Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:16:20 am

Author Topic: "You have to know the Textbook Definitions"  (Read 1539 times)  Share 

Damoz.G

"You have to know the Textbook Definitions"
« on: June 06, 2013, 11:04:31 pm »
+1
You have probably heard your Psych teacher go on about memorising Textbook Definitions - Word for word!

With so many definitions in Psychology, how are you gonna remember them all?

I've got 2 Suggestions:
1. Make a Weekly Test with Definitions you have learned at home or at school. Then sit down and write the definitions for each. Afterwards, you can mark it, or give it to your Teacher to mark.

2. Create a Sheet of Definitions each week, and put it on your wall. Then, everyday, walk around and LEARN and REMEMBER it. Another member on here had this Idea for a different Subject, but it could definitely work for Psych too. As they also said, there is a difference between READING and LEARNING/REMEMBERING.

Alternatively, you may use to link the concepts or have a personal experience attached to the Definition, but I don't think this would help by memorising it word for word.

Any other Methods that you are using?

mizz_sara

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: "You have to know the Textbook Definitions"
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 11:15:10 am »
Thanks for the great tips! :D

DetteAmelie

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 02:52:27 pm »
+1
Tip # 3
Your first and foremost priority with any subject is to have a competent understanding of key concepts covered. In my opinion rote learning a definition is useless if you don't actually understand the concept on a basic level. Word by word? Honestly, if you have a sound understanding of the topic then you won't have to regurgitate the exact definition from the textbook; you won't have to spend each weekend trying to remember definitions - once you understand the definition, the ability to generate your own should come naturally to you. Now, I'm not saying rote learning is wrong or anything (I do it too), however, I think it is always best to start with having a solid foundation of the concept before you attempt to rote learn a definition word for word.

Anyhow, in saying that each to their own. Do what suits you best.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:24:57 pm by Colibri »

dilks

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 04:03:27 pm »
+2
Knowing the definitions was more important in the old study design. In this study design I believe conceptual understanding has become more important. For the exam, at least, anyway.
English (49) Software Development (44) Psychology (43) IT Applications (40) Methods (35) Physics (34) ATAR: 97.15 Course: Master of Engineering (Software) Also providing English tuition. Students in the North Eastern suburbs especially convenient as I live in Ivanhoe. Interested in giving tuition to students studying Computing.

teletubbies_95

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • heartbreaker <3 JB
  • Respect: +24
  • School: Mac.Rob
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 04:34:20 pm »
I made flashcards last year ! :)
So whenever I could , like on the train or tram, I got my flashcards out and just revised them. :) I think repetition on the same content helps with psych.
Also I made mind maps of what I learnt every week and it that much of my time ( like 10 mins or so)
2012: Psychology(46) Biology (44)
2013: Chem(41)---EngLang(44)--HealthnHuman(47)---Methods(41)--DEAKIN PSYCH(4.5)
ATAR=99.10! :) umat=94ile
i liek lala :) arre bhaiya aal izz well :) <3