Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:06:06 am

Author Topic: Explanation on a couple of prac exam questions  (Read 26929 times)  Share 

studying_hard

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Re: Explanation on a couple of prac exam questions
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2010, 12:04:24 pm »
i should have just inboxed u lol coz u always get them right. can u explain. they are from insight but i still don't the explanations
1 I wrote a because I though operant conditioning is volountry. Now that I think about it you are right but I'm sure it doesn't say this in the textbook
2 Very confident I was correct with variable interval. explain?
3 Was tossing up between B and C but went for C. Both seem to be right?
thanks
i should have just inboxed u lol coz u always get them right. can u explain. they are from insight but i still don't the explanations
1 I wrote a because I though operant conditioning is volountry. Now that I think about it you are right but I'm sure it doesn't say this in the textbook
2 Very confident I was correct with variable interval. explain?
3 Was tossing up between B and C but went for C. Both seem to be right?
thanks
thanks

1 Operant conditioning doesn't have to involve voluntary actions -> for example you can use operant conditioning on say autism. Now you can't really say that autism is a voluntary condition, could you?
2 Isn't time based. The 'reward', being the getting goals, is received every time a person received a goal. It's not given say every 15 minutes, hence the ratio. It's obviously variable cause he doesn't get goals every match.
3 Well, I'd suppose it depends on the length of time it took for the ambulance to get to Jen, pick her up and get her to the hospital. Remember, consolidation is only affected in regards to memories gained 30 minutes prior.

Bing 101

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2010, 03:52:27 pm »
I asked my teacher and its variable ratio that is most resistant to extinction. Its been explicitly stated to me a few times by various lecturers but the inconsistency with the answers in prac exams is frustrating :S.
2010 - Psychology

matt123

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Strive.
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 04:14:11 pm »
I asked my teacher and its variable ratio that is most resistant to extinction. Its been explicitly stated to me a few times by various lecturers but the inconsistency with the answers in prac exams is frustrating :S.

yeah i would beg to differ.
i think variable INTERVAL is the most resistant to extinction.
my teacher who is a past uni teacher/past examiner also believes so.

i have read however in many exams and textbooks that its variable ratio.
but i dont really agree with it .
.. the gravias textbook shows a graph aswell with variable interval being the most resistant.
2009 : Physical Education
2010  ATAR : 91.45 , Bio , Chem , Methods , Psychology , English
Completed VCE at the age of 16.
2011 : Bachelor of pharmacy
2012 : Hopefully med? " crosses fingers"

Bing 101

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2010, 04:23:54 pm »
I guess thats good then because then VCAA has to accept either, right?
I know STAV 2010 had it as Variable Ratio  along with previous TSSM questions. IARTV on the other hand said it was Variable Interval. :( So frustrating! But logically I would also say variable interval but I've just gone on what's been taught to me :s

2010 - Psychology

matt123

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Strive.
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2010, 04:28:26 pm »
I know STAV 2010 had it as Variable Ratio  along with previous TSSM questions. IARTV on the other hand said it was Variable Interval. :( So frustrating! But logically I would also say variable interval but I've just gone on what's been taught to me :s

is there any chance  u cud please upload stav or irtv 2010 psych exam?> pleasssw

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 04:38:30 pm »
Okay I finally got a chance to ask my teacher whose been an assessor for 20 years blah blah..

She said "Variable Interval" is the MOST resistant to extinction.. Because in "Interval" the participant just waits for the reinforcement so they will continue this more than having to do a behaviour like in a "Ratio" schedule..

But "Variable Ratio" produces the highest rate of responding..

So obviously it could become easy to confuse the two. (This is also from memory so what she told me could have differed slightly)..

She seemed very sure of this too. And I'd definitely listen to her cos she definitely knows what she's talking about.

Hope this helps other people cos this topic is so ambiguous.
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 

matt123

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Strive.
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 04:48:54 pm »
Okay I finally got a chance to ask my teacher whose been an assessor for 20 years blah blah..

She said "Variable Interval" is the MOST resistant to extinction.. Because in "Interval" the participant just waits for the reinforcement so they will continue this more than having to do a behaviour like in a "Ratio" schedule..

So obviously it could become easy to confuse the two. (This is also from memory so what she told me could have differed slightly)..

She seemed very sure of this too. And I'd definitely listen to her cos she definitely knows what she's talking about.

variable ratio is the fastest responding for PARTIAL schedules of reinforcement.

but the fastest in general is continuous reinforcement.
:)

Bing 101

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 05:06:23 pm »

is there any chance  u cud please upload stav or irtv 2010 psych exam?> pleasssw

I'll see if my teacher tomorrow if she has an electronic copy. We did the STAV 2010 as our prac exam. My copy is all scribbled over. IARTV is one of the ones i pulled from VCEnotes I think, I'll double check for you.
If I can I put the STAV one on the 2010 exams thread for you.
2010 - Psychology

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 05:07:45 pm »

variable ratio is the fastest responding for PARTIAL schedules of reinforcement.

hahaha! That's creepy she told me that too. Luckily I did the 05 vcaa exam which had that on there so I knew what she was talking about haha. Is there a difference between having the highest rate of responding and being acquired most rapidly? I thought variable ratio had the highest rate of responding but continuous was acquired most rapidly..?
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • :>
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 07:22:38 pm »

hahaha! That's creepy she told me that too. Luckily I did the 05 vcaa exam which had that on there so I knew what she was talking about haha. Is there a difference between having the highest rate of responding and being acquired most rapidly? I thought variable ratio had the highest rate of responding but continuous was acquired most rapidly..?
continuous reinforcement has the highest rate of response and quickest acquisition. The acquisition period is the time it takes for the specific behaviour to be learnt (I'm pretty sure that this is correct). excluding continuous reinforcement, variable ratio has the fastest rate of response, but fixed ratio has the quickest acquisition.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:25:11 pm by sillysmile »
2010: Biology 37+   Literature 25+    Physical ed 36+   Psychology 44+
ATAR: 80+ and I will be happy.
2011: Psychological science @LaTrobe (bundoora campus)

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been"-- Mark Twain

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2010, 07:28:15 pm »
and I'm pretty sure that variable interval is the most resistant to extinction.

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2010, 04:28:09 pm »
I read somewhere else that variable interval is most resistant to extinction and now I'm unsure.

matt123

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Strive.
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2010, 04:42:34 pm »
I read somewhere else that variable interval is most resistant to extinction and now I'm unsure.

It is..... Im pretty sure.

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2010, 08:04:24 pm »
it's easiest to say that variable-ratio is as you can use the gambling example. i'm pretty sure that it's variable-interval as well, but my example of "fishing" doesn't really justify it being resistant to extinction :D
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2010, 08:08:53 pm »
well there are a lot of fishermen who keep fishing for hours despite not catching any fish, but that could be explained by them just enjoying relaxing.