Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:17:07 pm

Author Topic: Best biology notes/lecture?  (Read 3715 times)  Share 

Ethereal Lights

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Best biology notes/lecture?
« on: June 23, 2017, 12:54:56 pm »
Hi,
I'm currently studying 3/4 bio and I was wondering what peoples opinions were on what the most useful biology notes and lectures are (out of all the different companies that sell them) and I also wanted an opinion on whether the connect education headstart lectures were useful or not, as well as the revision lectures, because I am going to go to the headstart one in a couple of weeks, and I wanted to know what people though of it.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Best biology notes/lecture?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 01:06:40 pm »
+3
Hi,
I'm currently studying 3/4 bio and I was wondering what peoples opinions were on what the most useful biology notes and lectures are (out of all the different companies that sell them) and I also wanted an opinion on whether the connect education headstart lectures were useful or not, as well as the revision lectures, because I am going to go to the headstart one in a couple of weeks, and I wanted to know what people though of it.

Have heard that SWOT Biology is really great 😏😏😏😏😏

In all seriousness though (the programme above is one I'm involved in, so obviously a biased view), I think it's really important to recognise the value of revision lectures for what it is. A lot of people expect, myself included when I was in year 12, that revision lectures will add an enormous amount of value to your VCE...they won't. If you haven't learned the course content in the 200 days you've spent on it in class, it's unreasonable to expect to learn the content in one day at a revision lecture. Programmes that claim to achieve that for you, frankly, are deceiving you.
Personally, I think they're useful insofar as they show you what you do and don't know, and in some respects help you organise your studying. Just don't expect them to be a coverall to rescue you at the end of the year :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 01:16:00 pm »
+1
Hi,

Dr.Perera tutoring notes are probably the most comprehensive - to a fault I might add usually containing uni biology stuff LOL but you can read through it if you know the content well enough  :P. You can either buy them off someone (can be quite costly) or attend his tutoring.

Next best is connect was pretty good in summarising everything or even ATARNotes Biology notes (Thushan). Both which I used.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 01:20:11 pm »
+1
I don't really understand why you'd pay to go to a lecture when there are wonderful lectures at ATARNotes for free! ;)

And yeah, not trying to sell AN products (I'm not at all involved in the commercial side), but like... Thushan's Bio notes are absolute gold and you wouldn't need any other notes beside a textbook. :)
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 04:52:52 pm »
+1
Hi,

For bio last year I used connect education notes and went to the aced and connect education revision lectures. The connect notes and lectures were really comprehensive and the lectures were 9 hours combined, which was very useful, although they were quite expensive. The aced lecture was cheaper, but felt really rushed as it was four hours and I didn't get much out of it. I'd recommend connect and I'm sure their headstart lectures are also great.
UAdel MBBS

rachid.kam

• Forum Regular
  • The higher you fly, the harder you fall
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 09:16:14 am »
+2
Hey!
I did Bio last year and felt that TSFX were probably the best company I know. Their lecture ran for 9 hours and their notes were just amazing, and the teachers as well like Ms Anstee and Mr MacDonnell explained so many concepts in the most detailed way. Would definitely recommend them. Other than that, Connect are also a great company. One of the connect lecturers came over to my school every saturday for tutoring sessions. He was particularly useful in highlighting many tips and strategies needed to maximise exam performance.
2016:
Biology [41]
2017:
Texts and Traditions [] | Physics [lool] | Chemistry [46] | Methods [looool] | English[38]
Atar: 92
Monash University: Bachelor of Biomed 2018-2020

Texts and Traditions: The path toward a 40+
100 Days until the VCE Chem Exam: STRATEGY

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 09:24:18 am »
I can personally vouch for the knowledge and communication of both of ATAR Notes' Head Biology lecturers. :)

https://www.eventbrite.com.au/o/atar-notes-vce-lectures-7836154781

And hey - these lectures are free! ;D

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 10:46:51 am »
Hey Sine,

Would you have Dr Perera's details? A phone number or email address? I was hoping to ask him for bio tutoring in October or November.

Also, would you know where he lives?

Thanks!
I'm sorry I don't have his details currently (overseas right now) - details are usually obtained through word of mouth and IIRC he has his phone number on the last page of the notes LOL. If i do find his details i'll chuck you a PM.

Yup if I was you I would contact him as soon as possible - his classes get packed quickly and are sometimes overfilled aha.

Janna

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 02:47:01 pm »
+1
I went to TSFX lectures and all I got out of it was paper notes with heaps and heaps of unnecessary information (bio is content heavy enough already) and a couple hundred dollars subtracted from my bank account.

Monkeymafia

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 09:02:46 pm »

I'm sorry I don't have his details currently (overseas right now) - details are usually obtained through word of mouth and IIRC he has his phone number on the last page of the notes LOL. If i do find his details i'll chuck you a PM.

Yup if I was you I would contact him as soon as possible - his classes get packed quickly and are sometimes overfilled aha.

Thanks!!!