Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:26:26 pm

Author Topic: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!  (Read 750430 times)  Share 

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
Re: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!
« Reply #2580 on: May 05, 2020, 07:45:15 pm »
+2
Your BR looks amazing!! Would you mind sharing it with us if you still have it on your computer??

Hey hey J_Rho! ;D

If you go to this link here, look at the very bottom of the first post and there is a digital copy!
☆Further Maths | Guide☆
*Do note: The BR is based on the matrices and geometry modules ;D*
Hope that helps!

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #2581 on: May 18, 2020, 07:28:13 pm »
Hello all!

I was wondering if there was any particular way to find out the amount of the last payment (like in part dii of the attached question)?
Is there some way on the finance solver or do you have to use recursion rules or any other ways?

Thanks!
Eloise
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #2582 on: May 18, 2020, 08:27:52 pm »
+2
Hi, eloisegrace,

I do QCE General Maths so I'm pretty sure our syllabi are extremely similar in terms of its content. However, as I have never done a recurrence relation in finding the "last payment" before, I'm going to give you my best advice: work backwards and trial and error. For example, if you have already constructed a recurrence relation for the question, I would recommend that you use your recurrence relation and substitute the multiplication/addition sign in the equation for either a division or subtraction sign. Trial and error using both methods and note what works and what doesn't work. Then, I would recommend marking your answer with the answers provided in the textbook. If your answer does not match the textbook answer, then I would recommend either referring to the worked examples in each chapter (most textbooks provide worked examples) or ask your teacher for help! They're here to help you every step along the way so please don't hesitate to ask them any questions that you may have.

Hopefully, this helps :)

Have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

makram

• Adventurer
  • Always ask why?
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #2583 on: May 20, 2020, 02:09:56 pm »
+1
Hey,

Does anyone know how the exam this year will look like considering we only need to complete one module? As in, will the time to complete the exam be reduced, or will there be more questions per module?

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2584 on: May 20, 2020, 03:43:06 pm »
+1
Does anyone know how the exam this year will look like considering we only need to complete one module? As in, will the time to complete the exam be reduced, or will there be more questions per module?

I'm not sure if anyone knows exactly yet (not even VCAA hahaha) but due to the SAC weighting I am assuming that the exam will be 50% data analysis, 25% recursion and financial modelling, and 25% the chosen module. Maybe instead of the 16/8/8/8 split in past VCAA exams for exam 1, it will be 20/10/10? And exam 2 will most likely be similarly designed? Again I don't know but this is just a guess. I would try and not worry about the things that you can't control (exam style, time) and try and focus on the things you CAN control (practice questions, consistent revision, a bound reference that suits you).
 :) :)
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

morlin01

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2585 on: September 10, 2020, 08:50:18 pm »
does anyone know whether further examiners would accept this as a 'show that' answer?

thanks XD
2019 : Business Management [46]

2020: English [43] Further Mathematics [41] Accounting [41] Italian [39]  Religion and Society [48]
ATAR: 98.45

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #2586 on: September 10, 2020, 09:22:00 pm »
does anyone know whether further examiners would accept this as a 'show that' answer?

thanks XD

It's only a 1 mark question, so that should be fine. If you REALLY want to cover your arse, you could list the equation in terms of pronumerals beforehand (V_n = V_(n-1) - D ==> V_n = V_(n-8) - 8D), but what you've written should be fine (and if my talking about equations just confused you, feel free to ignore it).

Em.C11

• Adventurer
« Reply #2587 on: September 15, 2020, 11:07:11 am »
How would I solve this if I'm not given the initial state matrix?

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2588 on: September 15, 2020, 11:58:57 am »
How would I solve this if I'm not given the initial state matrix?

Good question! Do you know what happens if you raise a transition matrix to a stupidly high power (and in this case, even just to the power of 10 is enough, though you should typically do 50 for good measure)?

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #2589 on: September 15, 2020, 01:45:29 pm »
+1
Hello all!

I was wondering if there was any particular way to find out the amount of the last payment (like in part dii of the attached question)?
Is there some way on the finance solver or do you have to use recursion rules or any other ways?

Thanks!
Eloise

I realise you asked this question a long time ago, but I thought I'd respond because I think the previous answer is not a recommended method, and it might be useful for exam revision. The best way to find the final payment of a reducing balance loan is the following.

1. Use finance solver to find the number of payments to reach future value = 0. It's likely that this will not exactly be a whole number, so round up to the next whole number to get a whole number of payments. Call this number N.
2. Find the future value after N number of payments, call this FV. This will not be zero, because you are slightly overpaying the debt by rounding up the exact number of payments required to the whole number.
3. The final payment is the regular payment amount – that future value.

Example.

Find the final payment amount for a reducing balance loan of $500000 at 5% interest p.a., compounding monthly, with monthly payments of $3200.

Step 1: The number of payments required to reach a future value of 0 is 253.1.... Round this up to 254.
Step 2: The future value after 254 payments is 2563.109.... This means 254 payments of $3200 will overpay the debt by $2563.11.
Step 3: Final payment is $3200 – 2563.11 = 636.89.

Em.C11

• Adventurer
« Reply #2590 on: September 16, 2020, 10:06:47 am »
Good question! Do you know what happens if you raise a transition matrix to a stupidly high power (and in this case, even just to the power of 10 is enough, though you should typically do 50 for good measure)?
Yes, but to do that don't you need multiply T^n times So? How do I find the So values when it's only given for the rose?

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #2591 on: September 16, 2020, 11:23:03 am »
+1
Yes, but to do that don't you need multiply T^n times So? How do I find the So values when it's only given for the rose?

You don't need to know the initial state matrix.

Suppose that \(T^{\infty} \times S_0\) is the steady state matrix. Then, for each row of \(T^{\infty}\), every column will have the same element. For row \(i\), call this number \(k_i\). Then, the number of members choosing champagne in the long term, will be \(k_1 \times \textrm{Total Number of Members}\) and similarly for the number of members choosing pinot gris, choosing rose, and choosing shiraz.

So given that you know the number of members choosing rose in the long term, you can work backwards to finding the total number of members (which is 1780, for your reference), and from there find the number of members choosing champagne in the long term.

plato

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #2592 on: September 17, 2020, 01:21:40 pm »

No. That would not be acceptable. You would have to show the transposed calculation as (38000-16000)/8. This is explained in several past examiners reports.

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2593 on: September 22, 2020, 11:45:30 am »
Hello everyone!

I was completing the 2015 Further Exam 1 and I got a bit stumped on Networks Question 8, l found some worked solutions (not from VCAA as they were not on the examiners report) and saw that they were using something called a dominance matrix. I have not learnt this for the networks module and by a quick look of the study design, it is not in the Networks section either. Is this part of the 2020 study design I have missed or was it only part of the old study design (2006-2015)?

Thank you!
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2594 on: September 22, 2020, 12:26:39 pm »
Hello everyone!

I was completing the 2015 Further Exam 1 and I got a bit stumped on Networks Question 8, l found some worked solutions (not from VCAA as they were not on the examiners report) and saw that they were using something called a dominance matrix. I have not learnt this for the networks module and by a quick look of the study design, it is not in the Networks section either. Is this part of the 2020 study design I have missed or was it only part of the old study design (2006-2015)?

Thank you!

Yeah, so - I'm gonna be honest, I help out on these threads because I know the maths to do most of what's taught in Further (emphasis on most - I have a statistics degree and still have no clue how to teach core, what a joke lmao) and notice that not much help seems to float here otherwise, but I never followed VCAA myself. So, I had to do some research for this - and couldn't find the 2015 study design for comparison. I found the one for up to 2012, and to memory the 2012 maths study design was extended to 2015, so I think we can trust it.

According to the 2012 study design, dominance matrices WERE indeed included in networks. Based on the current study design, they're only in the matrices module, so it seems to me that you can safely ignore that question.