Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:43:42 pm

Author Topic: Need Urgent Help!  (Read 786 times)

SS1314

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +18
Need Urgent Help!
« on: July 19, 2019, 05:14:16 pm »
+1
Hello! I am in a bit of a dilemma right now and I need help. So I am currently in year 10 and I am doing 2 VCE subjects (Methods & Bio) and doing one LOTE (VSL). So originally, I will have completed 2 VCE subjects in year 11 and would have had 4 VCE subjects in year 12. But there is a problem! My school's policy states that I must complete 4 VCE subjects in year 12 AT school (remember one of them is a LOTE). I asked the VCE head and she said there is no way around this policy. Now I have a few options:

1. I can do Biology 3/4 in year 12 (so I will not do it in year 11 and will forget most of the content), do the LOTE, Methods in year 11 and 3 other subjects in year 12

2. I can drop my LOTE (really don't want to do this since I have massive potential in the subject) in exchange for another subject at school (probably physics)

3. I can do 7 subjects in total (6 at school, 1 outside of school)

Which option is the best?

These are my VCE subjects that I was initially planning to do:

English
Methods (advanced placement)
Chemistry
Biology (advanced placement)
Further Maths
LOTE

Can anyone devise any other options in my circumstances? It is such a bummer I have to be in this situation
2021: English, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Physics [50]

Offering 2022 head start classes (PM for details)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Need Urgent Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 05:27:22 pm »
+4
Can anyone devise any other options in my circumstances? It is such a bummer I have to be in this situation

It sounds like there isn't really a way around the policy, but it's certainly good that you've assessed your other options. I'll comment on each of them with my own thoughts, but you might like to do something similar. Making a pros and cons list for each option over the weekend and talking it out with someone might help.

1. I can do Biology 3/4 in year 12 (so I will not do it in year 11 and will forget most of the content), do the LOTE, Methods in year 11 and 3 other subjects in year 12

To be fair, a lot of the 3/4 content does not rely on the 1/2 content, so this is not a terrible option. You may also be able to go to a 1/2 bio revision lecture at the end of Year 11 so that you bring the content back to the forefront of your mind. There are also the 1/2 bio ATARNotes powerpoints (and countless other sets of notes) which you could use to remind yourself of the key concepts. However, this may be time-consuming and mean that you end up doing a little worse on bio than you would otherwise, depending on how you manage your time.

2. I can drop my LOTE (really don't want to do this since I have massive potential in the subject) in exchange for another subject at school (probably physics)

Physics is a cool subject, but is it really worth dropping your LOTE for? If you are passionate about the language. I say do it anyway! (This is probably your worst option from my perspective, but if there are benefits that you can see, it may be the right decision for you.)

I can do 7 subjects in total (6 at school, 1 outside of school)

This is also not a bad option. Even the seventh subject slightly boosts your ATAR. My current plan will have me finish with seven subjects, possibly even doing 6 in Year 12.) I guess that it may mean that your marks are lower for others if you find that you are needing to spread yourself too thin, which could negatively impact on your studies. You may also feel more stressed about school because of it. On the other hand, you may feel really motivated because you are doing the subjects you enjoy!

Which option is the best?

Really, only you can make that decision. Best of luck!!

brothanathan

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 05:38:40 pm »
+2
Do Methods 3/4 in Year 11 and then Bio 3/4 in Year 12. My reasoning for this suggestion is that Methods requires and expects you to have foundational maths knowledge so I guess forgetting some of the basics can cause more dilemmas. For Biology, there is no prereq or expected knowledge for 3/4. I think you can catch up kind of easily over the summer.

SS1314

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 08:02:57 am »
+1
Do Methods 3/4 in Year 11 and then Bio 3/4 in Year 12. My reasoning for this suggestion is that Methods requires and expects you to have foundational maths knowledge so I guess forgetting some of the basics can cause more dilemmas. For Biology, there is no prereq or expected knowledge for 3/4. I think you can catch up kind of easily over the summer.

I was thinking the same. Thank you for the reply
2021: English, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Physics [50]

Offering 2022 head start classes (PM for details)