Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:13:57 am

Author Topic: Year 11 Entry Suzanne Cory High School help????  (Read 4682 times)  Share 

GalacticProcess

• Forum Obsessive
  • The key to success, is failure.
  • Respect: +139
Year 11 Entry Suzanne Cory High School help????
« on: April 30, 2017, 09:32:44 pm »
Hi,
I have one month to prepare for the Suzanne Cory High School entrance exam into year 11. I wanted to know what sort of preparation is needed and what key topics I need to cover and/or learn before the exam. What do I need to know for maths topics and what I need to know for the English exams and writing section. Also if anyone has any previous questions or types of question people have encountered on the exam please tell me. Any tips to study and tips for the exam will be appreciated. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:24:44 am by GalacticProcess »

thammie

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +23
Re: Year 11 Entry Suzanne Cory High School help????
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 05:42:21 pm »
+4
Hi,
I have one month to prepare for the Suzanne Cory High School entrance exam into year 11. I wanted to know what sort of preparation is needed and what key topics I need to cover and/or learn before the exam. What do I need to know for maths topics and what I need to know for the English exams and writing section. Also if anyone has any previous questions or types of question people have encountered on the exam please tell me. Any tips to study and tips for the exam will be appreciated. Thanks
Hi GalacticProcess!!!!

Welcome to Atarnotes!!!!!:D The topics covered in the exam include Verbal reasoning, Numerical reasoning, Reading Comprehension, Mathematics, Persuasive writing and Creative writing. The exam I did in 2015 should be pretty similar to the exam this year (it could even be the same), so hopefully this post will help you as you prepare for the exam. (It is also important to note, however, that the essay topics will most likely be different from the one I did in 2015.)

Tips: It is essential to have good time management (especially in essay writing and maths). I found it SUPER helpful to read the questions before reading the text (for reading comprehension), which helped me save a lot of time on the exam... This is because you can find the answers in the text right away if you already know the questions, instead of  reading the text, looking at the questions and then reading the text again to find the answer... People might disagree with this method but it worked best for me I guess:).... In addition, it is very important to have good/decent vocabulary as it will help you out in verbal reasoning and essay writing...

Topics to revise for maths.... sorry but I can't really help you much haha, it's pretty much everything you've learnt last year and this year. For English, make sure you can think of ideas quickly and write really fast(this will come with practice). I was terrible at doing this but after searching the internet for essay topics and timing myself while writing, I found that I could write a lot faster. Be prepared for weird topics, especially in the creative writing test!!!! Some essay topics you can start off with are: Imagine your life as a bee(my friend got this topic in her exam a few years back) or Imagine you can see through walls(my topic in 2015).

I know the exam is quite competitive and that there isn't much time to prepare, but don't give up and just try your best, as determination will carry you a long way (I only decided to do the exam and start preparing near the mid of May as well, so don't lose hope!!). Anyway, all the best for this year!!!:)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:55:38 pm by thammie »
2019-2023: BMedSc/MD at Monash Uni
Music performance tips
How I got 48 raw in legal

GalacticProcess

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 06:01:43 pm »
Thanks for your reply thammie,
I just wanted to clarify that you sat the exam for year 11 entry? BTW what types of questions did you encounter on the maths (maths and numerical) section of the exam  (more on the problem solving side or equation based questions and what sorts of topics as in algebra, surds, etc.). How can I prepare for the exams (where to find practice tests/questions). Thanks for the reply.

thammie

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 06:17:36 pm »
+2
Thanks for your reply thammie,
I just wanted to clarify that you sat the exam for year 11 entry? BTW what types of questions did you encounter on the maths (maths and numerical) section of the exam  (more on the problem solving side or equation based questions and what sorts of topics as in algebra, surds, etc.). How can I prepare for the exams (where to find practice tests/questions). Thanks for the reply.
Yep!! I sat the exam for yr 11. :) The maths test covers a range of topics from yr 9 and 10 if I remember correctly, so it's best to look at your textbook from last year and this year to revise on those topics.... To be honest, I don't remember the exact topics since I did the exam two years ago so I'm sorry I can't really help you out much with that.
2019-2023: BMedSc/MD at Monash Uni
Music performance tips
How I got 48 raw in legal

GalacticProcess

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 06:20:47 pm »
Yep!! I sat the exam for yr 11. :) The maths test covers a range of topics from yr 9 and 10 if I remember correctly, so it's best to look at your textbook from last year and this year to revise on those topics.... To be honest, I don't remember the exact topics since I did the exam two years ago so I'm sorry I can't really help you out much with that.
Thanks so much anyway. How did you go with your essay writing task about the "Imagine you can see through walls" topic. Was it hard and if not what did you write. Thanks so much for your help.

adamyu

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Willetton Senior High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 01:52:30 pm »
+1
Hi GalacticProcess,

I have found following resources and tips contributed by pi which from my perspective are very helpful to prepare you to get an entry into Suzanne Cory High School.

Another great resource which may help you to get familiar with structure/topics/format for both Maths and English (including essay writing) and other areas is http://www.aameperth.com.au/selective-school-test where you can go for a free diagnosis assessment as well as plenty of practice questions in all areas to get you better prepared for any selective entry high school examination including the one for Suzanne Cory High School.

Best Luck!

For MHS/Mac.Rob/etc.:

For JMSS:

delena_2125

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 08:27:34 pm »

Hey, i was wondering if you did any tutouring for the examination? did u do a course at JAC? or another tutouring place? if so for how long? Another question was that where you accessed your practice tests for the yr 11 entry examination?