Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 02:46:45 pm

Author Topic: Tell me your best/worst substitute teacher story  (Read 8425 times)  Share 

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Tell me your best/worst substitute teacher story
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 05:29:26 pm »
We had a sub for two terms (my english & humanities teacher went on long service leave and then did her back) that hated children. Not only was she condescending and snide, but she didn't want to be there. It didn't help she was racist and sexist too.
We had to go on an excursion to a synagogue and a muslim heritage museum for this religious unit we were doing in hums. Keep in mind this teacher wasn't exactly the most quiet about her opinions. We get off the bus and she starts ranting about Judaism and making all these horrible remarks, right as our guide who happened to also be the Cantor walked behind her. She walked in laughing whilst we, as 14 yr olds, had to apologise for her.

Did you ever report that to somebody? That's totally unacceptable. Temps are easily replaceable :)
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 11:47:36 pm »
+2
There's this sub at our school that everyone has a love/hate relationship with.

So, once I had him and he literally locks the door so that no one who's outside can sneak in and "if we're good' he starts humming/singing which everyone finds hilarious. Another thing that he does is he gets one student from the class he's taking to get a red pen and tick this paper and he literally doesn't leave the room till that student has closed the pen. He's kinda funny but annoying at the same time, lol ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 06:33:26 pm by Snow Leopard »

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2019, 03:51:40 pm »
+6
Our school has a lot of fairly regular subs, and we've all gotten to know them quite well at this point. Each morning, our online timetable updates so we can all see if any of our rooms, class times or teachers have changed. There is always a discussion in homeroom about if we're going to have a sub (especially one of the good ones).

We have a teacher called Miss Hall, and everyone LOVES her. She's really nice and makes everyone smile. She tells great stories and is able to maintain control of the class without annoying anyone. She tells us a lot about her life. She's an actress (hence only being a substitute teacher) and so she has heaps of great drama tips. She was teaching our class English for three weeks because our normal teacher was away, and during this time she recited many Shakesperian monologues and commented on a lot of the acting in the movie we were watching (The Merchant of Venice). It was a great time. She is beloved by all and when anyone else is in a class that has her, we all get super jealous.

Mrs McDonnell is fairly standard as far as substitute teachers go. She's a little batty but tries really hard to get us to do our work. I would hate to have to do her job as our class is really awful. Having her is a wild ride because you never know quite what you're getting.

Then we have another teacher who I've been having since I came to my current school. She has a strong South African accent and loves to tell stories of her travel. She's lived many, many places and is constantly moving. Her life sounds super exciting, tbh. I remember the really annoying girl in our class in year eight asked her a million questions, starting with "why do you speak so funny" and "how can you be white if you're from South Africa"?

We also have this other crazy woman who is a million years old and clearly wishes she was retired. She never believes a word a student says and is super paranoid. She is probably the most hated woman at our school (second to the Vice Principal who enforces the uniform policy, but her crazy antics are a story for another day).

Our last "regular" sub is a guy called Mr Bartelink. He used to work at our school, but retired about five years ago. His wife still teaches at our school (very mean and scary) but he is super lovely and really funny. He teaches science and loves to have a joke with his students, so we genuinely enjoy having him.

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 09:10:48 am »
+8
very late to the party but here goes:

before i got into macrob, my old school had some.. wacky substitutes. this is a much more tame story tho so apologies for that. one time in grade 6 we had a sub who kept the whole class in for no reason (she got mad at this one kid for sharpening his pencil near the bin, she was literally insane lmao) and i think she left to get something and my homeroom teacher walked in and was so shook. she was really annoyed that she gave us a lunch time detention so she let us all out and that sub had to sub in for yard duty and she saw me. she asked me "why are you outside? you have detention". and that was the day i became an edgelord because i said to her "my teacher let me out because she's not mean like you". i thought i was so badass haha
taking a break.

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 07:56:50 pm »
+7
I do IPT and because my teacher was a year coordinator she was away a lot so we would have so many subs. Even better was that we were a class of only 5 so teachers would always be like "is that all of you" (techy subjects are too popular at all girl schools). Anyway I remember we had a brand new sub we had never had before but she was really nice. It must've been the last few weeks of the term because we didn't have much motivation, even though we had an assessment for IPT due in like a week that all of us had barely started. This lesson was given to us to work on our assessments but none of us were bothered to do work so we started playing games online. Then we all were like "omg what about poptropica". So we logged onto all our old accounts and basically spent the whole period playing poptropica and the teacher knew we weren't doing work. She even started talking to us about poptropica and what the game was about. It was honestly one of the best classes ever.
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2019, 10:00:58 pm »
My worst was my biology substitute teacher. Although she was nice and tried teaching she really wasn't helpful. All it was was slides and her trying to convince us about concepts but very ineffectively. I still remember. No one in my class knew about how transpiration or translocation worked after she 'taught' us that in year 11. We legit had to get our main bio teacher to teach us the concepts again.
-KgkG-

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 10:50:15 pm »
+4
Two weeks ago, I had a sub and I don't think I will ever forget this moment. We were having farewell parties to say goodbye to the grade 12s and some kids were jumping out the window (it's only like a meter off of the ground) and running around with their friends. My sub decided that he too could jump out the window (cause that will make the students stop, right?). He was just talking about how he used to ice skate, so he is super graceful, right? So, he ended up jumping out the window. All went well. Students were encouraging him, "Yeah sir, do it again!". "Ok" he said. Students got their phones out. Hit record. Right as he goes to jump out the window for the second time, his foot catches the windowsill.. It was far from graceful. Down he went. It looked almost like something from a comedy movie. But I give him a 10/10 for effort.

(Yes, the students who recorded it got in trouble. Yes, the sub got a talking to)
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics