Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 04:53:23 pm

Author Topic: What to do on the holidays before year 12?  (Read 1502 times)  Share 

hdxx

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
What to do on the holidays before year 12?
« on: November 30, 2017, 10:39:33 am »
Any preparation tips for legal? thanks!

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
Re: What to do on the holidays before year 12?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 04:29:40 pm »
Any preparation tips for legal? thanks!

Hi there!
Sorry about the late response. Although these may not work for everyone, I did the following in preparation for Legal:
1. Got organised - i.e. I worked out where and how I was going to study throughout the year; purchased textbooks and study guides; worked out the layout of my notes, as well as the fonts/colours I was going to use (probably a bit unnecessary, but I like consistency haha).
2. Familiarised myself with the study design.
3. Got a head start on Unit 3 AOS 1 by reading the relevant sections of my textbook/study guides and starting my notes for the AOS.
4. Attended a headstart lecture for Legal - I would highly recommend attending the ATAR Notes FREE Legal Lecture if you can (https://www.eventbrite.com.au/o/atar-notes-vce-lectures-7836154781)
5. Any other homework assigned by my teacher.

Best of luck!
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

accoleg

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 08:39:42 pm »
Cannot understate the importance of understanding content in legal! Go through your textbook (at least for the first couple of dotpoints of the study design), read and get a feel for the content. Also, keep up to date with legal advancements that have occurred recently (e.g. The Age/Herald Sun articles) as you work your way through the year these will make more sense and really enrich your responses, so you do achieve higher (or full) marks on those nasty globally marked questions.

Also review what key task words (e.g explain, evaluate, analyse, discuss) mean, the sooner you get use to these the better.

As someone already replied, read the study design!! It really will be your bible throughout the year. Go through both the skills and knowledge listed so you'll know what's expected.

Making sure your handwritings in check would also be great, as you start to do practice exams (and even sacs) you'll be so thankful if you can write fast. Legal is, unfortunately, one of those subjects where you will be expected to write a fair bti within a short time, and ensuring your writing is legible and you get down all the points is a great way to ensure a 40+!

But have a break! Legal is a very demanding subject, and you'll need to be rested to do well.

kamie22

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:58:12 pm »
Hi, I'm not sure if you have your textbook already, because my textbook (Justice and outcomes) is still being written for the new study design and hasn't arrived yet, which is really annoying if you want to get ahead (which I do too!)

I would look at the beginning of the study design and take down as much possible. I would also maybe start going through past exams and picking out questions that are of relevance to the new study design, that way when you start doing them, the questions that are suitable are already there ready to go.

Best of luck!