Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:12:07 am

Author Topic: Synonyms  (Read 1871 times)  Share 

MAGGOT

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Synonyms
« on: March 14, 2018, 07:16:39 pm »
Hello everyone, I have an english analytical hurdle task for my novel and i'm having trouble finding synonyms for phrases like flawed characters and hardship that suit an analytical

Thanks.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Synonyms
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 04:38:55 pm »
Hello everyone, I have an english analytical hurdle task for my novel and i'm having trouble finding synonyms for phrases like flawed characters and hardship that suit an analytical

Thanks.

Hi,

could you clarify what you mean by flawed characters? Is this in relation to non-standard orthography?
similarly, in what sense are you wanting use use hardship (or a synonym thereof)?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 11:29:27 am »

Thanks.

Would you be able to provide more context? I think the nature of synonyms makes them difficult to suggest without an understanding of what they're actually describing (as words are so nuanced in meaning!).

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

MAGGOT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 10:04:18 am »
Flawed characters in terms of physically or mentally flawed and hardships in terms of an individual having to face obstacles or issues in their life

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 02:25:49 pm »
+2
Flawed characters in terms of physically or mentally flawed and hardships in terms of an individual having to face obstacles or issues in their life
I think you got the wrong subject here. This is the English Language thread, not the English (mainstream) or Literature thread, which is probably why people are confused, besides the nuances in the words.

The word you're looking for is probably "adversity" or "conflict" for hardships the characters encountered. This may help for flawed characters, which reminds me of "troubled characters" and "conflicted personality", although I know that's not quite what you're looking for. It would depend for the characters' flaws and how mild/ severe they are. It could vary from "misguided" to outright "mentally psychotic".     
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 02:28:25 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

MAGGOT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 06:41:25 pm »
I think you got the wrong subject here. This is the English Language thread, not the English (mainstream) or Literature thread, which is probably why people are confused, besides the nuances in the words.

The word you're looking for is probably "adversity" or "conflict" for hardships the characters encountered. This may help for flawed characters, which reminds me of "troubled characters" and "conflicted personality", although I know that's not quite what you're looking for. It would depend for the characters' flaws and how mild/ severe they are. It could vary from "misguided" to outright "mentally psychotic".   

My bad and cheers

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 03:57:35 pm »
One word: ‘vicissitudes’

you’re welcome :D
VCE [ATAR: 99.25]: Physics 1/2, English 1/2, EngLang,Methods, Spesh, Accounting, Chem, German

2018-2021: Bachelor Of Commerce @ University of Melbourne
VCE English Language: A+ Short Answer Guide[pm for extra guidance!]