46:37 pm »
+1
Hi!
I attended one of Emily Tyrrell's lectures for Advanced English and one of the theses she had was: "The tension between the individual and the community at large is better understood through its depiction in text". What does this thesis want us to address particularly the "depiction in text" bit?
Many thanks!!

Hey, Cherre Ho!

Was this a thesis or an essay question because this is something I might need you to clarify? From what I understand, if this was a thesis for an essay, it aims to explore how tense individual and community relationships are depicted in texts. Although I've just reworded it for now, I believe it should be addressing how personal and collective motivations, values and actions may be cause strained relationships and the best way this can be understood is through the "depiction in text." This would refer to the way it has been represented (depicted in a particular way) as a phenomenon in the human experience through the use of language conventions, forms and features. Perhaps Emily could confirm what she meant since I wasn't at the lecture but this is what I gathered from it  :)

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #4257 on: January 10, 2019, 06:40:21 pm »
+1
Hello everybody,
Recently attended Emily's lecture for advanced english. It was GREAT.
Right now, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm not too sure how to approach studying for the common module.
My prescribed text is Rosemary Dobson's poetry (7 poems in total). How do I study these poems and gain a full understanding of them? I have tried to write essays but I felt as if I was falling short, and needed to analyse these poems in depth. My question is: What is your approach for analysing poems? I wasted the entire day trying to fit the poems into the syllabus, but to no result.
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4258 on: January 10, 2019, 07:31:05 pm »
+2
Hello everybody,
Right now, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm not too sure how to approach studying for the common module.
My prescribed text is Rosemary Dobson's poetry (7 poems in total). How do I study these poems and gain a full understanding of them? I have tried to write essays but I felt as if I was falling short, and needed to analyse these poems in depth. My question is: What is your approach for analysing poems? I wasted the entire day trying to fit the poems into the syllabus, but to no result.

Hello! So glad you enjoyed Em's lecture today! ;D

I would start by identifying the techniques/quotes that stand out in the poem. Spot where the author has done something deliberately technical, or dramatic, or whatever. Once you have those, try and figure out why they did them. What were they trying to show? Then try and group them into big over-arching themes or categories, which should hopefully be able to be tied to the rubric/syllabus in some way. I know you had some trouble initially, but once you are considering the 'WHY' instead of the 'WHAT' it might be easier to link ;D

You don't need to be able to write an essay on each poem. Basically, you want a decent amount of knowledge on each that can summate to a killer, well rounded essay. Even being able to write a really good paragraph on each poem, explaining how it represents something about the human experience, would be an amazing position to be in ;D

Good luck! And be sure to stop in if you need help analysing the poems ;D

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4259 on: January 11, 2019, 05:51:57 pm »
+2
Hello everybody,

Hey, r1ckworthy!

I agree with Jamon's advice for how you should approach the poems. I did poetry for one of my modules as well during the HSC and I approached it basically like that. In terms of gaining a fuller understanding of them, I would suggest arranging your ideas into tables and/or Venn diagrams. See if you can identify where themes may overlap across poems and where similarities and differences manifest. This can enable you to synthesise your ideas and gain a more holistic overview of Dobson's poetry. If you are struggling to analyse them in-depth, this could be a good starting point to put all your thoughts in one place and then organise them into potential essay arguments. Once you have arranged all your ideas, you will find that linking them to the syllabus will be easier  8)

Another suggestion I could offer would be to read the poems aloud a few times. Poetry is a more of a stimulative, listening experience and you might be able to pick up a few techniques that were not as obviously presented on the page. Dobson's voice and construction of persona is crucial to her writing. Being able to truly realise that comes with reading the poem. Techniques such as rhythm, assonance and meter will also be more apparent if you hear it.

Hope that helps! Rather than jumping straight into writing essays, try to figure out the significance of the poems and the aspects of the human experience represented in them. You will have a better foundation to work with that way  ;D As Jamon said, feel free to ask if you need any help with analysing the poems  :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 06:30:40 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music