Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:49:42 pm

Author Topic: Maths Assignment Help!!  (Read 1452 times)  Share 

sealtheseal

• Adventurer
  • dyin but tryin my best <3
  • Respect: 0
Maths Assignment Help!!
« on: July 27, 2019, 11:16:11 pm »
Hello!

This is my first time using ATAR notes and hope you guys can help me.

I am starting a maths assignment, where we are asked to write up a maths report about a paper plane experiment.
Through this assignment, we are to look into 3-5 designs for paper planes, do trials and then choose the "best" one. It was so vague so when coming to select the designs and working out what I am going to do, it has been really stressing me out.

In terms of the design: some ideas were like, 5 totally different planes, 5 Planes the same model but aspects of it were changed for each one...

We are meant to assume a lot of things so now I don't know anymore.

Hope you guys can give me the structure of a maths report, solutions about what designs I may put into consideration and what type of maths I can use in this report.
Thanks!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 02:21:56 pm by sealtheseal »

redpanda83

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Re: Maths Assignment Help!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 12:41:09 am »
Hello!

This is my first time using ATAR notes and hope you guys can help me.

I am starting a maths assignment, where we are asked to write up a maths report about a paper plane experiment.
Through this assignment, we are to look into 3-5 designs for paper planes, do trials and then choose the "best" one. It was so vague so when coming to select the designs and working out what I am going to do, it has been really stressing me out.

In terms of the design: some ideas were like, 5 totally different planes, 5 Planes the same model but aspects of it were changed for each one...

We are meant to assume a lot of things so now I don't know anymore.

Hope you guys can give me the structure of a maths report, solutions about what designs I may put into consideration and what type of maths I can use in this report. THANKSSS
Hey Welcome to Atarnotes.
PAPERRRRR PLANESSSSS sounds fun.
i will be happy to help, but what are you being judged on? which paper plane looks fancy ? or the one that has max flight time? "best" is a bit vague! So its your project and will go however you want it to be. you can try to balance both factors or can focus on only one for example flight time, and in your report say how a plane is considered best when it can fly the fastest or can complete its practical work efficiently.
You may want to look into origami for maths and fun. (even NASA uses it) . Bernoulli Principle - you may want to also research about this a little. This why planes can fly. gives you scientific stuff to write about.
for maths you can talk about the geometric features of your plane, the way it was constructed and speed it travels at.  i.e find the distance it travelled and divide it by time.
Or you can look into how wingspan of the plane effect its flight time.
there are so many things.
Try to narrow down what you want to focus on, and control all the variables except two. So, you dont get lost and its crazy amount of work.
Hope it helps!
VCE 2017 - 2019  |  ATAR: 97.65
Further [43], Chemistry [42],Physics[41], Methods [41],Hindi[35], EAL [39]

UoM 2020 - 2025  |  Bachelor of Science / Master of Engineering

sealtheseal

• Adventurer
  • dyin but tryin my best <3
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 07:42:59 am »
Hey Welcome to Atarnotes.
PAPERRRRR PLANESSSSS sounds fun.
i will be happy to help, but what are you being judged on? which paper plane looks fancy ? or the one that has max flight time? "best" is a bit vague! So its your project and will go however you want it to be. you can try to balance both factors or can focus on only one for example flight time, and in your report say how a plane is considered best when it can fly the fastest or can complete its practical work efficiently.
You may want to look into origami for maths and fun. (even NASA uses it) . Bernoulli Principle - you may want to also research about this a little. This why planes can fly. gives you scientific stuff to write about.
for maths you can talk about the geometric features of your plane, the way it was constructed and speed it travels at.  i.e find the distance it travelled and divide it by time.
Or you can look into how wingspan of the plane effect its flight time.
there are so many things.
Try to narrow down what you want to focus on, and control all the variables except two. So, you don't get lost and its crazy amount of work.
Hope it helps!

Thanks so much for replying!! I thought no one would respond.
In the terms of "best" paper aeroplane that's literally what the task sheet asks aha, so I'm guessing we have to make some hypothesis about it.
We get judged on mainly our maths bit but also whatever we think makes up the best paper aeroplane and doing so by making assumptions and comparing 3-5 designs we decide to choose. There are so many variables to keep in mind as well, im not sure what you mean by narrowing down to two could you elaborate on that?

Also I have to ask would it be better to do 5 totally different designs and compare them or go into research about aspects of paper planes (like windspan, the width of wings etc.) then create the 5 designs from one base plane but changing 4 of them from the aspects researched? Im just lost in how there are so many paper planes and how im meant to choose a design and work based around it.

your response has really helped me!!Thanks so much
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 07:46:20 am by sealtheseal »

redpanda83

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 03:03:17 pm »
+1
Thanks so much for replying!! I thought no one would respond.
In the terms of "best" paper aeroplane that's literally what the task sheet asks aha, so I'm guessing we have to make some hypothesis about it.
We get judged on mainly our maths bit but also whatever we think makes up the best paper aeroplane and doing so by making assumptions and comparing 3-5 designs we decide to choose. There are so many variables to keep in mind as well, im not sure what you mean by narrowing down to two could you elaborate on that?

Also I have to ask would it be better to do 5 totally different designs and compare them or go into research about aspects of paper planes (like windspan, the width of wings etc.) then create the 5 designs from one base plane but changing 4 of them from the aspects researched? Im just lost in how there are so many paper planes and how im meant to choose a design and work based around it.

your response has really helped me!!Thanks so much
So, by narrowing variables down to about two; i mean you dont want to be changing too many different things like in one design you changed wingspan and in other you changed the length of the plane---- too many things to do and you will get confused. SO to avoid that - only focus on couple of features  of plane. More things you try to change, more harder it will be to handle the research.
For example -  if you only change wingspan and length of plane 3 times - thats a total of 9 combinations of plane you can have. and you would have to do at least 3 trials for each plane to make sure your data is a bit reliable. Now now thats about 27 times you would have to fly the plane(fun in you case). See, already with only 2 independent variables (things you change) the project has already increased to this much.
Definition "best" would be based on what your data will tell you and it will be subjective to each person's experiments variable so dont worry about it.
Just focus on couple of variables instead of trying to change every feature of the plane. REMEMBER, as you said you will be judged mainly on your maths so you dont have to go for fancy designs - just basic one would do too ,  but in the end its your choice.
~~ have fun~
VCE 2017 - 2019  |  ATAR: 97.65
Further [43], Chemistry [42],Physics[41], Methods [41],Hindi[35], EAL [39]

UoM 2020 - 2025  |  Bachelor of Science / Master of Engineering