Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:38:32 pm

Author Topic: 2011 VN'ers Psychology U3 Questions Thread  (Read 60997 times)  Share 

iNerd

Re: 2011 VN'ers Psychology Questions Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 07:36:04 pm »
When a question asks what ethical principles are breached does this include the NHRMC 4 principles?

I'm referring to Beneficence, Justice, Integrity and Respect for Persons.

For example, forcing a vegeterian participant to eat meat would 'breach' the ethical principle of 'respect for persons'?

...Or is this subjective and you can only list one of the 7 APS principles? (voluntary participation, withdrawal rights etc)

Shryuu

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 09:02:37 pm »
When a question asks what ethical principles are breached does this include the NHRMC 4 principles?

For example, forcing a vegeterian participant to eat meat would 'breach' the ethical principle of 'respect for persons'?

...Or is this subjective and you can only list one of the 7 APS principles? (voluntary participation, withdrawal rights etc)

a breach of beneficience i would think, as beneficience is maximising benefits, and minimising risks/harm, so it would clearly not be minimising harm?

iNerd

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 09:05:32 pm »

a breach of beneficience i would think, as beneficience is maximising benefits, and minimising risks/harm, so it would clearly not be minimising harm?
Uh 'kay, but I thought the researcher is breaching respect for the person's beliefs (which in this case is to not eat meat)...anyways that was merely an example, are we allowed to say that NHRMC principles can be 'breached'?

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 09:16:29 pm »
From memory, yes, it is acceptable to use those. However, the questions they give tend to assess voluntary participation, confidentiality, informed consent/deception, debriefing, etc. but it is not incorrect to make reference to those principles (as long as it is relevant).

iNerd

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 09:25:22 pm »
From memory, yes, it is acceptable to use those. However, the questions they give tend to assess voluntary participation, confidentiality, informed consent/deception, debriefing, etc. but it is not incorrect to make reference to those principles (as long as it is relevant).
For the above which one was right? Beneficence or Respect for persons?

Shryuu

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 10:36:58 pm »
For the above which one was right? Beneficence or Respect for persons?

Both, I think you may feel that respect for persons is more correct, because particularly in this situation, the person is a vegetarian, so that strongly doesn't respect her values or whatever
but beneficience is probably just as correct aha

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 08:00:11 pm »
Can someone give me a better explanation of the difference between Extranous and Confounding variable?

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 08:15:44 pm »
Can someone give me a better explanation of the difference between Extranous and Confounding variable?
Basically an extraneous variable is any uncontrolled variable in the experiment that may or may not have an influence on the DV. On the other hand, a confounding variable is one that does have an unwanted affect on the DV. So some uncontrolled factors don't have any affect on the DV (or results) and these are extraneous, while others do have an unwanted affect on the DV (or results) and these are confounding variable as they "confuse" the results of the experiment. Because then the experimenter doesn't know if the results were due to the affect of the IV or due to the confounding variable.
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 09:52:48 pm »
Cheers, also does anyone have a list of key words for definitions that require them? 

Also how is Research Methods tested?

iNerd

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 10:19:34 pm »
Cheers, also does anyone have a list of key words for definitions that require them? 

Integrated part of the new study design. From what I've seen they give you a case-study and then you identify where a placebo is used, what type of design is used. Some SA questions will be like, give two advantages of self-reports, two disadvantages. There might be a case study where you have to identify the IV and DV but overall I don't think there are free definition 1 mark questions.

My Q: I don't understand 'internal consistency', page 75 of the new edition.

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2011, 10:41:13 am »

Integrated part of the new study design. From what I've seen they give you a case-study and then you identify where a placebo is used, what type of design is used. Some SA questions will be like, give two advantages of self-reports, two disadvantages. There might be a case study where you have to identify the IV and DV but overall I don't think there are free definition 1 mark questions.

My Q: I don't understand 'internal consistency', page 75 of the new edition.
Okay so internal consistency refers mainly to the measurement tool used to assess behaviour or a characteristic. So lets say they wanted to look at the internal consistency for a personality test, they would compare all the questions and ensure they're testing the same thing, i.e. personality. If they found some questions were leaning towards testing something like intelligence instead then the measurement tool has a low internal consistency reliability. Each of the questions in the test must relate to each other in the sense that they're all testing the same thing. So if it was personality you were examining then ALL the questions need to be testing personality traits to achieve high internal consistency reliability.

iNerd

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2011, 06:30:19 pm »
^ Thanks.

Q: Say someone wakes a person up during NREM 4 but then the person immediately (within a minute) goes back to sleep. What stage does the person enter? Does the person start the sleep cycle again at hypongogic state (into NREM1) or straight back into NREM 4?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:10:25 pm by ATAR »

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 04:05:11 pm »
^ Thanks.

Q: Say someone wakes a person up during NREM 4 but then the person immediately (within a minute) goes back to sleep. What stage does the person enter? Does the person start the sleep cycle again at hypongogic state (into NREM1) or straight back into NREM 4?
Hmmm this is more of a trivial question, not really something that can be examined I don't think. However, just from logic I'd say they'd continue through the sleep cycle and not return back to stage 1 considering they immediately returned to sleep. Although lets say they woke up for 20 minutes or longer and there brain waves returned to a beta state then it'd be logical to assume they'd go into a hypnogogic state and then stage 1 NREM.

iNerd

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2011, 11:22:13 am »
while others do have an unwanted affect on the DV (or results) and these are confounding variable as they "confuse" the results of the experiment.
Quote textbook "a confounding variable produces a measurable change in the IV". I think I'm confused...doesn't the confounding variable produce a measurable change in the DV therefore making it impossible to determine which of the variables affected the DV.

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2011, 11:26:18 am »
while others do have an unwanted affect on the DV (or results) and these are confounding variable as they "confuse" the results of the experiment.
Quote textbook "a confounding variable produces a measurable change in the IV". I think I'm confused...doesn't the confounding variable produce a measurable change in the DV therefore making it impossible to determine which of the variables affected the DV.
Yes. It should be the confounding variable affects the DV. Must have been a typo.