Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:19:53 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568038 times)  Share 

stefanie.bruzze

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #2100 on: March 09, 2019, 01:32:33 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in Year 12 and taking Legal Studies as one of my subjects.
I was just wondering how I could go about the following question in preparation for my upcoming exams:
How effective has the international community been in relation to non compliance in relation to human rights?
Can I talk about the recent issue of how Australia's compliance with the ICCPR treaty has offered inadequate protection of human rights?
OR,
should I be talking about how the criminal justice system aims to appropriately punish individuals who have shown non-compliance to the legal system
??
Thank you

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #2101 on: March 09, 2019, 01:37:17 pm »
+1
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how I could go about the following question in preparation for my upcoming exams:
How effective has the international community been in relation to non compliance in relation to human rights?
Can I talk about the recent issue of how Australia's compliance with the ICCPR treaty has offered inadequate protection of human rights?
OR,
should I be talking about how the criminal justice system aims to appropriately punish individuals who have shown non-compliance to the legal system
??
Thank you

Hey!

As the question mentions human rights, I would look at Australia's compliance with the ICCPR and other treaties. It also states the international community, so I would also bring in other countries who perhaps haven't signed a treaty or something.

Hope this helps!
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

stefanie.bruzze

• Adventurer
« Reply #2102 on: March 09, 2019, 01:47:42 pm »
Hi!

Thank you so much! This helps heaps :)

henrychapman

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2103 on: March 12, 2019, 11:54:17 am »
Hi everyone,

OR,
??
Thank you

It highly depends as to what topic of the syllabus is addressing, however I would say this comes under the HR component and thus you would to address issues of non-compliance in the international community (i.e do a set up on state sovereignty and how that means that countries don't have to comply with the international system). Essentially what you can argue that as a whole, it has not been successful because there are still many issues of non-compliance in the international community. But then even when countries sign up to International instruments/documents, this can still provide inadequate protection of human rights. You can then bring in various examples. Hope this makes sense !
HSC 2018
English Advanced: 90
Economics: 92
Legal Studies: 92
Modern History: 91
Studies of Religion II: 88
History Extension: 41
ATAR: 96.60

2019: B. Commerce/Laws @ UNSW
I offer tutoring in those top 4 subjects above, at a very reasonable price. Have numerous resources as well. Send me a message for more info :)

eliza.rose

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2104 on: March 21, 2019, 10:01:49 pm »
Hi can someone please help me answer the following question (its for a prepared response in a exam)

“Consumer law makes little difference to the achievement of justice for consumers”. Discuss this statement' (25 marks)

How do I structure this? Do I refer to the evaluation criteria? How do I start/ what do I put in the intro?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2105 on: March 21, 2019, 11:53:26 pm »
+3
Hi can someone please help me answer the following question (its for a prepared response in a exam)

“Consumer law makes little difference to the achievement of justice for consumers”. Discuss this statement' (25 marks)

How do I structure this? Do I refer to the evaluation criteria? How do I start/ what do I put in the intro?

Hey Eliza, welcome to the forums! ;D

So I didn't do consumers, I can't offer specific advice - But I did write this guide on writing Legal Studies intros you might find useful ;D also:

- Yes, refer to the evaluation criteria, it's a good way to be more sophisticated than just saying a measure is "good" or "bad" without qualification!
- Many ways to structure these essays! One paragraph per response, two paragraphs good/two paragraphs bad, one paragraph per case study, and more! No right/wrong way as long as it is logical :)

alyssastrebel

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2106 on: March 28, 2019, 08:05:05 pm »
Hi Atar Notes,

I have an exam coming up and I'm having trouble with finding ways to answer this question;
"Consumer law makes little difference to the achievement of justice for consumers" Discuss this statement.

Just having issues with what parts of the syllabus I should mention to 'agree' with this statement, since its for and against.
Thanks  :)

henrychapman

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2107 on: April 11, 2019, 09:49:24 am »
+1
Hi Atar Notes,

I have an exam coming up and I'm having trouble with finding ways to answer this question;
"Consumer law makes little difference to the achievement of justice for consumers" Discuss this statement.

Just having issues with what parts of the syllabus I should mention to 'agree' with this statement, since its for and against.
Thanks  :)

Jamon provided a brilliant response above in regards to the same essay question. I suggest you have a look at that !
HSC 2018
English Advanced: 90
Economics: 92
Legal Studies: 92
Modern History: 91
Studies of Religion II: 88
History Extension: 41
ATAR: 96.60

2019: B. Commerce/Laws @ UNSW
I offer tutoring in those top 4 subjects above, at a very reasonable price. Have numerous resources as well. Send me a message for more info :)

Gavan_Ja

• Adventurer
« Reply #2108 on: April 16, 2019, 07:24:52 pm »
G'day ladies and boars,

So I've got me a good ol' legal exam beginning of next term as ya would and what a way to spend the very long smoko break than studying!
Basically I gotta prepare 2 essay plans for family law (the one area ya wouldn't go to but ah well!) and my teacher ain't really helping so I thought I'd ask the people this one.
Does anyone have any ideas for structure in the following 2 questions, which are:

1) Assess the effectiveness of legal and non-legal measures in achieving just outcomes for family members

2) Evaluate the roles of the law and the media in responding to issues affecting family members

Any answer for this will be greatly appreciated! Thanks x

Jack

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2109 on: April 17, 2019, 10:13:32 am »
+3
G'day ladies and boars,

So I've got me a good ol' legal exam beginning of next term as ya would and what a way to spend the very long smoko break than studying!
Basically I gotta prepare 2 essay plans for family law (the one area ya wouldn't go to but ah well!) and my teacher ain't really helping so I thought I'd ask the people this one.
Does anyone have any ideas for structure in the following 2 questions, which are:

1) Assess the effectiveness of legal and non-legal measures in achieving just outcomes for family members

2) Evaluate the roles of the law and the media in responding to issues affecting family members

Any answer for this will be greatly appreciated! Thanks x

Jack

Hey Jack!

So I think the structure for these will be very similar - Both are 'assess/evaluate' questions requiring a judgement, both require analysis of legal measures/the law and non-legal measures/the media, and both want it explored in terms of issues for families. In either case, a few options for what goes in each paragraph:

- By issue! So one paragraph on divorce, one on domestic violence, one on surrogacy/birth technologies, etc etc
- By response (this would better suit the first question I guess)! So one on the legislature, one on the courts, one on the police, etc etc
- By effectiveness! So two paragraphs on good stuff (divided some way), and two on bad stuff, or something similar

Any of these would work - Depends on your preference ;D either way you'll want a solid intro and conclusion, and if you want some ideas of what specific content to include, give these summary sheets a look!

Gavan_Ja

• Adventurer
« Reply #2110 on: April 19, 2019, 07:44:49 pm »
G'day All,

Just gonna ask, anyone know of any good resources that have some decent information in relation to the topics of Crime, Family Law, Workplace and Human Rights? I'm not really asking for a book because the law is always changing and I've got a textbook (and the ATAR notes book), however, are there any other sources that help a bit?
Also, anyone know of any good podcasts for legal?

Cheers

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #2111 on: April 19, 2019, 08:50:22 pm »
G'day All,

Just gonna ask, anyone know of any good resources that have some decent information in relation to the topics of Crime, Family Law, Workplace and Human Rights? I'm not really asking for a book because the law is always changing and I've got a textbook (and the ATAR notes book), however, are there any other sources that help a bit?
Also, anyone know of any good podcasts for legal?

Cheers

Hi,

Our notes section is pretty good! It's updated on a regular basis so you should be able to find some recent stuff.

Hope this help!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Gavan_Ja

• Adventurer
« Reply #2112 on: April 21, 2019, 05:08:38 pm »
+1
Anyone know any good podcasts that relate to legal? Cheers

marstac

• Adventurer
« Reply #2113 on: May 09, 2019, 12:37:18 pm »
Hello,

Can I ask a questions in relation to the text books to study for the HSC please. I am currently studying ATAR notes book plus my teachers class notes but am now questioning whether I should also summarize the school text book as well? Thank you  :)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #2114 on: May 09, 2019, 01:29:08 pm »
+1
Anyone know any good podcasts that relate to legal? Cheers

Not that I'm aware of, sorry!

Hello,

Can I ask a questions in relation to the text books to study for the HSC please. I am currently studying ATAR notes book plus my teachers class notes but am now questioning whether I should also summarize the school text book as well? Thank you  :)

I think that's more than enough :-) The time you use for summarising the textbook can be better used completing past papers. That's not to say your textbook isn't helpful - just summarising something isn't active application of your knowledge is all.

Hope this helps!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW