Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:27:29 am

Author Topic: art body of work advice help  (Read 3600 times)  Share 

applesaregreat12

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
art body of work advice help
« on: December 03, 2019, 05:07:01 pm »
I just wanted to ask for some advice about my current idea for my visual arts idea for my body of work/major work as i'm not so sure about it now ;;
my idea was to make many drawings of made up creatures/characters kind of representing creativity/curiosity interacting with me and each other in everyday life in a loose sequence.
I like the idea and my teacher said its a good start but i feel as its not really clear and maybe too much of a personal interest, especially since i don't think i am skilled enough to rely on technical skill. (sorry i feel like i'm making like no sense asdfgjkgf >_<)

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
Re: art body of work advice help
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 06:01:42 pm »
+3
I just wanted to ask for some advice about my current idea for my visual arts idea for my body of work/major work as i'm not so sure about it now ;;
my idea was to make many drawings of made up creatures/characters kind of representing creativity/curiosity interacting with me and each other in everyday life in a loose sequence.
I like the idea and my teacher said its a good start but i feel as its not really clear and maybe too much of a personal interest, especially since i don't think i am skilled enough to rely on technical skill. (sorry i feel like i'm making like no sense asdfgjkgf >_<)

I do think its a super cute idea! Perhaps if you wanted to make your idea less complicated and more straightforward, probably make up about 2-3 characters from scratch, create their personalities and draw them in situations in which they are interacting with eachother in creative/curious ways. If you feel like you dont have the perfect technical skill,  try create characters that are easy for you to draw. They dont have to be in a human form! Even a small blob or something like that may work.

Maybe you could even make a comic or something based on that idea?

Hope this answered your question :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:14:11 pm by rr28 »

applesaregreat12

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:37:22 pm »

ohhhh i see! thank you so much for the advice ! 
making a comic based on the idea sounds like a really cool way of showing the characters interactions, i think ill try to experiment with using that kind of format.
thank you again, your advice really helped ! ^^

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 10:42:42 pm »
+2
Hello!

Hope I'm not too late. We have some awesome VA resources right here if you wanna check them out!

This term and the summer holidays is a great time to experiment with your ideas and potentially refine your skill on the way. Just adding on what rr28 said, you don't really need to have the perfect technical skill. It is all about creating layers of meaning in your work (those are what markers are looking for in particular). Yes your character could look like a blob but the blob shape could be a metaphor for something (if that makes sense?)

Hope this helps :)

Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.