Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:37:37 am

Author Topic: Help year 10 deciding if to do this subject  (Read 3978 times)  Share 

Imoru_

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Help year 10 deciding if to do this subject
« on: May 11, 2019, 03:24:59 pm »
Hey, im in year 10 and currently deciding what i want to do in university and the subjects i want to do for next year. I've taken interest in computer science and am unsure if i should do software design and development. Is there assumed knowledge going into this subject? Do you have to know a lot of coding before going into this subject.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: Help year 10 deciding if to do this subject
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 05:10:42 pm »
Hey, im in year 10 and currently deciding what i want to do in university and the subjects i want to do for next year. I've taken interest in computer science and am unsure if i should do software design and development. Is there assumed knowledge going into this subject? Do you have to know a lot of coding before going into this subject.

Hey firstly there is no assumed knowledge for Software Design and Development so its great even if you have no coding experience. The whole point of the course is to teach you how to code, not only on a computer but by hand too. Obviously your experience will vary depending on your teacher but for me, my teacher taught us how to code quite effectively.

I see your interested in Computer Science, if that's the case you should definitely take SDD because it helps a lot with first year uni Comp sci. A lot of our exercises for programming are literally past HSC questions made harder :)

Definitely try SDD!

Shiv3n

• Adventurer
  • omae wa mou shindeiru :3
  • Respect: 0
Re: Help year 10 deciding if to do this subject
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 07:33:48 pm »
+2

Hey,
Like Dr Dusk already mentioned, there isn't any assumed knowledge for SSD and I agree that your experience would vary depending on your teacher. I would strongly suggest talking to other students in your school before taking the subject and even talking talking to the teacher teaching it!
The beauty of the subject is that learning to code involves learning a completely new language and concept which is pretty amazing once you get your head around how everything works! You'll come to appreciate every bit of programming and code you come across. (∪ ◡ ∪)

Again, like mentioned already, if you are interested in Computer Science then taking SDD will definitely benefit you. The subject not only involves learning to code and processes behind the entire thing but it also teaches you a way of thinking logically when approaching problem-solving and software oriented tasks which I think is really important.

You have plenty of time before choosing your electives, don't hesitate to take your time deciding!!!! Hope that helps :)
HSC 2019 : English Adv | Maths | Maths Ext 1 | SDD | IDT | Ancient History