Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 06:22:00 pm

Author Topic: General music thread.  (Read 8788 times)  Share 

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
General music thread.
« on: July 30, 2017, 11:54:10 pm »
+7
A thread for all general music discussion.
Rui wanted a general music thread, well here's one q:
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: General music thread.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 11:56:45 pm »
+6
Rui wanted a general music thread, well here's one q:
Wow.
I absolutely love Japanese artists. I wish I could understand Japanese but I'm too lazy to learn.

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 11:59:21 pm »
+4

THis is amazing. This guy has the highest voice in the world.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 12:02:44 am »
+8
I love French music for when I don't really want to pay attention to the words of the song. It's great if I want to do listen to music while study, because I love the background noise/tunes, without having to concentrate on something that isn't the study I have to do. :)

This week, I'm loving the song "No One's Gonna Love You" by Band of Horses.

How good is music though? So good <3

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 12:07:26 am »
+5
Wow.
I absolutely love Japanese artists. I wish I could understand Japanese but I'm too lazy to learn.
I quite like Japanese music, but all I know in Japanese is how to count to 10 :P

THis is amazing. This guy has the highest voice in the world.
Trust you to put a Vitas song on ::)

I love French music for when I don't really want to pay attention to the words of the song. It's great if I want to do listen to music while study, because I love the background noise/tunes, without having to concentrate on something that isn't the study I have to do. :)

This week, I'm loving the song "No One's Gonna Love You" by Band of Horses.

How good is music though? So good <3

OMG yes <3

(I like this one- English version provided)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 12:11:40 am »
+5
Ooh, we've been needing a general music threads for a while!

Definitely not the thing for most people, but this is one of my favourite bands. Now, if you listen for the first 35 seconds or so, note how well the frontman -- Mikael Åkerfeldt -- switches from clean singing to growling. That's insanely hard to do. Also, this is really high quality growling, if anyone can tell haha :D

Edit: Going to post one more video, but I'll just link it to avoid lagging the place up, haha. Listen to this from 0:40 for some sik Melbourne metal violin work. If anyone is also interested in what good growling is meant to sound like, it'll start at 3:30. The violinist does the clean singing.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:22:00 am by Calejoke »
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 12:30:53 am »
+5

Here's a little diddy I studied for year 12. Unfortunately wasn't good enough to learn by ear - I actually got in contact with Baudin to ask for music for this, but he didn't want to give me anything because it would be too hard for him to actually write out. I later tried to learn another piece by him, which I've chucked below, but unfortunately I couldn't practice regularly enough to build up my tapping strength. I actually got it working semi-well for a while, but I'm just too lazy to actually practice. >.<

Am happy to spread around more of these weird solo bassists if people are interested. :P

As for things that I actually listen to, have some Crystalyne:

Now, if you listen for the first 35 seconds or so, note how well the frontman -- Mikael Åkerfeldt -- switches from clean singing to growling.

Holy shit.
That's live.
Da fuq, man. D:

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 12:38:29 am »
+4

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 12:41:36 am »
+4
Also, on the topic of Japanese tunes:

Absolutely amazing track from possibly the best movie of all time, Your Name (Kimi no na wa). Idc what your opinion on anime in general is, do yourself a favour and GO WATCH IT.

Yisssss love me some 30 Seconds to Mars.

Calebark

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 12:47:33 am »
+4

Here's a little diddy I studied for year 12. Unfortunately wasn't good enough to learn by ear - I actually got in contact with Baudin to ask for music for this, but he didn't want to give me anything because it would be too hard for him to actually write out. I later tried to learn another piece by him, which I've chucked below, but unfortunately I couldn't practice regularly enough to build up my tapping strength. I actually got it working semi-well for a while, but I'm just too lazy to actually practice. >.<

Am happy to spread around more of these weird solo bassists if people are interested. :P

Holy shit.
That's live.
Da fuq, man. D:

Damnnnn, that bassist is awesome! Definitely feel free to share more :D

No video and very different type of metal (clean singing too), but would recommend trying this:
At least from 0:44--1:05. There's this high note at the minute mark that's just so pleasing to my ears

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 12:49:58 am »
+5
Daft punk for life, literally listen to them everyday.  ;D
One of my favourite and probably one of their most influential songs is 'Giorgio by Moroder', very interesting how in this song they morph an autobiographical story into a song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhl-Cs1-sG4

2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

Calebark

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 12:55:34 am »
+5
Wait wait wait, I've got one more, then I'll stop because I'm just going to end up spamming the thread.

This is just a collection of bits-and-pieces from my favourite singer -- Hansi Kürsch. Lots of different pitches and vocal textures.

Daft punk for life, literally listen to them everyday.  ;D
Your DP kinda gave it away :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:57:48 am by Calejoke »

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 01:26:00 am »
+5
Damnnnn, that bassist is awesome! Definitely feel free to share more :D

Alright. 8) But in the interest of variety, here's a bunch of different ones that I studied and why each of them are cool from a solo bass perspective (also URLs because I've got a few):

Michael Manring is particularly impressive, because what he's playing is actually known as a "hyperbass". It's specifically designed so that you can change the tuning on the fly - the main limitation being that it has to be a fretless instrument, and so is immediately harder to play.  You also risk breaking a string mid-song much more than you usually would, but still not an issue on a bass. Granted, Helios is pretty fucking intense, so definitely a risk there.

Studio version with accompaniment because I couldn't find a good solo version. :'( But, this song is usually solo-bass. Pastorius is basically one of the fathers of jazz bass, and has a lot of really cool solo-stuff, but during a time when solo bass just wasn't a thing, which is why a lot of these really good solo songs are often still done with accompaniment.

Victor Wooten here invented what is commonly known as the "double slap". Basically a techinque that allows you to slap lots realllll fast. The double slap is literally the only way to play this song, it's stupidly intense and difficult, but one of the reasons Wooten was so good. He's also known to play with a loop pedal a few times to accompany himself.

Not much to say about Rob Scallon... He's a guitarist by trade, in fact in year 12 I took his song Rain (which I'll chuck below) and re-did it for an acoustic bass. But, he still pulls out some nice stuff like this.

And Rain - as I said, actually guitar song. Most importantly to note, his hand looks super busy, and anyone that's had a few lessons of guitar might notice he's actually on a super simple position. The reason his hand is so busy is actually exemplified in the end of the song - by making those quick motions he does, he's able to get a really nice staccato affect that really enhances the delay he's got on. By keeping the same position, the sustain builds and would make the song too busy, which you see at the very end.

There are of course, many more solo bassists that are excellent and perform this kind of stuff - there's another two I've found recently, but nothing too special about them other than they do multi-layered solo bass. For those who are wondering why I know all this crap - in year 12, I did music investigation instead of the stock-standard performance. Instead of learning random theory nobody cares about, the point of the unit was to develop a "focal area" based on one of the songs on the prescribed list that VCAA distributes. In performance (at least for solo), all your songs come from these lists, in investigation, it's only the one for the focal area (you can, of course, put more into your performance program, though). My song was Continuum by Jaco Pastorius, and I looked into how to play multi-layered textures (that is, more than one line. Eg, standard pop song usually has rhythm = drums, harmony = bass, melody = vocals, counter-melody/harmony = guitar) on solo bass guitar. Hence why I looked up all of these guys, as they've used various methods to get multiple layers into their solo songs. Some are dead simple like Manring and Pastorius just playing multiple notes at once, but then are the slightly cooler/complex tapping from Baudin earlier, loop pedal from Wooten (not shown), and delay pedal from Scallon.

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 06:31:52 pm »
+1
I am a big Panic! At The Disco fan  8)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 07:03:47 pm »
+4
I'm the opposite. Can speak Japanese (somewhat), but rarely listen to Japanese songs.

A short, but incomplete, list of the songs I listen to:
- Heavy by Delta Goodrem
- Lucky by Jason Mraz and Colby Colbait
- I'm Alive by Elhaida Dani
- On dirait by Amir
- The Arena by Lindsey Stirling
- Running with the Wolves by Aurora

They're super catchy, remind me of some sweet memories or they have very raw emotions in their songs. I've had people say that a lot of my songs make people want to cry, but there's actually quite a few that are rather motivating.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread