Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:08:50 pm

Author Topic: comedy elective  (Read 5148 times)  Share 

Ahbelle

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
comedy elective
« on: August 09, 2016, 04:30:49 pm »
Hi,
is anyone else studying the comedy elective?

melprocrastinator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
Re: comedy elective
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 07:36:52 pm »
I am! how are you going??

Ahbelle

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 06:50:06 am »
alright, but comedy creative writing is rough. hbu?

melprocrastinator

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 08:31:02 am »
Umm  i dont know how im going, i have biology on the same day, so im struggling to "memorise" my essay and short story. Yeah for sure, creative is tough, i think only 3 girls got an A in my class for their creative. I know satirical pieces have the potential to do REALLLYYY well, but they can be complicated. My teachers also like un-expected twists at the end :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 09:45:46 am »
How many people are in each of your classes?
What are your texts? :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

melprocrastinator

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 09:58:17 am »
How many people are in each of your classes?
What are your texts? :)

Heyy, i know there are 11 girl in my extension class, including me. Our prescribed texts for comedy are:
The School for Scandal- Richard Sheridan
The Eyre Affair- Jasper Fforde
Blackadder- Episodes 1-4

I dont know if its the same for every module, but we are also required to have at least two related materials

sydneyg

• Adventurer
  • School: St Paul's Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 10:47:22 am »
Heyy, i know there are 11 girl in my extension class, including me. Our prescribed texts for comedy are:
The School for Scandal- Richard Sheridan
The Eyre Affair- Jasper Fforde
Blackadder- Episodes 1-4

I dont know if its the same for every module, but we are also required to have at least two related materials

I'm doing the same texts! I'm not sure if you have any related texts but my teacher encouraged us to try and find a related that isn't a British text like all of the prescribed are. It could be really useful to find an Asian text or even from somewhere else in Europe to display different contexts and values towards comedy.

melprocrastinator

• Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 11:33:30 am »
that sounds like a good idea, i would try to find two, because last year they asked for two in both the HSC and Trials (well at least at my school).
Satiracal pieces i find to be the easiest to discuss, as they are naturally funny because of the exageration and are filled with techniques.
How long is your essay? Or does anyone know how long it should be?

sydneyg

• Adventurer
  • School: St Paul's Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 11:48:54 am »
I think the general consensus is 1000 words, at least mine is around 1000 words or 4 or 5 pages in other words depending on how small my writing becomes :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 02:48:27 pm »
that sounds like a good idea, i would try to find two, because last year they asked for two in both the HSC and Trials (well at least at my school).
Satiracal pieces i find to be the easiest to discuss, as they are naturally funny because of the exageration and are filled with techniques.
How long is your essay? Or does anyone know how long it should be?

My essay was about 1600 words for Extension! My creative was shorter. This is the second cohort of Comedy, right? It didn't exist before, or did it?

Are you enjoying comedy? I don't know enough about it as a module and I'd love to know more!

melprocrastinator

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 03:28:54 pm »
My essay was about 1600 words for Extension! My creative was shorter. This is the second cohort of Comedy, right? It didn't exist before, or did it?

Are you enjoying comedy? I don't know enough about it as a module and I'd love to know more!

Yes we are only the second year to have done it! My school did it last year as well.
I have been enjoying comedy, im not going to lie, the creative had me stumped for AGES because it has to be funny, but not too stupid or cheesy. It has to show an aspect about humanity/human nature but still be humorous.
Personally when i write my essay, i imply that the language technique allows it to be funny, or "creates the humour" then expand upon it like i would in a normal essay.
I think comedy is really about how humour can force society to reflect on themselves, create a way for them to overcome their problems, or shed light to topics and aspects that are normally ignored. Its much more than that as well, but i think its about how comedy can teach :)
My favourite prescribed text is "School for Scandal" because its FILLED with comedic techniques, and its clearly a satire on human nature. The characters are ridiculous
Blackadder can be taken lots of ways, though i find it a little harder than school for scandal.
The Eyre affair, incopartes 'Jane Eyre' into its plot line, and it is hard to find the comedic aspects within it, as it lends itself to more of a detction fiction. But it is still a good novel to write about due to the strong characters and all the literauture refrences through the book!
I obviously dont know how comedy compares to the other modules, but it is really enjoyable in class, and its always fun to laugh at other people, even if it is satiracl, so we are actually laughing at ourselves...

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 03:34:20 pm »
Yes we are only the second year to have done it! My school did it last year as well.
I have been enjoying comedy, im not going to lie, the creative had me stumped for AGES because it has to be funny, but not too stupid or cheesy. It has to show an aspect about humanity/human nature but still be humorous.
Personally when i write my essay, i imply that the language technique allows it to be funny, or "creates the humour" then expand upon it like i would in a normal essay.
I think comedy is really about how humour can force society to reflect on themselves, create a way for them to overcome their problems, or shed light to topics and aspects that are normally ignored. Its much more than that as well, but i think its about how comedy can teach :)
My favourite prescribed text is "School for Scandal" because its FILLED with comedic techniques, and its clearly a satire on human nature. The characters are ridiculous
Blackadder can be taken lots of ways, though i find it a little harder than school for scandal.
The Eyre affair, incopartes 'Jane Eyre' into its plot line, and it is hard to find the comedic aspects within it, as it lends itself to more of a detction fiction. But it is still a good novel to write about due to the strong characters and all the literauture refrences through the book!
I obviously dont know how comedy compares to the other modules, but it is really enjoyable in class, and its always fun to laugh at other people, even if it is satiracl, so we are actually laughing at ourselves...

That's amazing! I'm sooo not funny so creating a funny creative would have me stumped too. I had a slightly humorous ending to my own creative and I applaud myself to this day - I can't imagine trying to make the entire thing comedic! But I definitely think there's more to comedy than being funny, as you said. I think comedians, especially stand up comedians, are actually incredibly smart people because they can draw on so many things with so many meanings and make whatever it is that is so hilarious, relatable or familiar! I'm really glad to hear you're enjoying comedy! There's not a lot of resources out there, so by all means keep posting here and help each other out, and then at the end of the year, uploading any resources or essays you have would make a huge difference to the next generation of comedic students :)

Is your trial tomorrow?

melprocrastinator

• Forum Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 04:28:45 pm »
That's amazing! I'm sooo not funny so creating a funny creative would have me stumped too. I had a slightly humorous ending to my own creative and I applaud myself to this day - I can't imagine trying to make the entire thing comedic! But I definitely think there's more to comedy than being funny, as you said. I think comedians, especially stand up comedians, are actually incredibly smart people because they can draw on so many things with so many meanings and make whatever it is that is so hilarious, relatable or familiar! I'm really glad to hear you're enjoying comedy! There's not a lot of resources out there, so by all means keep posting here and help each other out, and then at the end of the year, uploading any resources or essays you have would make a huge difference to the next generation of comedic students :)

Yeah there arent that many comedy resources, so ill be sure to post what i have at the end of the year
My teacher says she finds comedy a little difficult, so she might switch to romanticism  (i think thats what its called) next year. Shes not sure yet.
YES my trials are tomorrow, id be ok, if i didnt have biology as well. There is so much to know, so im a little scared about having them together. Any last minute tips for extension???

Is your trial tomorrow?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 06:00:01 pm by elysepopplewell »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 06:02:07 pm »
+1
Yeah there arent that many comedy resources, so ill be sure to post what i have at the end of the year
My teacher says she finds comedy a little difficult, so she might switch to romanticism  (i think thats what its called) next year. Shes not sure yet.
YES my trials are tomorrow, id be ok, if i didnt have biology as well. There is so much to know, so im a little scared about having them together. Any last minute tips for extension???

Is your trial tomorrow?
Thankfully my HSC finished last year so no trial for me tomorrow! There would be plenty more resources for romanticism, but this is cool nonetheless! I'm glad to hear about your resources!

Stay calm in the exam when you see the prompts/questions/stimulus. It can be completely frightening in Extension! use your reading time well to plan out exactly how you will respond to the essay or creative, and think of both of them during the reading time. Don't, for example, spend all of your reading time on the essay and then have a panic when you finish the essay and have to start on the creative, without yet having thought about it!

Keep your eye on the clock :)

selinayinz

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 05:10:10 pm »
Comedy seems like a really fun module! I did satire in yr 11 and i think it wouldve been perfect to lead into comedy, however we are doing scifi now instead