Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:43:16 pm

Author Topic: What's LinkedIn all about?  (Read 1715 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
What's LinkedIn all about?
« on: June 26, 2018, 10:46:44 am »
+12
Well, LinkedIn is definitely a thing these days. 😂 But like, what is it exactly, and how can you use it?

I've had LinkedIn for a few years. I'm not an expert here by any means, but I've listed some tips/general discussion on LinkedIn below based on what I do know. Would love to use this thread for general LinkedIn discussion, questions etc. :)

Benefits of LinkedIn

1. Easier to update than your CV
At least, IMO it is! LinkedIn is actually pretty intuitive in the way you can add experience, volunteering positions, education etc. It basically builds the template for you, and you just plug in the relevant information.

Now, that's not to say you shouldn't have a regular CV on record. Some employers ask for a physical copy, or a format that isn't LinkedIn, and it'd be annoying as to have to create a CV from scratch. Much easier to just have one sitting in the background!

2. Build connections through groups
In the same way that you can join groups and stuff on Facebook, you can join groups on LinkedIn. These groups tend to be more professional, though, and you should consider them as such. But by joining groups for things you're interested in, or the industry you're working etc., you can build connections with other people doing similar things.

You immediately have the shared context of being in that same group and, therefore, presumably having a similar interest/experience.

3. Recommendations and endorsements
One thing LinkedIn offers that regular CVs don't is the potential for dynamic recommendations. What I mean by that is that people you've worked with or know can leave what are essentially reviews on your own page. So they could be like, "I worked with Joseph41 in such and such role, and their experience in so and so was useful because reason." This gives your profile credibility, and they look nice if potential employers are snoopin'.

4. Stay in the loop re: cool opportunities
I've seen a bunch of stuff on LinkedIn I haven't really seen elsewhere in terms of volunteering opportunities, potential employment etc. Because the site is more focused on professional stuff, you're essentially filtering content to see only what's relevant to the platform. Being on top of your LinkedIn game can have benefits in this way.

5. Employment
One thing you might not know about LinkedIn is that it has a pretty considerable section dedicated to job listings and the like. You can let potential employers know that you're on the lookout, and can also search jobs based on industry, level of experience, wage etc. It's a very good feature!

6. You can get headhunted
And on the other side of the coin, employers might find you based on your listed experience. You might stumble onto a job without even directly searching for it!

General LinkedIn advice

1. LinkedIn isn't Snap, or Facey, or Insta
So don't treat it as though it is. Only use professional photos, don't write status updates about what parties you're going to on the weekend etc. It might seem obvious, but it can initially be tempting to treat it just as another form of social media, because in layout it's sometimes quite similar to things you're likely familiar with.

2. Don't try to sound too pompous
You might see like, hectic crazy profiles of super high up professionals, and think, "I'll just make mine like that!" But there's a difference between an industry professional and a student, and when you're the latter, IMO there's not much point trying to pretend you're the former. One thing I personally don't like is writing about your experiences in third-person, which you might see from time to time. And leading on from this point:

3. Right tone of voice
Tone is important. You don't want to seem too clinical, you don't want to seem too desperate, you don't want to seem too unenthusiastic. There's no need to write a full essay on every position you've ever had. I had a short paragraph for each for a while, then went to dot points, and now have no description at all under my positions - it's up to you.

4. Actually finish your profile
When I'm browsing LinkedIn sometimes, I come across profiles that are just obviously not finished. This is fine in isolation, because it's unlikely you'll make your full profile in one sitting, but try not to leave things mid-sentence, and don't keep things like "[insert job experience here]". You never really know who'll stumble upon your profile, and you definitely don't want them seeing stuff like that!

5. Put in some effort to different sections
Think about what you'll include, what you won't include, and why. Write a nice little summary at the top of your profile (there's a dedicated summary section you can add), outlining who you are, your experiences and what you're looking for.

6. Privacy settings
Big one. If you don't get your privacy settings right, other people might be able to tell when you've been looking at their profile. If you don't want this to happen, make sure you change your privacy settings accordingly.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
Re: What's LinkedIn all about?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 11:23:27 am »
+7
A great write up for basically getting started Joseph41. I’ll add a few things over using Linkedin.

-Use the Linkedin for Student resources.
These will set you up quite nicely and are tailored for students. A cheat sheet for students on how to leverage Linkedin successfully to be succinctly.

-Don’t feel pressured to set an account up if you don’t want to. Its better to not have one then to set one up poorly. Your time would be better spent creating something you will put effort into like a personal website/blog.

-Getting involved is a really good way to get know in the industry. This could be as simple as writing a comment on Linkedin articles, to even making your own articles. Don’t be afraid to ask question in the comments sections or even leave your opinion on it. It shows initiative and it just might get the attention of someone who will help you out.

-To add on the Privacy settings section, be aware that people have been doxed off Linkedin before so like always be careful about what information you put up. I’ve found some very “interesting and diverse” information about lecturers, tutors and guest speakers i’ve had off using Linkedin as a starting point.

-To add on the Easier to update than your CV section, DON’T USE YOUR PROFILE AS YOUR RESUME/CV FOR JOBS. It looks tacky and unprofessional. Write a Resume/CV tailored for the job and list your Linkedin profile for them to look up a fuller picture of you.

-If your in university (I assume most are when reading this), go to your university’s career events on Linkedin as they can give you really useful tips for starting out and usually have a photo-session for a professional head-shot and/or one dedicated for Linkedin profiles. So no need to get a friend using an iPhone/S8, etc taking a poorly done one or paying more for a professional photographer to do it.

-You can also use your University alumni network as a way to learn about positions in companies. I’ve done this extensively to improve my chances of getting jobs, making a connection to even not applying for jobs in certain companies.

-When creating a connection request, PERSONALISE IT. Don’t use the standard/default Linkedin gives you, it shows your desperate and not putting in the effort

-On Connections, having lots of connections means nothing. Seriously add people you know or people you want to know and talk to. Having 500+ connections isn’t worth the hassle, if you know only 10 of them (Yes, people actually do this. There are even users who dedicated themselves to adding anyone to spruce up their connections numbers)

These additional tips will set you up nicely, if I can think of some more I'll add them. But I'm more than happy for people to PM me, any additional questions about Linkedin.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: What's LinkedIn all about?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 11:33:19 am »
Great stuff, zofro. :) What's been the biggest advantage of having LinkedIn for you, do you think?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.