Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:52:35 am

Author Topic: The QCE Years - My Journey to Changing the World through Business and Technology  (Read 51367 times)

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
+4
Hey Everyone,

This is my first update for 2021 :)

Having spent nearly two weeks in Year 12 officially, I can say that it already feels hard to keep up.

Thankfully, I've only been given 1 assignment off the bat and I've just been studying content for all of my other subjects.

I think that by having 5 assignments and 1 exam for IA2 this term I have an opportunity to do well since I'm usually better at assignments than exams.

Be sure to check in again for more updates which I'll be posting periodically :)

Till next time,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 10:57:35 pm by JerryMouse2019 »
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
+1
Hey Everyone,

This is my first update for 2021 :)

Having spent nearly two weeks in Year 12 officially, I can say that it already feels hard to keep up.

Thankfully, I've only been given 1 assignment off the bat and I've just been studying content for all of my other subjects.

I think that by having 5 assignments and 1 exam for IA2 this term I have an opportunity to do well since I'm usually better at assignments than exams.

Be sure to check in again for more updates which I'll be posting periodically :)

Till next time,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019

Hey Jerry,

I definitely understand how you feel, especially as Year 12 is one of the biggest years of your life. But just a suggestion - have you tried implementing time management skills into your routines?

It really helped me to plan out and write all of my assignments effectively and even helped me to study for my exams in small and manageable size chunks.

If you need any advice on how to manage your time, feel free to let me know as I would be more than happy to help you :)

Keep up the great work Jerry!
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
+4
Having 2 assignments due on the last day of term really sucks.

Also, as I progress through the year I'll talk more about my plans for Uni.

I've been thinking about doing Justice at Uni lately. Anyone have any ideas of what it's like?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 10:52:12 pm by JerryMouse2019 »
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
+1
Having 2 assignments due on the last day of term really sucks.

Also, as I progress through the year I'll talk more about my plans for Uni.

I've been thinking about doing Justice at Uni lately. Anyone have any ideas of what it's like?

Ouch, that does suck. Well at least you have heaps of time to prepare for them. And it's awesome that you have an idea of what you want to do at uni! I'm kinda stuck in the middle at the moment.

I'm not sure what Justice is like at uni, but I can definitely ask around at QUT if you would like :)

Have a great weekend and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
I was supposed to have an exam today but I guess fate played an Uno reverse card.

I didn't expect a lockdown to be announced but I guess the signs were there.

My exam has been rescheduled to early next term and I'm happy about that because I wasn't really well prepared for it.

I also had 2 assignments due on the last day of term but the due date has also been shifted to early next term.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 11:40:21 am by JerryMouse2019 »

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
I was supposed to have an exam today but I guess fate played an Uno reverse card.

Wow, I'm literally cackling right now. Please send virtual help.

My exam has been rescheduled to early next term and I'm happy about that because I wasn't really well prepared for it. I also had 2 assignments due on the last day of term but the due date has also been shifted to early next term.

But it's great that you have more time to prepare! The only assessment that I have that was rescheduled was a multiple choice quiz that's only worth 10% of my final grade - the rest are going as planned but I would recommend using this time as much as you can, especially as the holidays can fly by in an instant.

Anyway, how's year 12 going? Are your possible career choices still the same or has it changed since your last QCE Journey Journal update?

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
Wow, I'm literally cackling right now. Please send virtual help.

But it's great that you have more time to prepare! The only assessment that I have that was rescheduled was a multiple choice quiz that's only worth 10% of my final grade - the rest are going as planned but I would recommend using this time as much as you can, especially as the holidays can fly by in an instant.

Anyway, how's year 12 going? Are your possible career choices still the same or has it changed since your last QCE Journey Journal update?

Year 12 is going okay. I'm not getting a break these holidays due to the lockdown's effects of postponing my assessments. But I guess that is a good thing as I mentioned before in my previous post.

As for what I'm planning post high school, I'm still looking at a variety of degrees. I had a look recently at the UQ Bachelor of Politics, Philosophy and Economics (Honours) (BPPE) but the problem that I have with this degree is that it has a prerequisite of Maths Methods. Since I'm doing General Maths, I would need to do a bridging course to get into it and even then I would need a minimum ATAR of 94. It's an unrealistic option but I'm still thinking about it. I'm more sure of getting into QUT and so I'm focusing more on the options available to me there. The double degree in Business/Justice at QUT is my preferred choice right now (likely majoring in Economics and Politics/Policy).

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
Hey Everyone,

Another update for you all :)

I just finished my remaining IA2s last week and so now I'm on my way to my IA3s (last internal assessments ;D ;D ;D).

I mostly got Cs in IA1 and I'm expecting a lot of Cs in IA2 as well. My confidence has been declining due to my average grades.

However, the good news is that I haven't failed any of my IAs yet.

I've found it to be really hard to stop procrastinating and that has caused me to leave assignments and exam preparation to the last minute.

With every day going forward, I'm finding it harder and harder to believe that I can do this.

I've come to a point where sometimes I feel as if I don't care at all about whatever happens in Year 12. Maybe this is a symptom of burn out that I've never noticed before but I hope that eventually everything will turn out alright.

Does anyone have any ideas which can help me get out of this uncomfortable dilemma?

Kind regards
JerryMouse2019

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Hey!

Good to hear from you again :)

If you're finding that not caring about what happens is extending to life general it's probably time to talk to your gp about it.

Nice work on avoiding failing despite the challenges you're facing atm :)

With procrastination, some of the things you can work one are trying to build up consistent habits that make it easier & making the initial starting less daunting (e.g. by using 5 min rule, or doing easier tasks initially).

From a more score-focused perspective, remember that you've still got IA3 + the exam which count for a lot. You still have a chance to make a substantial difference to your marks.

I absolutely believe that everything will turn out alright in the end. It can be hard to pick yourself but up again but 100% you can do it.

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
Hey Everyone,

Another update for you all :)

I just finished my remaining IA2s last week and so now I'm on my way to my IA3s (last internal assessments ;D ;D ;D).

I mostly got Cs in IA1 and I'm expecting a lot of Cs in IA2 as well. My confidence has been declining due to my average grades.

However, the good news is that I haven't failed any of my IAs yet.

I've found it to be really hard to stop procrastinating and that has caused me to leave assignments and exam preparation to the last minute.

With every day going forward, I'm finding it harder and harder to believe that I can do this.

I've come to a point where sometimes I feel as if I don't care at all about whatever happens in Year 12. Maybe this is a symptom of burn out that I've never noticed before but I hope that eventually everything will turn out alright.

Does anyone have any ideas which can help me get out of this uncomfortable dilemma?

Kind regards
JerryMouse2019

Hey Jerry,

Thanks so much for the update! Love hearing from you :)

I'm so sorry to hear that your confidence is at an all time low, but from personal experience, my best advice to you would be to recognise and embrace that the lowest moments of your life are the leeway to the highest points of your life. Think of life as a roller-coaster: at the moment, it seems like you're at the bottom of the drop. But with courage and resilience, I'm sure you'll be able to work your way back up to the top of the drop again.

I also struggle with procrastination a lot too but the best way I deal with procrastination is to keep your head up high and dust off your shoulders. As I said before, resilience is vital as a student (especially in year twelve), so what I would recommend doing is the following: after each burst of productivity/study session, reflect on what you did well, what you didn't do so well and what you can improve on for next time. Then, when the next study session comes along, have your reflection next to you to guide you through what you need to do to improve.

I would also recommend setting small, achievable "bite-size" chunks for you to complete. Rather than eating the entire burger all in one go, try eating it one small bite at a time. Try eating the burger (approaching the situation) differently, rather than slurping on a slurpee (avoiding what needs to be done) straight after eating your burger, try to savour the taste (keep focusing on the task at hand) in your mouth and save your favourite part of the burger (the task your looking most forward to) for last to get the ingredients (the tasks that you don't want to do as much) that you don't really want to eat out of the way.

Also create a manageable timetable for yourself to stick to and get someone to hold you accountable. For example, my HSC friend is infamous for procrastinating on her assignments until the very last minute so I always set her a timetable structure for her to follow to get her assignment done in time. Your timetable may look like this:

Example - Unit 3 Exam is tomorrow.

1:00-2:00pm Bivariate Data revision
2:00-2:30pm Energy Break
2:30-3:30pm Time Series Data revision
3:30-4:00pm Energy Break
4:00-5:00pm Sequences and Change revision
5:00-5:30pm Energy Break
5:30-6:30pm Earth Geometry revision
6:30-7:30pm Dinner
7:30-8:00pm Last review of formula sheets, flashcards etc.
8:00-8:30pm Relax, watch a bit of a Marvel movie or TV series.
9:00pm Go to sleep.

Also, this may not work for you but whenever I have the urge to procrastinate, I watch a "study with me video" (ones that are usually 1-2 hours long) while I'm studying to keep myself accountable.

Hopefully, that helps but of course, if you ever need any more tips and tricks for dealing with procrastination, feel free to let me know as I would be more than happy to help :)

Also quick lil daily reminder: I know it may seem hard right now but you got this Jerry - I believe in you :)

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
For anyone who is currently doing QCE Economics Units 3&4, I have some news to share with you.

At the ATAR Notes April Lectures, I found out that ATAR Notes is releasing a study guide for QCE Economics Units 3&4 at the end of Term 2 (late June 2021).

While most of us will be done with IA3 by that time, this study guide could be useful for preparing for the external exam.

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
A Quick Update:

I only have two weeks left to go for this term :)

I have less than 100 school days left to go until graduation :)

I'm feeling stressed right now but by the end of this term I'll have only two IA3s left to take care of :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
A Quick Update:

I only have two weeks left to go for this term :)

I have less than 100 school days left to go until graduation :)

I'm feeling stressed right now but by the end of this term I'll have only two IA3s left to take care of :)

Ahhh wow that's so soon.

That's a scary small amount of assessments left - will you mostly be doing revision or do you have more content left?

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
Ahhh wow that's so soon.

That's a scary small amount of assessments left - will you mostly be doing revision or do you have more content left?

I'll have an exam and a assignment to take care of when this term finishes. The exam will happen in mid term 3 as I'll still have some content to cover when I come back from the holidays. The assignment has a lot of sections to it and so that is why it'll be due in mid term 3 as well. Once I'm done with those two IA3s, I'll be preparing for mock exams which will then prepare me for the external exams after which I'll graduate.

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
I'll have an exam and a assignment to take care of when this term finishes. The exam will happen in mid term 3 as I'll still have some content to cover when I come back from the holidays. The assignment has a lot of sections to it and so that is why it'll be due in mid term 3 as well. Once I'm done with those two IA3s, I'll be preparing for mock exams which will then prepare me for the external exams after which I'll graduate.

Good luck Jerry! I know you'll do great :)