Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:26:41 am

Author Topic: Appealing Marks  (Read 4425 times)

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
Appealing Marks
« on: June 29, 2017, 09:00:14 pm »
I've never been one for appealing marks but after a few unjust results (IMO) this term I have decided that I need to formally appeal them. I was wondering if anyone had any 'appealing' tips from previous experiences.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Appealing Marks
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 12:05:54 am »
+1
I've never been one for appealing marks but after a few unjust results (IMO) this term I have decided that I need to formally appeal them. I was wondering if anyone had any 'appealing' tips from previous experiences.

Hey!! I've never done it, I've seen it done, a few things I'd suggest:

- Make sure you've spoken to the marker about the issue first. There could be reasoning behind their decision you've not considered, or it might give you a better understanding of the discrepancy. You might still decide to appeal, you might not, heck they might even change it for you. But talking to the marker or your teacher first is just a good first course of action.
- If you do appeal, be upfront and non confrontational (it will probably be a coordinator or a VP or something similar you appeal to). Explain the issue with your mark clearly, and don't demand it be increased. Ask for it to be reviewed by another party, and be prepared to explain why you think it deserves that review. This is where talking to the teacher first is important, because it shows that you aren't just gunning for more marks. You've made an attempt to understand where the mark comes from, and you still feel like it needs a review.
- Be assertive, but not rude. Teachers will expect a student challenging a mark to be confrontational, perhaps rude, there's no need for it to be that way. Be courteous, you mean no malice - You just want review and clarification, which is a fair request.

If you are polite throughout the process, you shouldn't have any trouble getting the mark reviewed or clarified. You'll either come away with a higher mark, or an understanding of why your mark isn't being increased. Try and be happy with either - Even if you would obviously prefer one of those outcomes  :)

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 08:45:53 am »

If you are polite throughout the process, you shouldn't have any trouble getting the mark reviewed or clarified. You'll either come away with a higher mark, or an understanding of why your mark isn't being increased. Try and be happy with either - Even if you would obviously prefer one of those outcomes  :)

Hey, thanks for the advice. :) My teacher stated 'would have been a 20 if you integrated the quote' which I integrated key words from the stimulus throughout my essay which anyone could have seen. So I was wondering if there is any unspoken rule about integration? Do you have explicitly say'reflected in the quote provided?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 12:02:49 pm »
Hey, thanks for the advice. :) My teacher stated 'would have been a 20 if you integrated the quote' which I integrated key words from the stimulus throughout my essay which anyone could have seen. So I was wondering if there is any unspoken rule about integration? Do you have explicitly say'reflected in the quote provided?

Hmm, I personally don't believe that is a requirement. My preferred approach is to integrate "key words from the stimulus throughout my essay," but with quote marks, like I just did there :) did you do this? Or did you just write the words within your own? :)

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 12:35:42 pm »
Hmm, I personally don't believe that is a requirement. My preferred approach is to integrate "key words from the stimulus throughout my essay," but with quote marks, like I just did there :) did you do this? Or did you just write the words within your own? :)

I didn't put the stimulus in quotation marks because the question doesn't actually ask to 'use the quote provided' (The criteria did though) and sometimes I would use synonyms for words or phrases that I felt needed improving or could be expressed better. I'll give you my introduction where she said 'Stimulus quote?' straight after.

Here is the stimulus: 'I call on religious communities, religious leaders and people of faith to confront hostility… to reaffirm our common humanity, and to pave the way for greater tolerance and solidarity among all groups… Together, we can realise the enormous potential of religions to foster true peace.
The question: Outline how peace is expressed through the sacred texts of TWO religious traditions and demonstrate how this provides guidance for the attainment of world peace.

My introduction (as submitted): The attainment of world peace demands religious traditions coincide in the confrontation of hostility in order to achieve a global state of solidarity. World Peace requires a unified sense of wellbeing and freedom from conflict, fear, and injustice. However, world peace can only be achieved if an individual acquires inner peace; relating to the individual’s tranquillity and their connection with God. These notions are reflected throughout the Bhagavad Gita and the New Testament of the Bible as they reiterate the importance of solidarity and foster the adherent in connecting to their beliefs leading to an inner peace which inevitably evokes the entrenchment of world peace. 

As you can see the quote is definitely a prominent feature and with a small word count you need to avoid being superfluous (ie me stating 'reflected in the quote provided' at the end of my intro.) My paragraph's continue in this fashion and my teacher put me in -No reference to the quote provided.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 01:58:01 pm »
+1
Hmm, look I'm going to be brutally honest - I agree with your teacher. I don't think there is adequate reference there. You've used a few key words, confrontation of hostility, solidarity, etc - But like, those are buzzwords. They don't necessarily have to come from that quote. You've used ideas that also happen to appear in the quote, but you've not referenced it.

Now the criteria and the question not quite syncing up is another, separate issue and that could be worth discussing with your teacher also! But my personal opinion would be that, no, you didn't reference the quote you were given. At least not from the introduction you've shown me :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:00:04 pm by jamonwindeyer »

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 05:49:19 pm »
Hmm, look I'm going to be brutally honest - I agree with your teacher. I don't think there is adequate reference there. You've used a few key words, confrontation of hostility, solidarity, etc - But like, those are buzzwords. They don't necessarily have to come from that quote. You've used ideas that also happen to appear in the quote, but you've not referenced it.

I'm not trying to be difficult. However, my teacher said I made NO reference to the quote. Reference is defined as 'the action of mentioning or alluding to something.' In my paragraphs, I, therefore, assumed they wanted me to 'allude' to the quote for a 'skilful' integration. For example, I went on to say in my first paragraph: Jesus constantly endeavoured to promote solidarity and foster greater tolerance reflected in ‘For Christ Jesus is our peace, who has made us both one, and has broken down the dividing wall of hostility.’ You see this quote was taken from the 2014 paper but had a different question including 'With reference to the above statement...'  and my response would have been completely different if it was that question which is why I'm annoyed as I feel like I was actually answering the given question with implicit integration throughout. Anyway, my teacher said she would give my essay to the marker and ask for clarification on my concerns. I do not want to make the same mistake in the trial or HSC so are you basically saying that I need to take exact phrases and put them in quotation marks to properly reference?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:55:20 pm by jamonwindeyer »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 08:26:12 pm »
I'm not trying to be difficult. However, my teacher said I made NO reference to the quote. Reference is defined as 'the action of mentioning or alluding to something.' In my paragraphs, I, therefore, assumed they wanted me to 'allude' to the quote for a 'skilful' integration. For example, I went on to say in my first paragraph: Jesus constantly endeavoured to promote solidarity and foster greater tolerance reflected in ‘For Christ Jesus is our peace, who has made us both one, and has broken down the dividing wall of hostility.’ You see this quote was taken from the 2014 paper but had a different question including 'With reference to the above statement...'  and my response would have been completely different if it was that question which is why I'm annoyed as I feel like I was actually answering the given question with implicit integration throughout. Anyway, my teacher said she would give my essay to the marker and ask for clarification on my concerns. I do not want to make the same mistake in the trial or HSC so are you basically saying that I need to take exact phrases and put them in quotation marks to properly reference?

No no it is okay! Good to get these things ironed out ;D

So, I see where you are coming from. I do. And yes, if you are going by the definition of the word, I suppose you have, but I think that is semantics. Essentially, reading your introduction, there is no direct indication of the quote you were given. Yes, there are allusions and similar ideas, you are right, but when asked to reference you definitely want more than that. You are playing with fire if you try and tip toe the line - You want to be obvious, and yep, the best way to do that is with direct quotation (or equivalent) :)

I think the fact that the question didn't say "with reference to the quote" is a bit off, mind you, since the quote was provided. I'd expect it to demand that specifically.

Fingers crossed you can get a few marks extra with the appeal! For the HSC, use direct quotes - Don't give them a reason to doubt you! :)

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 01:38:11 am »
I didn't put the stimulus in quotation marks because the question doesn't actually ask to 'use the quote provided' (The criteria did though) and sometimes I would use synonyms for words or phrases that I felt needed improving or could be expressed better. I'll give you my introduction where she said 'Stimulus quote?' straight after.

Here is the stimulus: 'I call on religious communities, religious leaders and people of faith to confront hostility… to reaffirm our common humanity, and to pave the way for greater tolerance and solidarity among all groups… Together, we can realise the enormous potential of religions to foster true peace.
The question: Outline how peace is expressed through the sacred texts of TWO religious traditions and demonstrate how this provides guidance for the attainment of world peace.

My introduction (as submitted): The attainment of world peace demands religious traditions coincide in the confrontation of hostility in order to achieve a global state of solidarity. World Peace requires a unified sense of wellbeing and freedom from conflict, fear, and injustice. However, world peace can only be achieved if an individual acquires inner peace; relating to the individual’s tranquillity and their connection with God. These notions are reflected throughout the Bhagavad Gita and the New Testament of the Bible as they reiterate the importance of solidarity and foster the adherent in connecting to their beliefs leading to an inner peace which inevitably evokes the entrenchment of world peace. 

As you can see the quote is definitely a prominent feature and with a small word count you need to avoid being superfluous (ie me stating 'reflected in the quote provided' at the end of my intro.) My paragraph's continue in this fashion and my teacher put me in -No reference to the quote provided.

I did SOR HSC last year you definitely need to put the stimulus in quotation marks wherever you use it. Just use this as a learning experience. SOR isn't english where in english you don't put it in quotations.

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 08:45:15 am »
Quote from: 12070

Where is this from?? It is really bugging me - I did this exact same question when I did SOR II last year - but I just can't remember where it is from??
Also, SOR is very strict in the quotes area; it is a humanities subject so it has to be. Explicitly state your quotes always. eg The above stimulus says "we are to confront hostility and confirm our common humanity.. to foster true peace"

• Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 03:18:27 pm »
+1
No no it is okay! Good to get these things ironed out ;D

Fingers crossed you can get a few marks extra with the appeal! For the HSC, use direct quotes - Don't give them a reason to doubt you! :)

I did SOR HSC last year you definitely need to put the stimulus in quotation marks wherever you use it. Just use this as a learning experience. SOR isn't english where in english you don't put it in quotations.

Where is this from?? It is really bugging me - I did this exact same question when I did SOR II last year - but I just can't remember where it is from??
Also, SOR is very strict in the quotes area; it is a humanities subject so it has to be. Explicitly state your quotes always. eg The above stimulus says "we are to confront hostility and confirm our common humanity.. to foster true peace"

Hey, so I just wanted to let you know that I ended up getting 20/20 ;D but I do feel really lucky now and will definitely 'reference' ;) the stimulus in the trial and HSC. Also the quote is from the 2014 HSC

Thanks again  :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 12:54:34 am »
Hey, so I just wanted to let you know that I ended up getting 20/20 ;D but I do feel really lucky now and will definitely 'reference' ;) the stimulus in the trial and HSC. Also the quote is from the 2014 HSC

Thanks again  :)

YES! Ah, so good to hear, was a real bummer that you were losing marks on such a small technicality - Well done! Best possible scenario, lesson learned and still full marks ;D