Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:01:32 am

Author Topic: Sewing thread!  (Read 16429 times)

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
Re: Sewing thread!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 08:37:09 pm »
+1
Thanks for such a detailed explanation! Did you learn by watching people/videos? How long have you been sewing for? The fact you taught yourself to sew and are sew amazingly talented at it gives me confidence to try my hand at it! I've bought so many books over the years about crocheting/sewing/knitting and just looked at it, never actually tried any out (apart from a scarf haha). But yeah I have a working sewing machine so no more excuses! And a mannequin that I display hats and jewellery and favourite dresses on lol.

My wardrobe is filled with a ridiculously unnecessary mass of clothes and there's probably a lot I wouldn't use so modifying it and adding bits and bobs to change it up sounds like a great start! Gosh I just LOVE rompers and jumpsuits so much!! You look so put together with no effort and they are so flattering, très chic. That latest jumper turned dress ahh I love it, so gorgeous!! Where can I buy one? ;D

Go and rock those fab outfits girl!! Love them all! You were both helpful and motivating and I can't wait to get started!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 08:42:16 pm by mango8 »

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 09:14:11 pm »
+1
Thanks for such a detailed explanation! Did you learn by watching people/videos? How long have you been sewing for? The fact you taught yourself to sew and are sew amazingly talented at it gives me confidence to try my hand at it! I've bought so many books over the years about crocheting/sewing/knitting and just looked at it, never actually tried any out (apart from a scarf haha). But yeah I have a working sewing machine so no more excuses! And a mannequin that I display hats and jewellery and favourite dresses on lol.

My wardrobe is filled with a ridiculously unnecessary mass of clothes and there's probably a lot I wouldn't use so modifying it and adding bits and bobs to change it up sounds like a great start! Gosh I just LOVE rompers and jumpsuits so much!! You look so put together with no effort and they are so flattering, très chic. That latest jumper turned dress ahh I love it, so gorgeous!! Where can I buy one? ;D

Go and rock those fab outfits girl!! Love them all! You were both helpful and motivating and I can't wait to get started!!

Aww thanks Mango, that makes me feel sew happy!  ;D
I didn't really watch any videos or people at the start, I borrowed some sewing books at the library and sort of skimmed them and read some articles online. I learned by making lots of mistakes and finding out what not to do, and what works.

I have been sewing for maybe three years. At first I was just sewing pillows and pencil cases and things, then I gradually tried simple loose sleeveless tops and simple skirts.

Go for it!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:17:17 pm by Owlbird83 »
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Isla77

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 08:13:08 pm »
+6
Oh my goodness Owlbird83 your remakes are amazing!! Absolutely loved your blue dress from your grandma's old shirt, I thought that was really clever! Wanna try and see if I can do something similar from mum's old clothes  ;D

Cool I'll check it out! Wow you sewed your formal dress! That's so cool!! I have been wanting to sew a formal dress for a while but I'm too scared of mucking up nice material! Do you have a picture? My formal is in June its always the same day as the gat  :-\ so maybe if I feel confident enough I will give it a try!  ;D

The formal dress was alright, but it took a loooong time because I kept on trying it on and adjusting it haha. Otherwise the sewing part was alright, especially because I kept it loose and not too tight so that there was always some room. But still on the day I had to use several safety pins to keep the fabric in place  :'(. Recommend making it if you are keen, it'll be a good memory ;)

Spoiler

EDIT: modified the picture so it's easier to access :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:27:40 am by Isla77 »

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 04:39:10 pm »
+4
Oh my goodness Owlbird83 your remakes are amazing!! Absolutely loved your blue dress from your grandma's old shirt, I thought that was really clever! Wanna try and see if I can do something similar from mum's old clothes  ;D

The formal dress was alright, but it took a loooong time because I kept on trying it on and adjusting it haha. Otherwise the sewing part was alright, especially because I kept it loose and not too tight so that there was always some room. But still on the day I had to use several safety pins to keep the fabric in place  :'(. Recommend making it if you are keen, it'll be a good memory ;)

Spoiler

EDIT: modified the picture so it's easier to access :)

Wow Isla! That's so elegant!!! I love the colour and style!
Same, I also always try on the clothes many times before sewing and get stabbed by pins a billion times!
It would be a great feeling to be wearing a formal dress you have made yourself!  ;D

Thank you! The blue dress was sort of inspired by this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZjGXcPPUbQ (If you skip to about 9mins through)  ;D

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2019, 08:43:09 pm »
+8
Hi everyone!
I know this isn't sewing but I don't want to start a different thread since I have been neglecting this one a lot.
Here is some wire jewelry I made today even though I probably should have been studying. Productive procrastination, but not helpful for my Japanese SAC tomorrow.

For the bracelet at the back I wove a thin blue strand through 5 larger wires in a pattern.

The earrings look weird at the top because I don't have my ears pierced so I attached the wire part to a top clip-on/screw bit that I bought (really cheaply in japan because many people don't have their ears pierced).

I really was into gemstones when I was in primary school and I wanted to be a geologist or 'gemologist', so I have a small collection of them. So I tried to make a tree of life thing (idea from Pinterest).

I really like the copper wire but I have made things from it before and it tarnishes really quickly so I coated the tree of life one with clear nail polish and I should probably do the same with the others soon.

Fun fact: the thin copper wires (for the tree) were from the inside of an electricity cord of an old appliance that we were throwing out!
(The others wires are from Spotlight).

Anyone else feel free to post non sewing stuff too! Or if you make jewelry!  ;D

The back round is my clarinet case because that was the nearest black surface

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2019, 08:10:43 pm »
+3
Hi everyone!
I know this isn't sewing but I don't want to start a different thread since I have been neglecting this one a lot.
Here is some wire jewelry I made today even though I probably should have been studying.

I LOVE THOSE GEMSTONE EARRINGS SO MUCH!!!! I love gemstones too and crystals and all. And earrings. You should definitely think about starting an etsy shop. I know someone who started one with all her gorgeous earrings and she even got to a creator's market recently, don't let the talent go to waste, I can tell it will be in high demand, first customer is right here!!

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2019, 08:39:06 pm »
+10
I LOVE THOSE GEMSTONE EARRINGS SO MUCH!!!! I love gemstones too and crystals and all. And earrings. You should definitely think about starting an etsy shop. I know someone who started one with all her gorgeous earrings and she even got to a creator's market recently, don't let the talent go to waste, I can tell it will be in high demand, first customer is right here!!
Thanks Mango! That's a cool idea to think about!  :D

Hi people!  ;D

Here is a two piece jumpsuit thing I made! The trouser part I actually made last term, but it took me for ever to start the top, but I finally have done it!
I really like the colour of the fabric, and it was also really easy to sew with too.
The halterneck neckline is one of my favourites and I have made quite a few tops similar before.
I didn't really intend for my stomach to be seen, but I cut it too short and didn't really have enough fabric to made it longer, so I feel mildly self conscious.
I think I might wear it to formal, because it would be cool to wear something I have made!

Have a fabulous week everyone!

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 07:17:53 am »
+2
Oh my goodness this is amazing! You are so talented!! I love the blue jumpsuit, when is/was formal?

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 11:13:22 am »
+5
Oh my goodness this is amazing! You are so talented!! I love the blue jumpsuit, when is/was formal?

Hi Laura! Thank you!! Unfortunately I decided not to wear the blue jumpsuit to formal, and instead wore a dress I had gotten at an op shop, there are still a few things I need to fix up with the jumpsuit. Formal was on the same day as the GAT haha.
Have you tried any sewing before? Please post on this board if you try making anything!
 ;D

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 11:47:49 am »
+3
Hi Laura! Thank you!! Unfortunately I decided not to wear the blue jumpsuit to formal, and instead wore a dress I had gotten at an op shop, there are still a few things I need to fix up with the jumpsuit. Formal was on the same day as the GAT haha.
Have you tried any sewing before? Please post on this board if you try making anything!
 ;D

I have in the past but not for a while. I made a string of Hufflepuff bunting, some pyjama shorts and a bag last year but I can't remember the last time I got out the sewing machine.

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2019, 06:05:57 pm »
+8
Hi guys!  ;D

My friend and I are dressing up as the the Princess and the Pauper from the Barbie movie, for 'celebration day' (the last day of year twelve), next week.

I found this blue dress at Savers for $5.50, and I modified it to look more like the actual one from the movie!

Sorry about the bad quality photos again!

Spoiler

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2019, 06:36:31 pm »
+2
It looks amazing! Very much like the real thing!! ;D

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 06:40:08 pm »
It looks amazing! Very much like the real thing!! ;D

Thanks Laura!!  ;D

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2019, 05:31:00 pm »
+2
Awesome work! Very impressive.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2020, 04:59:04 pm »
+9
Hi! I sewed a mask this morning, and thought I should update this thread!  ;D

(Click to unstretch)

It took about 2 hours I think

Progress
Spoiler

I used this pattern on a website, but I found the instructions a bit confusing to follow, but I got there in the end. I traced the pattern off my laptop screen onto baking paper because I don't have a printer. There was a box that it says should be 10 cm, which allowed me to find the correct amount of zooming in for my laptop screen.
https://media.immediate.co.uk/volatile/sites/32/2020/04/Free-mask-sewing-pattern-9070b98.pdf
(I used method 1)
Pattern: https://media.immediate.co.uk/volatile/sites/32/2020/04/Free-mask-sewing-pattern-9070b98.pdf

It has 2 layers of cotton, but I haven't got filter fabric for the middle. I'll probably add some filter fabric when I make them for my parents because they are more likely to go outside to the supermarket.

I went and donated blood this afternoon and like 5 nurses complimented me on my mask, so that made me happy hehe. Especially when the first nurse that I spoke to told the other nurses that I made it hehe.  ;D

I'm happy with it because a lot of the time my sewing gets sloppy but I fully concentrating on making it neat this time!!

Please post photos of your homemade masks!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 05:03:55 pm by Owlbird83 »