Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:34:16 pm

Author Topic: Studying for FM  (Read 632 times)  Share 

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
Studying for FM
« on: March 31, 2020, 10:20:15 am »
How do you guys study for FM?
Do you do all the textbook questions (even ones not set by the teacher)? Do you use other textbooks? Do you do checkpoints?
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
Re: Studying for FM
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 11:05:42 am »
+3
How do you guys study for FM?
Do you do all the textbook questions (even ones not set by the teacher)? Do you use other textbooks? Do you do checkpoints?

I did most of the questions, but ones that I knew how to do off the top of my head I always skipped. I always made sure to do all the extended response questions and then once I was done, move straight onto checkpoints and A+ Notes! ;D
I used the Cambridge Textbook (assigned by school) and it's really good as it contains past VCE exam questions.
I highly recommend going straight to checkpoints as they tend to replicate the exam a bit better and if you have time, since all Further exams are split up into topics/modules, I would attempt to do them before a SAC :D. E.g. you are studying financial, go to exams from 2000 - 2015 and pick out the financial/core modules. Handy thing about further is that everything you study in a certain topic is all in one place, so it's super easy to find exam questions!

Hope that helps  :)

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: Studying for FM
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 12:54:10 pm »
+3
Don't do ALL the textbook questions! Just do the ones set by your teacher to understand the basics and to build up on speed/accuracy when tackling easier questions - but invest most of your time and effort in harder extended response and application questions.

My school used Maths Quest which doesn't have as good of a reputation as Cambridge, but regardless of textbook, you should always be aiming to go beyond.

When preparing for SACs, my approach was
skim through textbook exercises --> textbook revision questions --> extension questions and extra worksheets --> past SAC's

As for the final exam, my approach was
Mistakes logbook --> extension worksheets --> company exams --> past VCAA exams.

I didn't use other textbooks, nor did I purchase any commercial resources such as checkpoints, course notes, or topic tests. I highly recommend approaching your further teacher and the head of VCE maths at your school as they will likely have TONS of free resources to give you. GL!! xx

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU