Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 04:05:54 am

Author Topic: Course selections  (Read 1755 times)

Abbeegale

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Course selections
« on: June 08, 2017, 10:57:27 pm »
Hey guys! This is probably early, but I'm just wondering what's your advice in choosing courses for uni. How did you narrow your choices down and what do you do if you have trouble deciding on a course? There are courses that I know for sure I'm not interested in, but there are a lot of courses out there that are interesting to me, where "I don't mind" seeing myself in. Thank you!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Course selections
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 11:20:28 pm »
Hey Abbeegale!!

First let me direct you to a couple of guides: One on choosing a degree and another on choosing a university - I reckon they'll be helpful!

Personally, I figured out for sure at the Open Days. These are held in late August/early September and they are a chance to go to a university, learn about your course, and chat to students/academic staff. These are the absolute best resource you will have to help make your decision.

Also keep in mind that changing degrees after you start is okay, and actually really common!! So don't feel like you are making a "forever" decision, there are always ways to redirect and refocus your studies as you see the need :)

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 09:49:01 pm »
Hey Abbeegale!!

First let me direct you to a couple of guides: One on choosing a degree and another on choosing a university - I reckon they'll be helpful!

Personally, I figured out for sure at the Open Days. These are held in late August/early September and they are a chance to go to a university, learn about your course, and chat to students/academic staff. These are the absolute best resource you will have to help make your decision.

Also keep in mind that changing degrees after you start is okay, and actually really common!! So don't feel like you are making a "forever" decision, there are always ways to redirect and refocus your studies as you see the need :)

Check out the careers expo too! I'm going to go to the one at Western Sydney in a few weeks. You should also ask your friends who study a course you may be interested in :D

Who am I to be giving this advice though. I still have no idea what I want to do and I graduate in like 2 months :\
Heavy Things :(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 10:03:37 pm »
Careers Expo, then OPEN DAYS my friend - Trust me, those days are the best time to figure it all out

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 03:08:17 am »
When you go to Open Days and Expos and what not - have a list of questions in mind. What do you look for in a Uni? Personally I don't object to being a "number" so I didn't feel like I wanted to gravitate towards a smaller Uni or College. Do you want campus life? Do you want academic courses? Hands on courses? Industry experience? Exchange overseas opportunities? Have these questions ready to bring to the open day so you can gain as much as possible :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 03:54:12 am »
When you go to Open Days and Expos and what not - have a list of questions in mind. What do you look for in a Uni? Personally I don't object to being a "number" so I didn't feel like I wanted to gravitate towards a smaller Uni or College. Do you want campus life? Do you want academic courses? Hands on courses? Industry experience? Exchange overseas opportunities? Have these questions ready to bring to the open day so you can gain as much as possible :)

Will keep that in mind. I also want to ask about scholarships. I've been told to apply for them. I've always had the thought that scholarships are for those small percentage of people who are freakishly smart (looking at everyone here). Is it worth applying if you're say, an average student? I wouldn't think of myself as somebody who stands out.

Heavy Things :(

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 04:13:45 am »
Will keep that in mind. I also want to ask about scholarships. I've been told to apply for them. I've always had the thought that scholarships are for those small percentage of people who are freakishly smart (looking at everyone here). Is it worth applying if you're say, an average student? I wouldn't think of myself as somebody who stands out.

There are different scholarships at different Universities for things outside of academia too, remember! Applying for scholarships can be a lengthy process, so purely out of the intention to not waste your time - make sure you meet the requirements before embarking on the mission of paperwork! I've seen scholarships for low income, overcoming adversity in High School, "All-rounder," excelling in a particular subject/area, etc. There are definitely scholarships for the cream of the academic crop, but there's lots of other ones too. You'll never know if you'll receive one if you don't fill out the form :)

Jamon will likely have more wisdom on this, though! I didn't apply for any scholarships, I wasn't eligible for any at UTS.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!