Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:11:07 pm

Author Topic: Holiday Casual Jobs  (Read 1833 times)  Share 

marina_t

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Holiday Casual Jobs
« on: January 06, 2019, 05:30:56 pm »
Hey!
So I just graduated from year 12 and as you all know, the summer holidays is a 3-month break. I am currently looking for something to keep myself occupied and that includes finding a summer job. Does anyone know of any places that are hiring and that can be easy to apply to and work at with flexible working hours?

Thanks!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Holiday Casual Jobs
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 05:45:16 pm »
+7
Summer holidays which are technically half over already....

Most places that hire the christmas casuals usually start recruitment earlier in the previous year e.g. August-September so I think you'd find it a bit difficult at this time of year as the recruitment has already been and gone.

In terms of other positions, places that have a heavy employment count (e.g. fast food) may be good options for you.

But yeah.. I think you've missed the main christmas period recruitment so you'd find it a bit difficult.. especially if you're only after something to fill time until your break is over as your post suggests.

Another thing you could look at is volunteering - even though you wouldn't get paid you'd fill the time and there really would be no commitments etc?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:48:55 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 05:49:00 pm »
+7
Hey!
So I just graduated from year 12 and as you all know, the summer holidays is a 3-month break. I am currently looking for something to keep myself occupied and that includes finding a summer job. Does anyone know of any places that are hiring and that can be easy to apply to and work at with flexible working hours?

Thanks!
Hi Marina!
I'd recommend looking for a receptionist position, or something similar, as well as others that may be much more attainable, like McDonalds, although it may not seem particularly appealing.. These positions are typically offered with a flexible roster and decent pay. Have you tried looking into this on job sites such as Jora, SEEK or Indeed? It would be a good idea for you to look this up according to your personal limits and specifications.
You could also fill your time by applying for various certificates, including First Aid, RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol), and Working With Children's Check. These will boost your resume by a mile and allow for a wider span of workplace opportunities in other places like bars or playgrounds. Whatever the case, every job makes money, so best of luck with getting one that suits your preferences!
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 06:47:23 pm »
+5
Just adding onto the responses above, a good place would be a chemist/pharmacy (especially the small ones unlike Chemist Warehouse and Priceline). If you have zero work experience, usually small chemists don't mind as long as you are available most of the time. Shops such as Kmart, Target and Big W are always looking for sales assistants. Working at a cinema is good as well, though the hours are mostly during the night time.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 01:26:52 pm »
Just adding onto the responses above, a good place would be a chemist/pharmacy (especially the small ones unlike Chemist Warehouse and Priceline). If you have zero work experience, usually small chemists don't mind as long as you are available most of the time. Shops such as Kmart, Target and Big W are always looking for sales assistants. Working at a cinema is good as well, though the hours are mostly during the night time.

i have zero work experience and im in year 12. Is that fine? for a chemist job?
-KgkG-

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 02:25:13 pm »
+3
i have zero work experience and im in year 12. Is that fine? for a chemist job?

Should be fine! I didn't have any work experience and my first job was at a chemist. As long as you add in all your extra-curriculars from school and (if possible) volunteer work in your resume, small chemists would take this into account. If you don't have any extra curricular or volunteer work, a cover letter showing your enthusiasm and willingness to learn will work!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.