Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:39 pm

Author Topic: psych is hard!  (Read 1966 times)  Share 

sillybilly123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
psych is hard!
« on: February 16, 2019, 01:26:49 pm »
hi,
for some reason, i am having trouble understanding psych concepts and remembering information
does anyone have tips for being about to understand and remember concepts and do well in psych overall?
thank you! :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: psych is hard!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 03:51:46 pm »
+3
I would definitely say that understanding first is the key to remembering.

Some things you could try include:
- using diagrams to explore topics & processes
- watching educational videos on the topic
- trying to teach someone (this can help you understand where exactly your gaps are)
- looking at information from a different source or perspective
- you can also ask on here for help with a particular concept you're having trouble with

Hope this helps :)

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 04:02:03 pm »
+1
Hey there! I've got a few resources you can use to understand concepts better.
- ePsychVCE. Although some of their stuff is outdated, they have videos, podcasts and activities still relevant to the current study design.
- Crashcourse on youtube. Not tailored specifically towards VCE psych, however they have good content that can, once again, be applied to the current study design. Engaging videos too!
- AlleyDog. You might've heard of this one - it's quite well-known. You'll have to search for specific information you want, but it's pretty cool.

All the best! I hope you start finding psych a bit easier and more fun  ;D
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 05:41:25 pm »
+1
I definitely agree with what has already been said, but I have a few things to add!

I would try applying things to real life (when possible), so for example (assuming you're doing 3/4), you might try to apply instances where certain learning principles come into play (you'll learn this soon). Trying to think about concepts and applying them can really help in consolidating knowledge.

Practice questions also help for a similar reason because they identify your stronger and weaker areas. Definitely seek out your teacher's help (they'll be happy to help) and ask for them to run through tough questions or topics that you're having trouble with.

And lastly, keep using atarnotes as a resource! They'll always be people on to help and guide you with particular concepts and try to explain them in terms that are better for certain individuals.

Hope that all helped and good luck!
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 06:16:36 pm »
Personally, i found some concepts in psych a bit hard i.e. elizabeth eye witness testimony fallibility (did unit 3 and 4 last year and got a 40-i was expecting a 20-25) but if you try to think about the concepts from a simple, logical perspetive, it becomes a bit more easier. if u read it over that concept a couple of times, draw a couple of flow charts, watch videos (which i didnt find useful but u may try it), do a couple of questions on it (i.e. from vcaa) and memorise the answers that vcaa has given (which was really helpful for me lol), it simplifies it a bit and starts to make sense. Yes some concepts in psych can be pretty complex, but i dont think u should have that much trouble with other concepts u will come across the year as they are pretty straightforward if u think about it. if u do have trouble, i suggest u see ur teacher asap or seek help, its never too late! they can help u understand the concepts u r struggling with better