Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:56:26 pm

Author Topic: Terrified of Ext. Math  (Read 1079 times)  Share 

christinaaa

Terrified of Ext. Math
« on: March 08, 2017, 10:50:45 pm »
Hey guys,

So I just commenced the Ext math preliminary course and I'm so terrified. I understand most of the content although I find myself doing not so well in the exams... I find myself making a lot of silly mistakes.

Is there a certain way I can target this weakness of mine? (e.g. practicing more simple questions or practicing more harder questions).
Also, maths does take up a lot of time, I barely have any time to study for my other subjects which are SUPER content heavy... any time management tips for me?

hanaacdr

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: Terrified of Ext. Math
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 05:57:16 am »
+1
Hey guys,

So I just commenced the Ext math preliminary course and I'm so terrified. I understand most of the content although I find myself doing not so well in the exams... I find myself making a lot of silly mistakes.

Is there a certain way I can target this weakness of mine? (e.g. practicing more simple questions or practicing more harder questions).
Also, maths does take up a lot of time, I barely have any time to study for my other subjects which are SUPER content heavy... any time management tips for me?

Hi,
I am in year 12 in the midst of my HSC year
and i made silly mistakes in year 11, but this is the best time to work on them
WELL DONE on picking them up this early, because you are already ahead of alot of people
but 100% work on them, do past papers and questions targeting those particular questions
will definitely help!
All the best!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Terrified of Ext. Math
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 08:42:14 am »
You just started Year 11. Silly mistakes are perhaps, the most 'normal' thing for someone who's basically just started Ext 1.

And Year 11 is also the year where you start minimising these problems. Inevitably, you're going to make some silly mistakes (unless you put in so much effort to becoming state rank material). You shouldn't expect to be getting 100% that often anymore.

So what do you do? You start focusing on how you make the silly mistakes. Somewhere in the forum Jamon talks about all sorts of silly mistakes, and you should consider writing down those that are relevant to you. Then, when it comes time for preparation, keep that checklist in front of you as you do past papers, so that you know to watch out for those things. By looking at the checklist for a sufficient amount of time, you'll start memorising them off by heart a bit more. So in the exam, when you're done and it's time to check your work, run through the checklist in your head, making sure that you haven't done the same mistake again.